Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Thomas
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as Negan would say: France "just took one hell of a hit!" It was ugly in the worst way. It's the Jan./Feb. '40 turn, and the Germans had already taken Belgium and the Netherlands in Nov./Dec. so they had a head start on the French campaign. The BEF and Lord Gort are on the continent backing up the French, and both Guderian and von Rundstedt are poised to make big blitzkrieg attacks despite the cold rain falling (I was using the wild weather optional rule, which I like. Both stacks got rain).

Rundstedt leads off with a good attack out of Belgium, and crunches the French defending the border, then continues toward Paris. This time a Frontal Assault is launched at the capital, and the defending French choose Counterattack! (the battle matrix is pretty cool). This means that the attacker fires first, and the Germans roll really well, pretty much devastating the poor allies. The BEF retreats to the coast, preparing for the worst, leaving the Germans in control of Paris.

The French, lead by de Gaulle, retreat to the Bordeaux area (it's a surrender city for the French), and await the German attack. It's not long in coming. Guderian heads straight for the coast, and before long the battle to decide the fate of France is joined.

I was using the optional "air grounding" rule, and because of this a fair number of planes on both sides were ineffective. I like this rule, as it tones down the air somewhat. Air power can still be pretty important, but you don't get the bigtime destruction from airpower that some have noted. Also, as an aside, I discovered (too late) that you need to save some of that German airpower to defend the Reich from allied Strategic warfare (the German SW number is a dismal -27 currently).

Both sides committed plenty of air, but losses were surprisingly light (only a He. 111 was lost). Tac air was also ineffective, leaving the ground units to slug it out. To make a long story short, the French were whipped. They rolled terribly, while the Germans rolled above average, so despite the rainy weather, only a handful of Frenchmen escaped the German onslaught. I was a little surprised at how quickly the French folded, especially considering the weather. Maybe I was just used to Unconditional Surrender, where you have a really hard time getting ANYTHING going offensively in bad weather.

At any rate, the game is proving to be quite a bit of fun, and fairly solitaire friendly. The only sticking point that I'm not sure how to handle, is the air commitment. If I were playing someone else, it would be a cool guessing game, but here I just have to kinda wing it (see what I did there?)

More observations and game stuff to follow as I get deeper into this thing! Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still on the fence about this game due to the cost buto so far I like what I'm reading about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick, keep us posted on your experience with Absolute Victory!

Incidentally, given your handle, I'll remind you that I also have N: The Napoleonic Wars for sale. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank-you for taking the time to comment Robert! I didn't mention anything about the events in my post, but I'm totally with you on those! I love them. I am currently working on a whole bunch of them for AV (esp. since you encouraged this)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SchizoCat1 SchizoCat1
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I finally broke down and bought the game despite the cost and I must say that I am as delighted with it as any game I have bought in many years. The variant rules are simply inspired. Not everything is fully intuitive but it looks like it may be the game that covers the whole war in Europe and Asia in a way that is better than most other games I have played, such as Advanced Third Reich and the Pacific game, which uses a system I have never liked.

I'm really looking into digging into this as I recover from my surgery. My only gripe is that the counters were not backprinted with their national colors because I think the white flipped counters look a little too 1960s for my taste. But I think there is an awful lot of play value in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nando Ferrari
Italy
Verona
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rick, you was quite lucky. I attacked France on JAN/FEB, the only "fair weather" turn of the year. I attacked 3 times. In every attack De Gaulle was able to steal my "blitzkrieg" attack counter. The air battle was a nightmare (I don't use the grounding rule): 4 German planes shattered against one French. MAR/APR was a mud turn, but I tried a big attack anyway. I rolled 16 dice with violence number 4. The French rolled 8 dice with violence number 6. Result: German rolled... 0 (zero!) hits againts the 21 hits rolled from De Gaulle and is French units. On JAN/FEB 41 France was still defending Paris with a lot of units.

It was a solitaire play, that I run to become comfortable with the rules. This evening I will start my first "real" play against my usual adversary and I hope to get a little more luck with the weather (and with the dice)...

What to say? This game is very interesting, I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OttoSkorzeny wrote:
On JAN/FEB 41 France was still defending Paris with a lot of units.

I may have seen France last that long once -- congratulations! I'm glad you find the game worth playing... keep us updated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing the French (UN) in a VE 39 game. The Germans drove right through my French in the May/June turn. The Brits skedaddled to London. No Vichy chit this turn though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
I'm playing the French (UN) in a VE 39 game. The Germans drove right through my French in the May/June turn. The Brits skedaddled to London. No Vichy chit this turn though.

Remember, if you control Paris before Vichy is drawn, Vichy won't be formed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Talossa wrote:
billyboy wrote:

Remember, if you control Paris before Vichy is drawn, Vichy won't be formed.

The Germans took out the whole of mainland France. What are they supposed to do without the Vichy chit? Let the French hang around and possibly recover. Nah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.