Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Does activating a vehicle require you putting a order token on it ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost always, and yes.

Things without order tokens (or with bluffed order tokens) still get to move in the supply phase. But if you want to attack, you'll need an order token.

This keeps the game more of a heroic / lighter skirmish, rather than an entrenched bloodbath (and frankly, luck of the dice roller) that it would become otherwise (Is my opinion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great observation Ben. I hadn't thought about it that way, but it really does force a "schwerpunkt" play vs "everybody attack as able" command structure. I have tended to just look at what I need to do before the other guy can. Thanks for that insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TO clarify things a bit more (I hope).

Once you have gone through the Activation Phase and activated all units with orders, you get to the Supply Phase. During that phase, you can move any unit that has not yet acted this turn. They just cannot assault or fight during that phase.

That means you don't need Orders to move every unit in a turn, you get a few orders to activate key units during the Activation phase and the rest can move during the Supply phase.

If a vehicle has an Order on it, the vehicle can move during the activation phase. During the following Supply Phase movement, any units in the vehicle (assuming the vehicle has the Transport ability) can then exit the vehicle as part of their move, and get their full move

Light vehicles such as a half-track can help your infantry get across the battlefield pretty quickly

Hopefully that was helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone!!!! Now as far as counting those stars to see how many order tokens I get hiw do we correctly do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you read the Unofficial rules manual rewrite? Start there for a description of "stars" and how many orders you get and if there is something unclear, post a specific question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, I actually love the order tokens and activation vs. supply phase part of the game. When you teach others, make sure to help them understand the value of the Supply phase. You can often win the game with units moving in the Supply phase who occupy a strategic location when they move (after the ordered units clear the space or create a holding area). It makes the tactical decisions much more strategic, if you think of it that way.

You can find out how many order tokens you get based on the number of yellow stars on your recruitment tile (usually linked to your platoon leader), plus some of the options have a star above them meaning that when you use that option, you get another order token. Some special units (like Clint and others, I think) also have a grey star on them so they essentially have their own "order token" and get to activate every turn if you want them to.

It is a great game, so enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the only thing thats strange about the game is every unit is able to move, but not all able to shoot.
i mean its awkward to see troops march by while your troops just watch them move around you.

in a normal firefight they would all be ducking and hoping not to get shot instead of strolling by leisurely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
You will find that judicious use of Opportunity Fire and Suppressive Fire, and paying close attention to Zones of Control, can sometimes alleviate the ability of your enemies to stroll around the field of battle at will...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
the only thing thats strange about the game is every unit is able to move, but not all able to shoot.
i mean its awkward to see troops march by while your troops just watch them move around you.

in a normal firefight they would all be ducking and hoping not to get shot instead of strolling by leisurely

Given that most firefights took minutes not hours to play out, I think the order rule makes sense. Each turn is a snapshot in time. Some units will be firing. Others, will be moving into firing position.

Sure you could visualize the "strolling leisurely" but I visualize them advance quickly and happening to miss the action. I chose this game because it was fast and had that comic book/Hollywood feel to it.

This is a game after all, with a particular slant to WWII firefights, and specifically implements a limited order system and heroic (sometimes comic book) action. Something always needs to be sacrificed to achieve the overall aims and in this case DPG did a great job that really gives that heroic Hollywood feel to the game without getting bogged down with ordering every unit. The order/supply phases are abstractions and they require you make hard choices to allocate your orders and advance your other troops so you aren't bored silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

Depends on your expectations and frame of mind, I think.

Just because a unit is moving in the Supply Phase does not mean they are "casually strolling", they are sprinting around like everyone else.

Other folks have already posted some comments on this, so I will just add my own take.

HoN is not a simulation, it is a movie. As such the Order tokens are for the actors that get a "closeup" while the folks moving around in the Supply Phase are the extras moving around in the background. They behave like they are under fire, but they are not important to the "scene" at the moment.

Hedgerows force infantry to end their move, ZoC (as previously mentioned) can cover the open ground in most cases. Suppressive Fire can force units to crawl along (-2 movement), and Opportunity Fire from Defensive Positions or an Action card can foil your opponent's "key shots" in the scene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why get stuck in a frame of mind that expects every war game have the same features or to be a simulation? Sure we can create a variant for every game so they all support the supposed critical features, which seem to be suppressive fire, opp fire, etc.

I prefer to have a range of games with different goals and features. So, now I basically play 4 or 5 different types of war game, depending on mood or whether its with family:

Memoir '44 and Birth of America Series - simple, very abstract, good for historical overview and play with the family

C&C Napoleonics etc. - when something about the same style but more elegant than Memoir '44 is required

Conflict of Heroes - more of a simulation of a small firefight, problem solving, not suitable for family play, maybe lacks suppression (I don't care) - I'd buy BoB, but will never buy another game with paper maps.

Heroes of Normandie - just a lot of fun, quick, easy, no tolerance for analysis paralysis, good while watching Kelly's Heroes for the 100th time

There are miscellaneous other games (like the Butterfield games I bought that have paper maps...ugh), but the above seem to scratch every war game itch I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
We have been enjoying the game so far we just played saving private Rex today and man if the nazis loose the bike it's over . Now onto the next scneario. Can someone lazy link me this new instruction book plz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.