Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You wake from an unpleasant dream, stretch your arms and begin to sit u- Wait! This isn't your room. Where are you, and how did you get here? You distinctly remember falling asleep in your bedroom last night. You take in your surroundings in this fairly empty room with a bed and what appears to be a flashing computer terminal hanging from the ceiling by a post. The angle of the terminal makes it impossible to see what's on it from here. You look around some more as you stand up and make your way to the terminal. There are doors on all side of the room, and each has a sign above it that says Einstein and a red light. As you approach the terminal, you see the words flashing on the screen. "Welcome to the endgame, touch the screen to begin." Confused, you touch the screen.

More text fills the screen. "There are 8 rooms in this building. Each contains a terminal that must be activated, but they can only be activated in a certain order. Every time the doors unlock, you will be given a set amount of time find the next terminal. Once you find the terminal or the clock runs out, the doors will lock again, and your performance will be evaluated. Move too slowly, and the timer will be shortened. Move too quickly, and the rooms will be shifted."

As you read, you notice a timer counting down. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1.

A loud click rings out as the lights above the doors on 2 sides of the room turn green. The word Jefferson shines brightly on the terminal along with the number 6. Another timer. You have six seconds to try to find what you assume will be another room called Jefferson.
You move through one door and flip on the lights to reveal an identical room, except without the bed. The word Tesla is above the doors. This isn't it. You run through 2 more identical rooms, flipping on the lights to reveal another wrong room, before the buzzer, the click, the red lights. This room is called Galileo.

With a moment to take in your surroundings, you look through the door you were about to open to see a darkened room. You can’t see the name on the sign. It’s too dark. Turning around and looking at the door to your right, you see only a solid wall immediately opposite the window. On the other side is a well lit area. There appear to be rooms on all side of it, but it has no floor.

You feel a giant rumble. A door opens in the ceiling of the room your looking in, and a terminal decends. A floor is sliding in from the opposite end of the room until eventually this area looks just like every other room you’ve seen so far. The lights flip off. The rumble continues, now more in the direction from which you came. You look through the door where you entered, but you don't see anything happening. The lights have been switched off. All of a sudden, the lights turn on, you see the walls and floor of the room next to you moving away from you. The terminal slides through a similar hole in the ceiling before it is closed up again. Soon, the room disappears, and the sign above the remaining door flips to blank. You can't see what is below the area where the floor used to be, but you know it's a long drop, and there is nothing for a trapped soul to cling to.

The click. The timer says 6 again. The terminal still says Jefferson. You run through the only green door into a dark room. Flipping on the lights reveals the sign - Jefferson. You hear the buzzer and the click as soon as you turn on the lights, even though it had been less than a second. You approach the terminal, which is green and says, "Touch to activate." You touch the terminal. The text changes to Tesla. But this time, the timer starts at 5.

Tabletopia build

The Endgame
Entry for the Entry for the 2017 solitaire print and play contest

Components[
18 cards, a four-sided die, 1 tile and 2 tokens.

Length
15 minutes

I'd like the game to be entered in:
Best Game by a New Designer
Best Graphic Design
Best Game Playable on an Airline Seat Tray
Best Rule Book
Best Easy PNP Build
Best grayscale/low ink printing
Best Push Your Luck/Survival

I would like volunteers to be assigned to my game if needed.

In the endgame, you are trapped in a building and need to activate the terminals in all 8 rooms in order to get out. The rooms are laid out in a 3x3 pattern with a single gap that starts in the middle. The game starts with 6 free actions. The actions are move and turn on the lights (reveal current or adjacent room). Players may taken as many actions as they want, up to 5 more than the current allotment of free actions, and it is not required that you turn on the lights to move through a room. After the player has taken all of their actions for a turn, flip all rooms except the one you're in so you cannot see what they are. Then one of two things happens:
If the player used more actions than their free allotment, they shift the rooms once for each additional action taken.
If the player did not use all of their free actions, the free allotment is lowered by 1.
(Do nothing if they used exactly their number of free actions.)

Example:
In the story, the character used 10 actions on his first turn. That is 6 free actions and 4 non-free actions. He will have to shift the rooms 4 times.

On his second move, he only takes 2 actions because he discovers the terminal he's looking for which requires you to activate it and end your turn immediately. Because he only used 2 actions, his free action count is now lowered to 5.

To shift the rooms, roll a 4-sided die representing N,S,E,W. If a room can move from that direction, move it. If the player was in that room, you lose.

Finally, before you start the next turn, move the countdown. The
countdown is a circle with the numbers 3, 2, and 1. Each turn the number is moved down. When it is moved from 1 to 3, the number of free actions is lowered by 1. If the number of free actions is lowered to zero, you lose. It is possible to lower your free actions by 2 in a single turn if you don't use enough actions and the countdown is too low.

At the start of the game, you flip a card to show the first terminal you have to find. When you find that terminal, you flip a new card to show the next terminal. As you move through the rooms, you need to remember what rooms you've entered so you don't waste turns turning on the lights again.

Downloads:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqaaKubyQqVNhMYjBVi7N8uCuSiOoA

Tabletopia:
https://tabletopia.com/playground/the-endgame-36oag4/play-no...
For setup on Tabletopia, shuffle the right (terminal) deck and place it, face UP, on top of the einstein card. Then shuffle the right (room) deck and place them face down as stated in the rules.

My early prototype (pieces from another game I'm not currently making)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] - The Endgame - [2017 Solitaire Print and Play contest] - [Idea Phase]
I like the sound of it! Welcome to the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] - The Endgame - [2017 Solitaire Print and Play contest] - [Idea Phase]
So, here's my idea:

These are the rooms. Also, there is a round token, action token and player token.
The rooms are a 2x2 grid with the terminal in the center (narrative needs to be updated). You may move freely from any grid point into the next room, but you start (and must end) on an outside square.
My other idea is to have the doors always be on the outer part of the room and the terminals always on the inner wall (I haven't tested this idea).

These are the terminal cards. The bottom right card is the track card. The outer circle is the free action track and the inner circle is the round track. Both count down. Every time the round track is moved back to the 3, the action track is lowered 1. The action track is also lowered when you only use free actions in a turn (round track does not go back to 3). The round track is lowered after every turn.

You would need to provide your own dice. A standard 6-sided die and, prefereably, a 4-sided die. The top of the cards being north, the 4-sided die would be 1-North, 2-East, 3-South, 4-West. I should probably have a reminder. You could, of course, use a 6-sided die as well, but you'd have to re-roll a 5 or 6. This is used to move the rooms. The room on the rolled side of the current gap is moved into the gap. If you roll a direction that has no room, you just move the room in the opposite direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] - The Endgame - [2017 Solitaire Print and Play contest] - [Components Ready]
I have added the files and Tabletopia links. The PnP is only 2 pages. Cards are front-side only, though you may want to sleeve them where you can't see through them. I may add a back side to them, though, so you can remember that each room is a 2x2 grid and not just a single space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] - The Endgame - [2017 Solitaire Print and Play contest] - [Components Ready]
I have updated the PnP so that the room cards now have backs. I will probably not be creating a version with more art for the PnP during this contest. The Tabletopia version has a little more to it, but I don't feel it adds enough value to justify the increased ink cost, and I don't have time to really get into any sort of real art at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made some rules updates to give the player more control over the game difficulty. I have also removed the need for the 6-sided die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

I've printed this out a little while ago and finally got around to trying it. I attempted my first game tonight. I had some difficulty with grasping the rules, though I can't quite say why. I had to read the rules several times to figure out how to play the game.

I see now that the basic principle is very simple. You draw a terminal card and have to find the room that corresponds to it. Each turn you have a certain number of actions you can take (as an action you can move 1 space or reveal a room). The number of actions you can take changes each turn. You start with 4 (but can take 3 extra, at a cost), but if you don't use them all, you will have one less the next turn. If you use all the extra actions, you will have to shift some rooms. If you use all your default actions (4, in the first turn) you will more quickly gain the advantage of the "turn" marker (when that moves from 1 to 3, you gain one extra action).

Here are a few comments and questions:

1 I found the turn marker/dial confusing at first, particularly because of its name. It does not really mark the turn, because you might have to move it twice. I would suggest renaming it.

2 From the rules: "On your first turn, you have 4 free actions. After taking those 6 actions, you may take up to 3 more, totaling 7 actions." I assume that should read "After taking those 4 actions..."

3 Is there no penalty if you do not get to the right room in time? I would have assumed there was, but did not see anything about that in the rules.

4 You lose automatically if you only have 1 action when the "turn" marker moves from 1 to 3. I'm not sure how often this would occur. The two games that I played I always had either 3 or 4 actions, and learned to keep the action marker on either of those two places. It is not difficult to use up your default actions each turn by moving around a bit longer before you turn on the lights, and since it does not matter whether you find the right room or not it also does not matter if you don't make it. It makes the game easy to win (since the rooms don't move and you retain the same number of actions), but also a bit boring. It would be good to have be penalised for not reaching the right room when you draw the terminal card (but nothing too drastic, since you are not likely to reach the room on your first turn).

5 I like the shifting of the room. This makes it harder to remember where what room was.

6 I couldn't figure out what the card with "A" and "R" on it was for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
darkyeoman wrote:

I've printed this out a little while ago and finally got around to trying it. I attempted my first game tonight. I had some difficulty with grasping the rules, though I can't quite say why. I had to read the rules several times to figure out how to play the game.

I see now that the basic principle is very simple. You draw a terminal card and have to find the room that corresponds to it. Each turn you have a certain number of actions you can take (as an action you can move 1 space or reveal a room). The number of actions you can take changes each turn. You start with 4 (but can take 3 extra, at a cost), but if you don't use them all, you will have one less the next turn. If you use all the extra actions, you will have to shift some rooms. If you use all your default actions (4, in the first turn) you will more quickly gain the advantage of the "turn" marker (when that moves from 1 to 3, you gain one extra action).

There are some issues in the rules probably with wording. And I really wasn't sure how to word what is meant to be called the "round" marker (not "turn" marker, I interchange words sometimes).

You seem to have grasped the rules fine except 1 important bit (which could again be my fault). When the round marker moves from 1 back to 3, you LOSE a free action. The main point of the setup is to find a balance to your speed when playing. If you move too slow, you run out of time faster. If you move too fast, you take a risk of an automatic loss.

Quote:
1 I found the turn marker/dial confusing at first, particularly because of its name. It does not really mark the turn, because you might have to move it twice. I would suggest renaming it.[q/] I will probably find something else to call it.

[q]2 From the rules: "On your first turn, you have 4 free actions. After taking those 6 actions, you may take up to 3 more, totaling 7 actions." I assume that should read "After taking those 4 actions..."
I'll update that typo (used to be 6, which is why the track goes to 6, but when I removed a couple of things, it became necessary to decrease the number of actions).

Quote:
3 Is there no penalty if you do not get to the right room in time? I would have assumed there was, but did not see anything about that in the rules.

4 You lose automatically if you only have 1 action when the "turn" marker moves from 1 to 3. I'm not sure how often this would occur. The two games that I played I always had either 3 or 4 actions, and learned to keep the action marker on either of those two places. It is not difficult to use up your default actions each turn by moving around a bit longer before you turn on the lights, and since it does not matter whether you find the right room or not it also does not matter if you don't make it. It makes the game easy to win (since the rooms don't move and you retain the same number of actions), but also a bit boring. It would be good to have be penalised for not reaching the right room when you draw the terminal card (but nothing too drastic, since you are not likely to reach the room on your first turn).
As mentioned above, you misunderstood what happens every 3 (or 2) turns.

Quote:
5 I like the shifting of the room. This makes it harder to remember where what room was.

6 I couldn't figure out what the card with "A" and "R" on it was for.
The card is meant to be a meeple, in case you don't have one, and a marker for the "A"ction and "R"ound tracks.

Thanks for the detailed response. Unfortunately, I will be removing this game from the contest, but I'll be keeping this thread up as I continue to develop the game for my own purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
djayshaggy wrote:

You seem to have grasped the rules fine except 1 important bit (which could again be my fault). When the round marker moves from 1 back to 3, you LOSE a free action. The main point of the setup is to find a balance to your speed when playing. If you move too slow, you run out of time faster. If you move too fast, you take a risk of an automatic loss.

Yes, I misread/misremembered that. Thank you for the correction. I'll try it again and see how that changes the game play.

Perhaps this was intentional, but I found it more difficult to remember where what room was because the rooms only have (unusual) names. Some artwork that sets each room apart would make it easier, I think. But perhaps that is why you opted for the names?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I tried it again, moving the action marker counter-clockwise (instead of clockwise as I had been doing). I played two games and lost both.

The problem with it is that once you hit the 1 action there is nothing you can do. You have automatically lost. And that will happen very soon. Either you use less free actions and you get one less free action the next turn, and/or the round marker will give you one less action in two or three turns. In other words, whatever you do you will get fever actions, and within a few turns you've lost. With nine rooms to explore (and each with 4 spaces to move through) this does not seem realistically achievable. In both games I played, I lost before I even had explored all the rooms.

I think you need to allow the action marker to move clockwise in some situations. Perhaps there should be some benefit to finding the right room in less time, by moving the action counter clockwise as a reward. I would also suggest you start the game with 6 actions, which gives you a little more time to figure out where is what. Even if you then use the 3 extra actions, that only lets you move and see only 3 rooms. It would give you a better chance at finding the rest of the rooms quicker later in the game, and give you a better chance at winning.

One other question: do I need to advance when I have used extra actions? I assumed you did, but the rules don't say so explicitly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
darkyeoman wrote:
djayshaggy wrote:

Yes, I misread/misremembered that. Thank you for the correction. I'll try it again and see how that changes the game play.

Perhaps this was intentional, but I found it more difficult to remember where what room was because the rooms only have (unusual) names. Some artwork that sets each room apart would make it easier, I think. But perhaps that is why you opted for the names?

Honestly, the use of names is just because that's how the cards are that I used to come up with the concept. Something easier to memorize would make it easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
darkyeoman wrote:
I tried it again, moving the action marker counter-clockwise (instead of clockwise as I had been doing). I played two games and lost both.

The problem with it is that once you hit the 1 action there is nothing you can do. You have automatically lost. And that will happen very soon. Either you use less free actions and you get one less free action the next turn, and/or the round marker will give you one less action in two or three turns. In other words, whatever you do you will get fever actions, and within a few turns you've lost. With nine rooms to explore (and each with 4 spaces to move through) this does not seem realistically achievable. In both games I played, I lost before I even had explored all the rooms.

I think you need to allow the action marker to move clockwise in some situations. Perhaps there should be some benefit to finding the right room in less time, by moving the action counter clockwise as a reward. I would also suggest you start the game with 6 actions, which gives you a little more time to figure out where is what. Even if you then use the 3 extra actions, that only lets you move and see only 3 rooms. It would give you a better chance at finding the rest of the rooms quicker later in the game, and give you a better chance at winning.

One other question: do I need to advance when I have used extra actions? I assumed you did, but the rules don't say so explicitly.

I have beaten the game with 4 starting actions. The push is to use extra actions and remember where the rooms are. 5 actions is quite a bit easier, and I found 6 to be too easy. But for the first few tries, I might suggest you try 6. Then you can lower it to 5 and so on when you want more of a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
djayshaggy wrote:
I have beaten the game with 4 starting actions. The push is to use extra actions and remember where the rooms are. 5 actions is quite a bit easier, and I found 6 to be too easy. But for the first few tries, I might suggest you try 6. Then you can lower it to 5 and so on when you want more of a challenge.

But do you also not lose actions even when you use the extra actions? Or do you not have to "advance" after you shift rooms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry...you do still have to advance after shifting rooms. If you use at least 1 extra action every turn, you will lose an action ever 3 turns. If you use only exactly the number of free actions, you will lose an action twice every 3 turns. And if you use fewer than your free actions, you will lose an action every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.