Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Yamataï» Forums » General

Subject: Definitely NOT colorblind friendly. One of the worst I've ever tried, in fact. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this game at an Asmodee demo event at a convention, and was unable to even get through a single round. The green and brown ships looked like slightly different shades, but the green and brown ships on the cards looked ONE HUNDRED PERCENT IDENTICAL. I tried shifting the card around in the light, pointing my phone flashlight at it... nothing. The colors looked so identical that I had to ask repeatedly if the other players were messing with me.

That companies the size of Asmodee are still messing this up blows my mind. It's one thing for Renegade (FUSE) or Plan B (Century: Spice Road) to be making these mistakes in 2017, but Asmodee is a giant. They should know better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not even color-friendly. My eyesight is really good and those colors are horrible :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
With more than one color blind member in our gaming group, sorry to hear that. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, as a normal-eyesight person (better than 20/20 actually), the two orangeish color of Culture Tokens were WAYYYYYY too similar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurgen Migneaux
Belgium
Wervik
flag msg tools
mb
aldaryn wrote:
For me, as a normal-eyesight person (better than 20/20 actually), the two orangeish color of Culture Tokens were WAYYYYYY too similar

I agree, but they have a different symbol, so it's not really an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Williams
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that's what they said about red vs pink in The Oracle of Delphi! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I completely agree. I played a demo at the UK Games Expo. While the group of us really enjoyed the mechanics of the game, we gave up half way through because two of us are colourblind and even the other two had difficulty with it.

If they had chosen more sensible colours with the boats (perhaps blue and white replacing two out of red, brown and green) then I definitely would have bought it, but how it is, it's almost unplayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up on this. Now I'm in the dilemma of supporting a company that does this and going through the work of marking it up to make it playable or just passing on the game. I've read the rules and it really seems like something we would like, but now I just don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are five different colours of ships and six different colours of token. I can't think of any 11-colour combination that would work for all kinds of colour-blindness. They even had to duplicate colours for the player pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
There are five different colours of ships and six different colours of token. I can't think of any 11-colour combination that would work for all kinds of colour-blindness. They even had to duplicate colours for the player pieces.

That's why you use shapes or iconography. Relying solely on color is bad game development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:

5 distinct colours for the boats (black, white, pink, blue and gold would work pretty well). Then 4 different colours (which are similar to the boat colours) for the player pieces (perhaps purple, red, yellow and grey). It doesn't matter at all if colourblind people have difficulty seeing the differences in colour between a player piece and a boat, as they're a completely different shape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Smith
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
The Elephant in the room!!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree I am sure I would have bought this game as the game play is excellent but this was the first game that I demoed at UKGE and I couldn't tell the ships apart on the cards so I can't play it. I had slightly less problem with the ships themselves but still difficult even the colour sighted players that I was playing with had a problem.
Come on Days of Wonder you must do better than this!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree completely and this was also my assessment a few months back when I first played it. I am colour-blind and this game is virtually unplayable. It took so much effort to distinguish the colours and I got major AP trying to look at the board and figure out what my options were.
What a horrible graphic design flaw.

By the way, the game is ok, not that great. It is clearly inferior to Five Tribes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.M. Diller
United States
North Street
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaoticGemini wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on this. Now I'm in the dilemma of supporting a company that does this and going through the work of marking it up to make it playable or just passing on the game. I've read the rules and it really seems like something we would like, but now I just don't know.

Yeesh, I don't think they're out to get anybody. You make it sound like they're evil. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our colorblind player said that of the many hundreds of board games he's played over the years, it's far and away the worst he's ever seen for being colorblind unfriendly - he says it's the only game he just flat out can't play in any practical sense, even with assistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdiller wrote:
ChaoticGemini wrote:

Yeesh, I don't think they're out to get anybody. You make it sound like they're evil. devil

Not intented to sound evil, but a large part of game success is measured in profits. If a game is unplayable without alterations, I'm not sure I want to add my dollars to its success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Crimm
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaoticGemini wrote:
Not intented to sound evil, but a large part of game success is measured in profits. If a game is unplayable without alterations, I'm not sure I want to add my dollars to its success.

I agree entirely. Heavy modification of the game would be needed to make it playable (to three different boat colors as well as the building cards.) That's not something a publisher should expect their customer to do. Days of Wonder should be the ones fixing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The colors as is make sense, blue, white and black would just be weird. What would we change the boats type to, sugar, coal, and indigo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alton Utt
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argenfarkle wrote:
Yep, that's what they said about red vs pink in The Oracle of Delphi! :cool:

Just had the chance to play this several days ago...

I have played Oracle of Delphi several times, and had minimal problems with it (the stickers help a lot, so I usually only need to inquire about colors a couple time a game, not several times a turn for nearly everything on the board).

The colors choices used in Yamatai are far worse than any Feld game I have ever played (the temple setup for Luna is probably close though), and color is part of the central mechanism for Yamatai, so I can't try to find an alternative strategy that compensates for it.

I really wanted to like this game, and the mechanisms seem like a game I should like, but the colors they used make the game more frustrating than fun.

Theoretically, if you could find a good source for different color ships, that would go a long way toward fixing it.

Unpainted wood for green (wood)
Leave brown as is
Pink might work well for red.

I'm really tempted to buy some cubes from the geek store to use instead of ships (less thematic, yes, but better than the current experience). Since the geek store has both wood and plastic cubes, you could use wood for one color and plastic for another which would let one keep the existing colors and use shape/texture to differentiate.

The cards would still be a problem, but you could either use someplace like ArtsCow to make new cards, or actually write a one letter color code next to each color on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.