Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
I suppose there might be some who don't want to make many changes but who might be open to changing the CRTs.

You could also use this CRT with Imperium IV to make capital ships even better.

I have already made good new CRTs for Planetary Bombardment, Planetary Defense Fire, and Ground Combat. You can use those. I'm quite proud of how I got them to be better without changing the counters. So, they are Vassal friendly. You do have to use 2 dice with the PDF CRT.

Today I had a thought to make Capital Ships a little better and therefore more worth the money. The basic idea is to add a discontinuity between the shield =6 and shield =7. I'm taking advantage of the fact that there is no beam weapon with a power of 8. So, I just took the whole block of results [i.e. the Hit #s] from beam power =1 down to 7 & shields of 7 to 9 and dropped it down 1 row. I just took the whole block of results [i.e. the Hit #s] from missile power =1 down to 11 & shields of 7 to 9 and dropped it down 1 row. And I made some other changes, especially for weapon power =12 and a Beam =9 vs Shield =9 is still a Hit# =6.
. . I had already made changes when the weapon power =1. I did this because the jump in power from 1 to 2 is a jump of 100% while the jump from 2 to 3 is just 50%. It therefore makes some sense that 1s should be more weaker. This is sort of like the discontinuity I just created above. I also changed a Beam =3 vs Shield =1 to Hit# =2, to make Imp.SC die faster.

There is 1 place where this change really matters. Now a Missile =6 vs a Shield =9 is a Hit#=7. This effects the Terran MB and their CR, as well as the Imp. BB using half Missiles against a BB. The MB & CR can just use double missiles which they should anyway. The Imp. BB has a different solution. It can instead use a suicide attack at close range against a BB. Its 7 vs a 9 is still Hit#=7, which becomes a 6 for a suicide attack. This is no different from using half missiles at close range, except that the Terran BB may get to fire at other ships making suicide attacks. Added with an edit.
. . . Upon further thought, I think you might consider making the 6 pt. Missile vs a 9 pt. Shield have a Hit#=6.5. You get this by rolling 2 6d and adding them with a new Hit#=11 or more. This is 3/36 = 1/12. I suggest this because the Terran BB may be the attacker in which case the Imp. BB can only hurt it with a double missile attack where half missile is 12/2 =6 then making a double missile attack it becomes 6x2=12 again.
. . . The only other solution for the BB vs BB problem is to make the beam=7 vs Shield=9 have a Hit#=6.5; but this makes you need to change the 8 pt. Beam also.

I have already created the new CRT. If I get enough thumbs for this post I will put it in "Files". I'll probably have to put it in the Imperium IV file for CRT because that is how BGG wants me to do it.

Parts in blue font were added 11/11/2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
With these CRTs you might want to make a few [very few] changes to make Capital Ships more worth their cost and building time.

1] One Ship can be screened inside the Shields of any ship with a Shield of 5 or more. The screened ship can not be fired on [and it can't fire either] in that round. This is in addition to the original way of having more ships. This lets a fleet with fewer ships still be able to screen things.

2] Because Capital Ships take 2 turns to build and still take just 1 hit to be destroyed, let Capital Ships ignore the ship they are paired with and be able to fire at any unscreened ship, at least when it uses its missiles even at reduced strength. This way they get at least 1 good shot before they are lost to a lucky Hit.

3] During the Reaction Move ships can move up to 5 jumps if they end at a friendly World and don't fight a battle there. This lets Capital ships move back to a World to be ready to pay Civilized Maint. there in the 1st Phase of their next player turn.

4] The Imperials should start the 1st War with permission to build more CR. The more forces appeals table should give him permission to build his CA instead of the CR and he loses this instead of losing CR. I suggest this to let them build more ships that can screen other ships from the start.

Or, not. It is up to you. 1st edit for spelling, 2nd & 3rd are in blue font.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
The main effects of using this new CRT are:

1] The Terran Dreadnought becomes a real Capital ship because the Imp. CL, CS and B2 are all less effective against it with normal missiles and their CR with double missiles. Also, The Imp. CR needs to use a suicide attack to hurt it with its beams and the Imp. SC and DD can't even suicide attack it.

2] Both BB are stronger against 12 point weapons.

3] The Imp. B1 & B2 are stronger against the Terran BB's beams.

I decided that I needed to not change the 9 point Beam when it fires at a BB because the Terran M needs a chance against the Imp. BB at beam range because it already has no chance at missile range. I didn't change the 7 Beam vs a BB for a similar reason. I wanted the Imp. BB (& therefore CA) to be able to use suicide attacks against the Terran BB at close range. This then led to the 6 Beam vs 9 Shield being an 8 instead of a "--".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be a worthy challenge to recreate the ships of Imperium, as closely as possible, in terms of Book 5: High Guard (First Edition) or (maybe better) some later edition thereof. Benefits would include:

--A clear and rational audit trail from characteristics to cost and back.
--Access to what might be a better combat system.
--Improved understanding of what the ships might be like.
--Clear identification of any true outliers and/or anomalies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
brianmccue wrote:
I think it would be a worthy challenge to recreate the ships of Imperium, as closely as possible, in terms of Book 5: High Guard (First Edition) or (maybe better) some later edition thereof. Benefits would include:

I know next to nothing about the details of the "Traveler" Universe.

I don't have the book, therefore I can't do it.

I also have little interest in role playing games.

So it is up to someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
brianmccue wrote:

I know next to nothing about the details of the "Traveler" Universe.
I don't have the book, therefore I can't do it.
I also have little interest in role playing games.
So it is up to someone else.

Two things. [thing=3361][/thing] is deeply related with Traveller, so to know it a little more could be useful and Book 5: High Guard (First Edition) is ship centered while Imperium is centered on squadrons of ships, so to base a CRT revision on Book 5: High Guard (First Edition) can lead a radical revision of the game, always provided that you want to change it. Personally I think that it works well as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
brianmccue wrote:
I think it would be a worthy challenge to recreate the ships of Imperium, as closely as possible, in terms of Book 5: High Guard (First Edition) or (maybe better) some later edition thereof.

GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars should be the starting point for the ship designs, for all its flaws.

Note: I blame typing on a phone for the atrocious typos in the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.