Subject: Yet another typical self-centered, shallow American white boy.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Or maybe not.

http://us.cnn.com/2017/05/31/us/portland-train-stabbing/inde...

This is what really, really pisses me off about Trump and his fellow travelers. This is what America is and always has been, but one moron out of 100 ordinary Americans make the rest of us look foolish.

Take Trump, for instance ....

PUH-LEEZE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
America is, and always has been, both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Micah Fletcher is right, the girls are likely to be seriously traumatized - I can't imagine what having someone, let alone two people, die for you would be like.

Of course that just emphasises that he is an exceptional person, in a long line of heroes (and I don't often use that word) who downplay their achievements.

I think most places there are the small minority who are this good, the small minority who are that bad (the attacker I mean of course) and most are in between. Except those who have been there and done that, especially those trained, you never know who will stand up. But you can make guesses, and I'm pretty sure I'd not be him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
classy, use a tragedy to make a political point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
costguy wrote:

When was the last time someone made a political point about something positive?

"The flowers are beautiful outside; let's stop global warming!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:

You haven't been paying attention since the advent of Politics?

It's OK, not a game for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:

It's a tragedy that stems directly from politics - white supremacy and hatred of Muslims and immigrants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:

Are you talking about the OP or the man's statement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
[q="costguy"]classy, use a tragedy to make a political point.

I am pretty sure almost dying means you get to make a point, political or no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
costguy wrote:

I am pretty sure almost dying means you get to make a point, political or no.

I'm pretty sure you've assumed the wrong answer to the question you asked in your previous post. Any criticism was of the OP. The comment by the man who nearly died wasn't political.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe CG's answer is to pray away the guns.... like this whackadoo from Kentchucky

Dipshit Kentucky Guv Puts God On Patrol To Reduce Bag Things

If you are rationale person, then it appears Kentucky may not be a good place for you to live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:

I really hate this fucking soundbite, 100% of the time, no matter who says it.

Politics is how we collectively make fucking decisions. Some of those decisions are about how to prevent tragedies. Go fucking figure that people might be motivated to talk about tragedy prevention when one occurs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
costguy wrote:

I really hate this fucking soundbite, 100% of the time, no matter who says it.

Politics is how we collectively make fucking decisions. Some of those decisions are about how to prevent tragedies. Go fucking figure that people might be motivated to talk about tragedy prevention when one occurs.

But there was no talk about tragedy prevention, there was just "Trump dumb, ha ha ha".

Or perhaps I was being dense and the OP was suggesting, as was later posited, that Trump policies were contributory to this happening. If that were the case then sure, using a tragedy to point things out would of course be not so bad.

But this was a case of
"Look at this asshole who is not representative of the majority of Americans...kind of reminds me of Trump."

as I read it at least. not:
"Look at this asshole, This is why Trumps policies on immigration/Muslims are not representative of the average American's position."

IF the OP was talking about train safety, or gun violence, or knife violence or linked it to Trump's policies I would give it a pass, but this really just comes off as, "Look at this Jerk, hey, you know who is also a Jerk..."

Perhaps I am wrong.

Kind of like how there was suddenly a completely unrelated link and a statement about "praying away the guns" that had absolutely nothing to do with the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
costguy wrote:
But this was a case of
"Look at this asshole who is not representative of the majority of Americans...kind of reminds me of Trump."

Exactly.

You complained that he was making a political point.

But now you're complaining that he didn't make a political point.

Like what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crescent_gamer wrote:
costguy wrote:
But this was a case of

Exactly.

Like what?

Consistency is not in the conservative playbook - just the term "whatever works, now, at whatever cost"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crescent_gamer wrote:
costguy wrote:
But this was a case of

Exactly.

Like what?

So calling Trump an asshole is not a political point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
costguy wrote:
crescent_gamer wrote:
costguy wrote:
But this was a case of

Exactly.

Like what?

It's a fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
But there was no talk about tragedy prevention, there was just "Trump dumb, ha ha ha".

Look that's fine. If you think someone is being thoughtless after a tragedy, I say feel free to call them out on it. But that's not the same thing as "making a political point".

The irony is that the person who tells someone not to make political points when a tragedy occurs, and instead to wait until "emotions die down and we can all talk about things rationally" or whatever, is ALSO making a political point! They're trying to influence policy. They're just being disingenuous about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
crescent_gamer wrote:
costguy wrote:
But this was a case of

Exactly.

Like what?

Pure fact. Like a moron smashing a rock against their head, then muttering "hard!"... fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Republicans Lead The Way In Stoking The Resurgence of Nativist Nationalism And Racism

fnord23 wrote:
America is, and always has been, both.

But the heyday of nativist nationalism and racism was supposed to have been behind us to the degree that although America has always been both to some degree, the ugly part was supposed to have been on the wane instead of on the rise.

However, instead of those cancers shrinking, they've both metastacized in the Republican Party and threaten to harm the entire body politic.

> Excerpts from the June 2, 2017 Right Wing Watch news story by Kyle Mantyla entiled:

David Whitney Blames Racist Murder On College Campus On The Teaching Of Evolution

David Whitney of the Maryland-based Institute on the Constitution delivered a sermon last weekend in which he blamed the murder of a young black man by a racist white student on the campus of the University of Maryland on the teaching of Evolution.

Whitney dedicated his sermon on Sunday to blaming Sean Christopher Urbanski’s deadly racist attack on Army Lt. Richard Collins III on everything from legal abortion to gun control, but placed most of the blame on the teaching of evolution in public schools.

“As in all public schools, evolution is inculcated and it teaches that there is no Creator God and that everything in the universe came into existence by chance and mistake, accident and is wholly without purpose and without meaning of any kind,” Whitney preached. “He was taught that mankind, including himself, was nothing more than a long compilation of mistakes and mutations and chance occurrences.”

“We should not be surprised then if Sean, with that background and education, concluded that life is meaningless, without any purpose at all,” he continued. “Or, if there is a purpose in life, it would be to advance and further the process of evolution; a process in which the strong destroy the weak and indeed, ultimately, that is the purpose for existence. Survival of the fittest therefore has some rather dastardly consequences which we see in the murder committed by a secular humanist of a Christian young man.”

“Evolution is also the basis of racism, [and] many assert that racism played a role in the motivation for this murder,” Whitney said. “You see, evolution is essentially racist. So where did Sean Urbanski learn racism? He learned it in his classes on evolution at the local public high school that his parents sent him to and his parents funded that school by the payment of their property taxes.”

Michael Peroutka

Whitney’s boss at the Institute on the Constitution, Michael Peroutka, is a neo-Confederate Dominionist and a county councilman in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.

> Excerpts from the June 1, 2017 Right Wing Watch news story by Kyle Mantyla entitled:

Wayne Allyn Root Declares: "There’s No Difference In When You Call Someone 'Old' Versus When You Call Someone 'The N-Word'"

Earlier this week, right-wing commentator, conspiracy theorist and Donald Trump–obsessed sycophant Wayne Allyn Root boasted on his radio program that “if you put me in a cage with a real liberal, I will beat the living daylights out of them. They’ll have broken ribs and a black eye.”

Despite his tough talk, Root spent a good portion of his radio program yesterday complaining that vulgar liberals were being mean to him on Twitter, at one point saying that calling him “old” is no different than calling a black person "The N-word".

Root said that he has been the target of “the most disgusting, low down, revolting profanity-laced, filthy, wash your mouth out with soap gutter language you ever heard from liberals” on Twitter. He was particularly upset by the fact that “every single young liberal in the world, every single one of them [was] calling me ‘old man,'” despite the fact that he is only 55 years old.

“There’s no difference in when you call someone ‘old’ versus when you call someone the N-word,” Root said. “There’s no difference. It’s a lack of respect. It’s filthy. It’s disgusting.”

Root said he was shocked by the racism of the “millions and millions of Hillary voters, Bernie voters, Obama voters, liberals in general, young liberals who think anyone over the age of 30 should be called an old effin’ white man.”

“Every young liberal in this country, from what I’ve seen answering me, needs a bar of soap to wash their filthy little mouths out and maybe a mother with some class who would have taught them something about how you speak to somebody,” he stated.

Later in the broadcast, Root blasted NBA star LeBron James for saying that “being black in America is tough” after racist graffiti was sprayed on his home. While denouncing the vandalism and the “idiot” who did it, Root insisted that James’ statement is “ridiculous” and that people should laugh in his face “when you say stupid things like that.”

“It’s not tough being black in America,” Root insisted. “It’s what you make of it. Obviously, you’ve done pretty good in America, haven’t you?”

“There’s a lot of anti-white racism coming from black Americans and also from liberal white college students,” he continued. “They seem to hate every white person. And by the way, LeBron, do you want to come to my home and do you want to see my Twitter account and do you want to see the comments coming from both black and white Americans saying ‘you old white mother-effer’? Is that racist? I think so!”

“I think most white people treat you really, really well, LeBron,” Root said. “I don’t think white people have been bad to you at all … Black Americans who are liberals who are sending me tweets saying their going to beat me up in a ring because I’m an old white mother-effer, is that racism? You’re damn right it is. It happens every day. It goes both ways, my friend. But I wish they were more racist to me and, in return, I could have the $21 million mansion and the $60 million a year income. I think America has been damn good to you, LeBron James and white Americans have been damn good to you.”

> Excerpts from the June 1, 2017 Right Wing Watch news story by Brian Tashman entitled:

The National Republican Congressional Committee Smears All Syrian Refugees As Terrorists In Georgia Special Election Ad

The National Republican Congressional Committee released a television ad yesterday in the closely watched special election in Georgia’s 6th Congressional District, attacking Democratic candidate Jon Ossoff over his party’s support for the resettlement of Syrian refugees.

The National Republican Congressional Committee ad depicts refugees from Syria as likely terrorists, showing an image of an ISIS militant and warning: “ISIS is infiltrating America and using Syrians to do it.”

The ad goes on to attack Ossoff for supporting the Iranian nuclear agreement, alleging that the deal will “fund terror while terrorists infiltrate and attack,” a warning it accompanies with photos of San Bernardino terrorists Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik — neither of whom was a refugees or Syrian.

The ad’s depiction of Syrian refugees as ISIS militants is reminiscent of President Trump’s own extreme rhetoric. Refugees, many of whom have been welcomed in Georgia, are highly vetted and refugees from Syria have not been implicated in any acts of terrorism in the U.S.

> Excerpts from the June 2, 2017 Right Wing Watch news story by Miranda Blue entitled:

Anti-Refugee Activist Ann Corcoran Declares: "Conservative Women Had Better Have Babies To Prevent The Takeover Of Sharia Law In America"

Ann Corcoran, who heads the anti-refugee group Refugee Resettlement Watch, said in an interview with the American Family Association’s Sandy Rios this morning that she always tells conservative women that they had “better have babies” in order to prevent Muslims from constituting enough of the population to be able to “shove Sharia Law down our throats.”

Rios, who is the American Family Association’s governmental affairs director and hosts a daily radio show on the group’s radio network, claimed that “many” Muslim refugees “are coming here for a purpose, and that is the purpose to overpopulate and dominate and really take over countries wherever they go eventually.” She cited a recent Pew report that found that Muslims are the world’s fastest-growing religious group in large part because “Muslims have more children than members of the seven other major religious groups.”

Sandy Rios

“The point is, we have to keep the long view on this, and the long view doesn’t look very good, does it?” Rios said.

Corcoran agreed that “it doesn’t look very good,” warning that “Europe is going down the tubes” and the United States could face a similar fate if the Muslim population isn’t limited.

“It doesn’t even require a majority-Muslim population, it only requires a percentage of somewhere around 10 percent to start pushing for all sorts of Sharia compliance by the general public,” she said. “And the way things are going, and the fear most Europeans have of speaking up about this — or even Americans have, to some degree, to less degree perhaps than the Europeans — they’re just going to be able to shove Sharia law down our throats as time goes on just because people are too fearful to speak up. And I always tell conservative young women, you’d better have babies.”

“Yeah, right, and lots of them,” Rios responded. “Lots of them.”

Corcoran’s comments recalled Iowa Republican U.S. Rep. Steve King’s recent remark:

U.S. Rep. Steve King of Iowa wrote:

We can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies.

> Excerpts from the June 2, 2017 Right Wing Watch news story by Brian Tashman entitled:

As Hate Crimes Rise, The Trump/Pence Administration Blocks Funding To Fight Domestic Extremism

In the midst of a rise in hate crimes and domestic extremism, such as the recent white supremacist attack in Portland, the Trump/Pence3 administration is cutting down on programs aimed at combating domestic extremism.

As Reuters reported last month, the President’s proposed budget seeks to “cut all funding to a Department of Homeland Security program known as ‘Countering Violent Extremism (CVR), which provides grants to communities to counter radicalism through outreach.”

According to Reuters, the administration previously considered changing the program’s focus to solely provide “grants that dealt with the Islamic community, not other communities that may have extremist views like white supremacists.”

Yesterday, the Voice of America Radio News Service found that despite the “rising tide of violent activity attributed to white supremacists,” the White House has halted funding directed towards groups that work to counteract domestic extremism:

The Voice Of America Radio News Service wrote:

Helping people fill personal needs doesn’t always sound like a viable way to fight extremism. But last year, the Obama administration took a chance on it, allotting $10,000,000.00 in grants to groups that aim to stop extremists through prevention and personal intervention, a process dubbed Countering Violent Extremism.

Picciolini’s group found out in January, just a few days before the new President was inaugurated, that Life After Hate had been given a $400,000.00 grant to develop an online way to reach out to teens at risk of joining extremist groups. The idea was to hook those teens up with former members of violent extremist groups who grew disillusioned, dropped out, and now are ideal counselors for at-risk youth who are reaching the same crossroads.

Although the grants were supposed to be disbursed within 30 days of the announcement of the winners, there has been no official word from the Trump administration on when or whether those funds will appear in mailboxes. Several groups, Life After Hate among them, have said publicly that they have heard nothing more about whether to expect the money.

The Reuters news agency published a story in February quoting sources in the Trump administration as saying the Countering Violent Extremism funding might be rerouted to programs focused solely on overseas groups such as Islamic State. (The program falls under the Department of Homeland Security, which has not answered repeated Voice Of America requests for comment.)

But a study by the George Washington University’s program on extremism says the number of white nationalists and self-identified Nazi sympathizers on Twitter has multiplied more than 600% since 2012....

While this year’s money is in limbo, the Trump budget for fiscal 2018 has wiped out the entire $50,000,000.00 Countering Violent Extremism program at a time when, its supporters argue, the need for preventive and rehabilitative measures is higher than ever.

“Before the election in November, we were getting maybe one to three requests [for help] per week,” Picciolini said. “Now, we get one to four requests per day.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
costguy wrote:

Look that's fine. If you think someone is being thoughtless after a tragedy, I say feel free to call them out on it. But that's not the same thing as "making a political point".

The irony is that the person who tells someone not to make political points when a tragedy occurs, and instead to wait until "emotions die down and we can all talk about things rationally" or whatever, is ALSO making a political point! They're trying to influence policy. They're just being disingenuous about it.

But I was not doing so. (asking to wait)
I just thought this was thoughtless.
So perhaps I should not have said "made it political"

Fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
costguy wrote:

Or perhaps I was being dense and the OP was suggesting, as was later posited, that Trump policies were contributory to this happening. If that were the case then sure, using a tragedy to point things out would of course be not so bad.

But this was a case of

"Look at this asshole, This is why Trumps policies on immigration/Muslims are not representative of the average American's position."

IF the OP was talking about train safety, or gun violence, or knife violence or linked it to Trump's policies I would give it a pass, but this really just comes off as, "Look at this Jerk, hey, you know who is also a Jerk..."

Perhaps I am wrong.

Kind of like how there was suddenly a completely unrelated link and a statement about "praying away the guns" that had absolutely nothing to do with the subject.

Actually, everyone got it wrong. When I wrote "Trump and his fellow travelers," I was referring to the actual proposals and orders coming out of the White House. To wit:
--Repeal the ACA, push the AHCA, which knocks 20+ million off the insurance rolls, cuts taxes for the rich and medical equipment producers, and fudges away the popular "no pre-existing conditions accepted" clause.
--Tweeting 10 hours after three linked terror attacks in London that the mayor of London is "stupid" and we need the Supreme Court to validate his travel ban so "we can have our rights back."
--Claiming, at different times, that 3-5 million illegal votes were cast in the 2016 election, and all of them were for Hillary Clinton; that his immediate predecessor ordered phone lines going into Trump Tower to be bugged; and his relentless yet directionless trashing of environmental regulations and obligations.

Was I trying to make it political? Guilty as charged. This is a political event, whether or not you like labeling it as such. The fact that was a white boy with long hair evidently means it's "NOT TERROR," just some good ol'boy kicking out the jams after a hard weekend?

You're welcome to disagree with me, call me out about it, etc. It's a discussion board. But yeah, you're right, I went full on political. And meant every damn word.

I was very unimpressed with Barak Obama and George W. Bush -- until Mistah Trump got the job. Now they look like Albert Einstein and Steve Jobs compared to Bozo the Orange-Haired Clown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
costguy wrote:

But this was a case of

Perhaps I am wrong.

Actually, everyone got it wrong. When I wrote "Trump and his fellow travelers," I was referring to the actual proposals and orders coming out of the White House. To wit:
--Repeal the ACA, push the AHCA, which knocks 20+ million off the insurance rolls, cuts taxes for the rich and medical equipment producers, and fudges away the popular "no pre-existing conditions accepted" clause.
--Tweeting 10 hours after three linked terror attacks in London that the mayor of London is "stupid" and we need the Supreme Court to validate his travel ban so "we can have our rights back."
--Claiming, at different times, that 3-5 million illegal votes were cast in the 2016 election, and all of them were for Hillary Clinton; that his immediate predecessor ordered phone lines going into Trump Tower to be bugged; and his relentless yet directionless trashing of environmental regulations and obligations.

Was I trying to make it political? Guilty as charged. This is a political event, whether or not you like labeling it as such. The fact that was a white boy with long hair evidently means it's "NOT TERROR," just some good ol'boy kicking out the jams after a hard weekend?

You're welcome to disagree with me, call me out about it, etc. It's a discussion board. But yeah, you're right, I went full on political. And meant every damn word.

I was very unimpressed with Barak Obama and George W. Bush -- until Mistah Trump got the job. Now they look like Albert Einstein and Steve Jobs compared to Bozo the Orange-Haired Clown.

I can respect Bozo. Dude had talent and integrity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
costguy wrote:

But this was a case of

Perhaps I am wrong.

So are you suggesting that Trump and his policies and proposals have contributed to this particular situation?

Including the stuff that happened after this attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
costguy wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
costguy wrote:

But this was a case of

Perhaps I am wrong.

So are you suggesting that Trump and his policies and proposals have contributed to this particular situation?

Including the stuff that happened after this attack?

No, never said that. But too many non-Americans look at Trump and think, "wow, the whole fucking country's that stupid and self-centered." No, no we are not, and those three men proved it. Because, and I do think we should remind ourselves of this, it was three white men defending two black girls against a fourth white man. As someone who has grown up around the South and did so in the 1960s, let me tell you, that warms my heart to no end.

And while I injected politics into the discussion (successfully I might add! laugh), I waited several days until after the incident before making any political noise. I would have done the same about the London incidents, but Trump politicized it himself, opening the door to criticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.