Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the pilot is trained in several ship types can you choose which advanced ship type to place the pilot on?

This could potentially be used to players advantage and block the Rogue from getting any more pilots!

In my solo game yesterday I had "Maestro" far left and "Outlander" as second pilot in the pilot card row.
They are both trained in the Intrepid ship type so when the Rogue hired the Maestro pilot I placed him on the Intrepid space on the Hanger Mat.

This effectively makes it impossible for the Rogue AI to hire any more pilots as the Outlander pilot must be placed on the Intrepid space which is now unavailable!

Is this part of the tactical gameplay to use in my advantage?!
An official clarification from the design team would be much appreciated.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you are only going to roll doubles of 1 type. So he'd be assigned to that ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:
But you are only going to roll doubles of 1 type. So he'd be assigned to that ship.

Hmm, I don't have the rules handy but I thought you assigned the pilot to whatever he's trained in.
If the ship type is governed by whatever you roll, and regardless of the outcome, take the leftmost pilot it kind of all works out fine.

It's actually kind of amazing that such a seemingly simple concept can end up being that confusing just going by the rules.
Think they need a bigger box in order to fit in more rules.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each of the 4 ships has a specific pair of dice that corresponds to them. If the pair match up with the left most pilot then you'd hire him for that ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:
Each of the 4 ships has a specific pair of dice that corresponds to them. If the pair match up with the left most pilot then you'd hire him for that ship.

That is only for the normal player the solo rules state the Rogue plsyer on rolling tge same die cosecutively takes the leftmost pilot if he has a ship marked on that pilots card , available.

The Rogue does not match the dice rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess I'm confused. Maybe I've been playing wrong this whole time. It says:

When the Rogue Galaxy rolls the same symbol twice in a a row, it hires the leftmost Pilot Card in the pilot row as long as it has the corresponding advance ship type available on its Hanger Mat.

I guess I read that as you it does match up with which doubles you get. It says "corresponding advance ship type", what are you corresponding to if not the ship to dice? To me if you get 2 economy and the left most pilot has Aurora available you'd hire that pilot. If you do the 2 Launch Ship and the left most pilot is trained for Intrepid you'd hire him for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that the rulebook repeatedly spells Hangar wrong makes me sad.
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:
Guess I'm confused. Maybe I've been playing wrong this whole time. It says:

When the Rogue Galaxy rolls the same symbol twice in a a row, it hires the leftmost Pilot Card in the pilot row as long as it has the corresponding advance ship type available on its Hanger Mat.

I guess I read that as you it does match up with which doubles you get. It says "corresponding advance ship type", what are you corresponding to if not the ship to dice? To me if you get 2 economy and the left most pilot has Aurora available you'd hire that pilot. If you do the 2 Launch Ship and the left most pilot is trained for Intrepid you'd hire him for that.

The ship pictures on the leftmost pilot are thr ship types and one of them matches an availablec one in the hanger, the example says as much and talks about a choice , which you dont have for die rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like in the example the Rogue rolls 2 "move a ship" actions. The ship for that action is Intrepud. Regardless of what the pilot is trained in the Rogue hires him for THAT ship if it's still available. Even though Overseer is not trained he'd go into the Intrepid. I've been playing this wrong too but got it now, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:
It looks like I'm the example the Rogue rolls 2 "move a ship" actions. The ship for that action is Intrepud. Regardless of what the pilot is trained in the Rogue hires him for THAT ship if it's still available. Even though Overseer is not trained he'd go into the Intrepid. I've been playing this wrong too but got it now, I believe.

That's correct! When it rolls two of the same dice in a row, it will hire a pilot and place it in a ship of the type shown on the dice (for example, two Colony Actions would get the Nexus) regardless of what the pilot is trained in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
cry

To be fair, it is only spelled wrong 1 time in the rulebook. This will be fixed in the next printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
runtsta wrote:
cry

To be fair, it is only spelled wrong 1 time in the rulebook. This will be fixed in the next printing.

It's spelled wrong both times in the solo rules on the inside cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
mgcoe wrote:
runtsta wrote:
cry

It's spelled wrong both times in the solo rules on the inside cover.

Noted. Sorry about that. Thank you for alerting me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottbalmes wrote:
KingJackalope wrote:
It looks like I'm the example the Rogue rolls 2 "move a ship" actions. The ship for that action is Intrepud. Regardless of what the pilot is trained in the Rogue hires him for THAT ship if it's still available. Even though Overseer is not trained he'd go into the Intrepid. I've been playing this wrong too but got it now, I believe.

That's correct! When it rolls two of the same dice in a row, it will hire a pilot and place it in a ship of the type shown on the dice (for example, two Colony Actions would get the Nexus) regardless of what the pilot is trained in.

Great, thanks for chiming in on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get it now I think but the Icons Mon the pilot cards are referred to as ship types so its very confusing in the rules.

If you roll the die one ata time , I have always played you take the action as its rolled (with the option to follow) but if the next die rolled is the same , you would have to take back the first action but noit the follow as you can follow the die.

I would really appreciate it if the solo rules for both games were rewritten and mad very clear.

Certainly put me off any of their other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
I get it now I think but the Icons Mon the pilot cards are referred to as ship types so its very confusing in the rules.

If you roll the die one ata time , I have always played you take the action as its rolled (with the option to follow) but if the next die rolled is the same , you would have to take back the first action but noit the follow as you can follow the die.

I would really appreciate it if the solo rules for both games were rewritten and mad very clear.

Certainly put me off any of their other games.

So here is a mock round. Hopefully it will help. Hopefully I get it right! lol If not I'm sure someone will post on it.

This Rogue has 6 die rolls in the example.

In the pilot row there are: Speed Demon (trained in Aurora), Peace Keeper (Trained in Ambition & Nexus), then Mogul (trained in Aurora).

1. Rogue rolls a Economy. He advances any Economy movements he has in the field.
2. Rogue rolls another Economy. He then hires Speed Demon (who is trained in Aurora).
3. Slide happens and Peace Keeper is now left most.
4. Rogue rolls a Energy. He receives Energy for each ship on a Energy planet and in home galaxy.
5. Rogue rolls another Energy. He now hires Peace Keeper for Ambition. He's not trained for it but it does not matter he still pilots Ambition now.
6. Slide happens and Mogul is now left most.
7. Rogue rolls Economy. He advances any Economy movements he has in the filed.
8. Rogue rolls another Economy. He does not hire Mogul (who is trained in Aurora) because that ship has already been hired out. Now uses the Economy die normally and he advances all Economy Movements he has in the field.

Hopefully this makes sense. The icons on the pilots ships are used for multi-player games where they are VERY much needed. For solo play maybe it would be easier if you just ignored them. They seem to be getting in your way and they mean nothing for the Rogue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Snyder
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
This was helpful, although there are still a couple of confusing parts to me. It would be nice if an official Beyond the Black solo rules sheet was uploaded to the file section with all the rules and a few examples for confusing parts like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrvague101 wrote:
This was helpful, although there are still a couple of confusing parts to me. It would be nice if an official Beyond the Black solo rules sheet was uploaded to the file section with all the rules and a few examples for confusing parts like this.

I agree... I would have bet money on the pilot's training being the important factor for choosing which ship to fly and not the dice... This is REALLY unclear :-\

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.