BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Can I bring cards on a plane? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Reid
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm going on a holiday soon and was wondering if my carry-on bag would be searched if there was a game of Love Letter and a deck of cards. Does anyone know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
no. if you throw them hard enough they can be a lethal weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you carry them in a box with wires and a timer, then yeah, probably.

Otherwise it is pefectly legal to carry a deck of cards and it shouldn't look suspicious enough to get your luggage searched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did that recently with several card games and had no problem passing security. Nevertheless, in my experience there are vast differences in the screening between airports so I doubt anyone can guarantee you that you will not be subject to a special check. But if it is just games you should pass that easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have twice traveled with large amount of cards (Summoner Wars: Master Set once and a shoebox full of Magic decks one) in my carry-on bag and had it searched because they apparently show up as suspiciously dense on the x-ray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You should be fine, but I would just stay away from games like Bomb Squad, Bomb Squad Academy and Time Bomb, just to avoid any potential misunderstanding if you wanted to play while flying or your bag got randomly inspected..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"All my favorite foods have butter on them. Pancakes, toast, popcorn, grapes...butter is my favorite food!"
mbmbmbmbmb
lol you'd be fine.
If I can bring sharp long bits of metal (knitting needles) you can bring your cards, Gambit.

Just don't imbue them with kinetic energy and throw them at people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Reid
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are perfectly legal to bring on the plane but that doesn't mean they won't trigger a search.

As wamsp mentioned above, the cards could show up as suspicious on the X-Ray and trigger a search.

I had this happen once with my tablet and was simply pulled aside at the end and asked to open my bag for them. As the bag was pretty empty other than my tablet and accessories, they were fine just looking in and didn't make me pull anything out. The TSA person was actually really cool and explained that sometimes the attached keyboard makes the tablets appear as a laptop on the X-Ray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Get these mother lovin' cards of this mother lovin' plane!'

*Drops mic, exits stage left*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Netslummer wrote:
lol you'd be fine.
If I can bring sharp long bits of metal (knitting needles) you can bring your cards, Gambit.

Just don't imbue them with kinetic energy and throw them at people.

Or if you're Bullseye, you can skip the kinetic energy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nagels
Belgium
Olen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
You should be fine, but I would just stay away from games like Bomb Squad, Bomb Squad Academy and Time Bomb, just to avoid any potential misunderstanding if you wanted to play while flying or your bag got randomly inspected..

Ah man, I was going to say that..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently brought Vast: The Crystal Caverns in its box and Unfair in seven ziplock bags on my carry on. Unfair is more or less 6 decks of cards, so you should be fine with just two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IDK, Love Letter has images that display massive cleavage so depending on where you're travelling to,.....might make a difference?

( . Y . )

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to database of suspicious folks to always be searched.

Luke Reid of Ireland.... seems pretty suspicious. What is the reason for your visit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards....yes
Snakes....no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards on a plane? Wow, that's some risk.

Are they coated in nitroglycerin?

If you slam them too hard, do they explode?
If the answer is yes, then it's probably not a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a serious reply...

Magic players have run into issues getting their bag pulled aside for search by TSA at some larger airports. Reason being is a large stack of cards in a deck box comes off as a solid brick of something under x-ray. I personally had this happen in Chicago O'Hare a couple of times. Same with vinyl records.

So yeah, I doubt Love Letter or a standard deck of cards would ever raise an eyebrow, but there is a legitimate awareness that needs to be brought up for anyone bringing a whole bunch of card games or deck boxes with them on a plane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
On a serious reply...

Magic players have run into issues getting their bag pulled aside for search by TSA at some larger airports. Reason being is a large stack of cards in a deck box comes off as a solid brick of something under x-ray. I personally had this happen in Chicago O'Hare a couple of times. Same with vinyl records.

So yeah, I doubt Love Letter or a standard deck of cards would ever raise an eyebrow, but there is a legitimate awareness that needs to be brought up for anyone bringing a whole bunch of card games or deck boxes with them on a plane.

Seconding this - any game that's sufficiently dense will probably get your bag searched. I've had this happen multiple times with Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, for example.

Fortunately I've just had to open the box lid and not actually had to go through the contents or anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Casey
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pull my Doomtown Reloaded decks out of my bag before scanning, but I still have this conversation weekly with my friends at TSA:

TSA: What's in the box?

Me: Playing cards.

TSA: What, like Magic cards?

Me: Yep.

TSA: *rolls eyes* Seriously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Valladolid
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get stopped and have my bag searched every time I travel with games, but I usually, travel with larger board games. You would probably be ok with a small amount of card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
On a serious reply...

It looks like plastic explosives. It's a large, solid, uniform brick of organic matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards should be fine. If you play Twister on a plane, you'll get yelled at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Specifially back scatter X-rays detect organic matter, such as paper. So your cards may appear as a square shaped white brick on the X-Ray which is going to look like a brick of C4.

You are allowed to bring them but your bag may be searched. No big deal, it might take you 5 extra minutes to go through security.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Gambone
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't bring a metal tin to carry them. We brought spot it for my 4 year old last plane trip, and they didn't like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.