Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's assume I am playing a 3 person game and have 3 blue Biotix. At some point in the game, I end up with 2 more than the limit (either someone explodes and gives me 2, or I receive 2 from multiple players before it reaches my time to resolve reactions).

What happens? Do I:

A) Resolve the first added blue before the second is added: I now have 4 blue, so I give 1 to each other player. I now have 2 remaining, which I trash. Now resolve second added blue separately: I place the 5th blue in an empty space. I end up with 1 blue on my board.
or
B) Resolve the two added blues together: I now have 5 blue, so I give 1 to each other player. I now have 3 remaining, which I trash. I end with no blue on my board.

The source of this confusion is the rules saying reactions "are resolved immediately, one BIOTIX at a time to the completion of a reaction", but that doesn't appear to be 100% correct (if reactions were truly resolved "immediately", there would never be multiple chain reactions active at a time, since the first would resolve before the next started).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Huff
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario B would be what happens. Whenever a player executes a blue reaction, they should end up with no blue Biotix in their dish.

Resolving reactions "immediately" is in reference to when a player places one of the two Biotix that they draw for their turn.

After this initial resolution, should multiple players have a reaction possible due to the execution of the initial reaction, players would execute reactions clockwise from the current active player (the player with the bag). This was intended to avoid confusion among players and to streamline the fallout from the initial reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
somuchfail wrote:
After this initial resolution, should multiple players have a reaction possible due to the execution of the initial reaction, players would execute reactions clockwise from the current active player (the player with the bag). This was intended to avoid confusion among players and to streamline the fallout from the initial reaction.

Odd. That seems different from the guidance >here<

Smirky wrote:
Player A would remain the active player. However, the reaction check would move clockwise from player C after he resolved the yellow reaction. Therefore, player D would be the next to check for (and execute) a reaction. Then back around to player A and then to player B, until all reactions are resolved.

Do we:
A) Keep marching around the board in a circle until all reactions are resolved (Curt), or
B) Keep jumping back to player B each time there are multiple Reactions when someone is done resolving a Reaction (rulebook / Zachary). This may (or maybe not) result in jumping back to player B in the middle of a player resolving reactions: if player C has 2 reactions, but his first reaction results in a reaction for player B...now player B has 1 and player C has 1...multiple reactions = start at player B? RAW would say yes).
C) Jump back to player B the first time multiple reactions occur, then continue around the board in a circle (so only jump once)?

Option A actually seems the most straight-forward, since you always resolve in a clockwise order (starting with the active player when they play their first drawn Biotix).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Huff
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies, I believe that I misspoke. You would not move back to the active player as I had said. Curt's explanation states it best.

Smirky wrote:
Player A would remain the active player. However, the reaction check would move clockwise from player C after he resolved the yellow reaction. Therefore, player D would be the next to check for (and execute) a reaction. Then back around to player A and then to player B, until all reactions are resolved.

After the initial reaction takes place, subsequent reactions are checked for and resolved in clockwise order. You would only jump back to the active player after all reactions are resolved in all dishes on the table.

I think the confusion was in the difference between initial reactions and chain reactions, as they are handled slightly differently. Initial reactions are immediately resolved when a player places a Biotix. Chain reactions that result from the execution of an initial reaction are handled in clockwise order from the player that executed the initial reaction, with players executing all possible reactions in their dish when the check reaches them. In this way, it is possible for the check to double back to a player as it moves around the player, but players would resolve all possible reactions currently in their dish when it is their turn in the reaction check after the initial reaction.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
somuchfail wrote:
I think the confusion was in the difference between initial reactions and chain reactions, as they are handled slightly differently. Initial reactions are immediately resolved when a player places a Biotix. Chain reactions that result from the execution of an initial reaction are handled in clockwise order from the player that executed the initial reaction, with players executing all possible reactions in their dish when the check reaches them. In this way, it is possible for the check to double back to a player as it moves around the player, but players would resolve all possible reactions currently in their dish when it is their turn in the reaction check after the initial reaction.

Hope this helps!

That answer is perfect, and makes tons of sense. So play always moves clockwise (from the last reaction that occurs), and each player resolves all reactions present in the order of their choice.

For future printings, I would recommend rewording the rules from "resolve each, from the active player's left and proceed around the table", to "resolve each, clockwise starting at the last reaction completed. If a player has multiple reactions on their petri dish, they resolve all of them in the order of their choice before moving to the next player".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.