Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: ANA going exclusively with Alliance for distribution! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A H
msg tools
This will be devastating for all other distributors. I'm guessing ANA, including all the companies gobbled up, makes up 70% of sales for distributors.

I wonder why ANA didn't just buy Alliance...

http://www.alliance-games.com/downloads/ANA_AGD_FAQs.pdf

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/37650/asmodee-north-amer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47TrshGFZ8A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having ACD in our area, I feel for them. Not sure how much $$ this means, but I hope they hang in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Powers
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Not sure if that is sarcasm, but for several companies, it is.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Femme Worth
msg tools
mb
Is that as bad as it sounds? (For everyone other than ANA and Alliance.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mregamr wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

Tom

I've been told hundreds (literally) of times: "If your business model can't adapt to market changes, maybe your business deserves to die." I do feel for companies that are hit hard by this, specifically for GTS (I consider the local VP a friend and would prefer to keep most of my ordering with him), but also know that the good ones will make it through.

I think this will be good news for you (Tom), as my gut instinct* is that in a few months online restrictions will be loosened somewhat, which will likely open the door for B&B2 to get fully back into the game.

*My gut instinct may be wrong, and I can't really explain it, but I really feel this will be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A H
msg tools
darthhugo wrote:
Having ACD in our area, I feel for them. Not sure how much $$ this means, but I hope they hang in there.

I like ACD as well. From an outsider's perspective, they have good operations. Plus they carry a wider variety of products outside of card/board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Powers
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
mregamr wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

Tom

I've been told hundreds (literally) of times: "If your business model can't adapt to market changes, maybe your business deserves to die." I do feel for companies that are hit hard by this, specifically for GTS (I consider the local VP a friend and would prefer to keep most of my ordering with him), but also know that the good ones will make it through.

I think this will be good news for you (Tom), as my gut instinct* is that in a few months online restrictions will be loosened somewhat, which will likely open the door for B&B2 to get fully back into the game.

*My gut instinct may be wrong, and I can't really explain it, but I really feel this will be the case.

LOL...not sure HOW I feel about that

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mregamr wrote:
JRietveld wrote:
mregamr wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

Tom

LOL...not sure HOW I feel about that

Tom

Tom's baaaaaaack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Briggs

LYNNWOOD
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmb
I hope it is not devastating for the other distributors,obviously they will take a hit losing this distribution channel, and maybe ANA will loosen up some rules they have which prevents online retailers who do not have a Brick and Mortar store to sell their lines. I has a BM store in the past.just getting back into selling, and opting selling in the cloud rather than a physical presence has its challenges when some lines will not sell to me because of the cloud only selling. Will see what happens, though GTS has been and will continue to be a supply line.

EDit: I thought again about what this means, a good move for Alliance, may end up not being a good move for ANA as they benefited from the work of four distributors promoting their games, now down to one, and how often have retailers bought because of the salesperson promoting the product. I just did on an upcoming release. Though social media, and a site like board game geek is a means of getting the word out to other buyers, the distributor has a vested interest in promoting to the retail outlet what is sitting on their shelves, and when you funnel down the mouthpiece you risk a drop in your sales. Time will tell if this is a good move or not, certainly for Alliance and the upward pricing of games it is a coup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smith
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bootz wrote:
This will be devastating for all other distributors. I'm guessing ANA, including all the companies gobbled up, makes up 70% of sales for distributors.

Perhaps they are in the process of buying...though that would seem to negate the rumors on BGG that Asmodee's parent company is seeking to sell Asmodee from Hasbro. How would adding a distributor help Hasbro? Asmodee already has means of selling direct as does Hasbro, neither really needs Alliance if that is the case.

But what I really wanted to say is that I think 70% is a HUGE over-estimate. When the news began to trickle out a few days ago, I took a look around my store. I don't currently have an account with Alliance and wondered how much of a difference this would make.

I was surprised to find that very little falls under the Asmodee umbrella. Sure, IA and X-Wing are there, as is a very large percentage of gateway games, but once past that, there's still a crap ton of publishers to choose from:
CMON, Rio Grande, Renegade, Stronghold, Iello, R&R, AEG, IB&C, Fireside, Cryptozoic, and I could keep on going.

Check your collection, perhaps you'll find the same.

I'm not saying it won't hurt them, just that it won't 70% hurt them.
(Although GTS and some others also lost CMON)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Those gateway titles and ffg quarterly expansions move a lot of volume though, while those little guys are sold out of their hot titles half the time.

(Not that i think 70 percent is a great ballpark guess either, though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A H
msg tools
JesseMax wrote:
bootz wrote:

...How would adding a distributor help Hasbro? Asmodee already has means of selling direct as does Hasbro, neither really needs Alliance if that is the case.

Hasbro does not sell direct to anyone except big box stores. Everyone else is served through distributors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JesseMax wrote:
bootz wrote:

Perhaps they are in the process of buying...though that would seem to negate the rumors on BGG that Asmodee's parent company is seeking to sell Asmodee from Hasbro. How would adding a distributor help Hasbro? Asmodee already has means of selling direct as does Hasbro, neither really needs Alliance if that is the case.

But what I really wanted to say is that I think 70% is a HUGE over-estimate. When the news began to trickle out a few days ago, I took a look around my store. I don't currently have an account with Alliance and wondered how much of a difference this would make.

I was surprised to find that very little falls under the Asmodee umbrella. Sure, IA and X-Wing are there, as is a very large percentage of gateway games, but once past that, there's still a crap ton of publishers to choose from:
CMON, Rio Grande, Renegade, Stronghold, Iello, R&R, AEG, IB&C, Fireside, Cryptozoic, and I could keep on going.

Check your collection, perhaps you'll find the same.

I'm not saying it won't hurt them, just that it won't 70% hurt them.
(Although GTS and some others also lost CMON)

70% is way too high, but it is still a very large %.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

I just got an update from ANA. Clearly the sky is truly falling:

1) My prices through Alliance will be better than through any of the distributors previously.
2) More stores will be allowed to sell online.
3) Online prices will be dropping.

It's a Geek Armageddon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A H
msg tools
So it appears they have completely reversed and are instituting a maximum 20% off of MSRP. Good luck enforcing that with Amazon and big box stores (hint, the big box retailer always wins).

They have also managed to make a confusing policy even more confusing. Lots of subjective words and phrases. Interestingly, they removed the banning of marketplace sales, instead saying you must sell under your ANA business name.

https://www.asmodeena.com/en/specialty-retailers-application...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bootz wrote:
So it appears they have completely reversed and are instituting a maximum 20% off of MSRP. Good luck enforcing that with Amazon and big box stores (hint, the big box retailer always wins).

They have also managed to make a confusing policy even more confusing. Lots of subjective words and phrases. Interestingly, they removed the banning of marketplace sales, instead saying you must sell under your ANA business name.

https://www.asmodeena.com/en/specialty-retailers-application...

I'd hardly call this completely reversing. It's more like a fine tuning (and I am sure some adjustment.
They had previously (apparently) increased OLGS cost to end up with a 15% off MSRP. Now they have significantly dropped that cost again, but set their own cap at 20% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Previous member discount for my FLGS. Buy 4 games at $19.99 and up. Take the average and apply that to the discount on the 5th game you buy.

FLGS just posted that Asmodee and HABA games are now completely excluded. No discount. No counting towards it.

My only motivation for buying Asmodee games at my FLGS was due to the member's discount which put them within certain range of online pricing and now that's gone. So congrats Asmodee, you created policy which makes me spend less at my FLGS and buy more from online, see Aamazon who is virtually immune to your shenanigans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Previous member discount for my FLGS. Buy 4 games at $19.99 and up. Take the average and apply that to the discount on the 5th game you buy.

FLGS just posted that Asmodee and HABA games are now completely excluded. No discount. No counting towards it.

My only motivation for buying Asmodee games at my FLGS was due to the member's discount which put them within certain range of online pricing and now that's gone. So congrats Asmodee, you created policy which makes me spend less at my FLGS and buy more from online, see Aamazon who is virtually immune to your shenanigans.

Giving zero discount is your retailer's choice - the MAP isn't MSRP.
We have used a punch card system as our lowest level rewards program for years, and every single MAP company has approved it.
There are plenty of perfectly acceptable alternatives that fit well within MAP guidelines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Due to new manufacturer policies

That doesn't sound like something they are doing freely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Quote:
Due to new manufacturer policies

That doesn't sound like something they are doing freely.

You are correct - it sure doesn't sound like it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sweeney
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

Actually, I believe they are excluding CMON and HABA. Their new MAPP is smaller than 20%. Asmodee/FFG/Z-Man should still be under the program.

Sorry, memorable program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beardo Deluxe wrote:
matthean wrote:

Actually, I believe they are excluding CMON and HABA. Their new MAPP is smaller than 20%. Asmodee/FFG/Z-Man should still be under the program.

Sorry, memorable program.

That makes more sense. There are still ways to include MAP items in a rewards program, but it does take a little more work:
1) EASY - Only the 5th item needs to be excluded from the buy 4 get average free.
2) MORE WORK - Give in-store credit for earlier purchases. MAP items can be bought with in-store credit.
3) EASIEST - Get permission from MAP companies to allow in-store rewards pro9grams like these. Most will accommodate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.