Subject: (No spoiler) Moving ships together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any reason the rules talk about moving ships together? I'm just about to start playing, so if there's some future rule where this is significant, please don't give me any specifics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
without revealing anything i think there are advantages to keeping your ships together or keeping them apart. if you keep them together they can support one another in endeavors. if you separate them you can potentially maximize buy / sell strategies. for instance you could buy goods on two separate islands if you had a boat at each. you could also have access to more exploration sites by having one boat at two different islands.

there are future rules that will impact whether you chose to separate your ships or keep them together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without spoiling anything, there are future events that trigger when you sail into a space. By moving your ships together, you would only face them once instead of twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericamick2 wrote:
Is there any reason the rules talk about moving ships together? I'm just about to start playing, so if there's some future rule where this is significant, please don't give me any specifics.

Having your ships together grants a +1 roll on pretty much all endeavors and defenses against attacks.

95% of the time in all our 14 games all ships are moved together. There are very *very* few situations where it makes sense to split them up. Kind of a shame really. It feels like having the second ship doesn't really mean anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP asked about the rules that talk about moving together (not keeping together). By adding this in, I think it also makes it clear that you can choose to move them separately, even when they both start/end in the same place. This might also be useful later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There are very *very* few situations where it makes sense to split them up.

Right off the bat, splitting your ships to be able to buy goods at multiple islands at once is often useful.

Later on, it can be useful to park a ship at a certain island, but you may not want to only do stuff there, so splitting can be great.

I just finished my third campaign, winning by a total of 3 Glory ONLY because I was able to split my ships.

It's true, that most of the time, the benefits to keeping your ships together outweigh the benefits of splitting them up -- and often, if one ship sinks, I can just finish out the game with one rather than spending crucial time rebuilding. But I find that the strategic advantage of having that second ship is great, and splitting them at the right time can be extremely important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
Without spoiling anything, there are future events that trigger when you sail into a space. By moving your ships together, you would only face them once instead of twice.

Wait, what?

Technically, you don't move them "together". You move one, resolve that, and then move the other. Each can individually trigger the effects you mean, if their movement fulfills the requirements.

I'm kinda sure-ish I'm not playing that wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
Willottica wrote:

Wait, what?

Technically, you don't move them "together". You move one, resolve that, and then move the other. Each can individually trigger the effects you mean, if their movement fulfills the requirements.

I'm kinda sure-ish I'm not playing that wrong.

No, you *can* move them together if you wish (or move them one at a time if you prefer). See p.9 in the rules ("If ships are in the same space, you may choose to move them together.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I think you might be mistaken in that certain effects can only be triggered by one ship, not both -- though it depends on what you're referring to.

In Rule 4, for example,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
an existing dangerous waters can trigger for both ships if travelling separately, or only one ship as the flagship if travelling together.

But in Rule 3,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
you can only trigger one uncharted waters per turn, even if ships move separately and land in different hexes.

Were you referring to something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
See p.9 in the rules ("If ships are in the same space, you may choose to move them together.")

Wow, totally missed that. That's where my confusion came from, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was referring to rule 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.