Subject: 10-12 people, newbies, competition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Schwarz
Germany
wendlingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning to have a group event with my colleagues (all of them engineers). The plan is to play some easy board games and drinking beer, later barbecue.
We'll be 10-12 people.

What games should we play?

- newbie friendly
- easy and fast to learn
- easy
- fast
- short
- competative
- 6-12 Players (I think it's ok to play two games simultanously on two tables which means 6 players/game)
- one or two games
- fun for 3h (5h event including barbecue)

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreu P.
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that this awesome Geeklist is just what you need. There you can find the most recommended light games for such a big player count or, alternatively, for 6 players if you intend to get a couple of games and play them simultaneously.

Since it's easier to get tired of fast/light games after several consecutive plays, I'd probably consider getting 2 or 3 good, light and cheap games for 5-6 players and just cycle them between two groups of people. It's going to be a much better investment too, because you'll be able to play them in future not-so-huge meetings. For instance, I'd go with Codenames, Sushi Go Party and/or Bohnanza, which are all fun and easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkVaati wrote:
For instance, I'd go with Codenames, Sushi Go Party and/or Bohnanza, which are all fun and easy to learn.

Add, Telestrations: 12 Player Party Pack, Wits & Wagers which can be done in teams, and Formula D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go Party!
Codenames: Pictures

but also take a look at Captain Sonar. It plays up to 8 people and its a co-operative competitive game. It might be a little more difficult than what you were thinking however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Two Rooms and a Boom is a good one for big groups
You can co-opt regular Dixit to support 12 players, just like the OOP Dixit Odyssey.
I'd second Wits & Wagers and Sushi Go Party! Codenames is good but can drag on with that many people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames is my best recommendation. I brought it out a Christmas one year and it grew from a 4 player game to a 10 player game over a short amount of time. New players can join in by just joining a team. The rules are relatively simple, and if you have two people who know how to play, they can give clues the first time and the others will understand by doing more than anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.