Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Lords of Hellas» Forums » General

Subject: Why does building a portion of a monument remove all priests from map? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Mello
msg tools
This game looks incredible and I really like the theme but I usually like game mechanics to make sense thematically in the game. That being said, Why would all priests be removed from the map because someone built a portion of a monument? I don't see any correlation between the two. On another note, if the Hydra is mostly going to be on land, shouldn't it have it's entire figure depicted and not just it's head as if rising up through the water? Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
The priests wander off to see the new monument, then after spectating momentarily, go off to get some frosted chocolate milkshakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Because there can only EVER be two priests at a monument. Nobody would ever get a chance to use a monument someone else built earlier otherwise. This allows other people to use monuments so one person doesn't get to hog it all game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Mello
msg tools
That makes sense balance wise. I guess I'll have to be more creative and make up a reason thematically why all priests get wiped out when in an unrelated area someone partially constructs a monument. I appreciate the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the "gods" abducted them and brought them on their planet far far away from the world of HEllas because the aliens appreciate their faith XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe uh...... construction is just really busy and involved, and the construction zone wouldn't be safe for priests to stay in. Falling rocks, and all that. So they have to leave and come back later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Mello
msg tools
That's reasonable if they were only removed from the area where the construction is taking place but they are removed from the entire board.
Regardless, planning on pledging on the first day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merethif
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neo_maximus1 wrote:
On another note, if the Hydra is mostly going to be on land, shouldn't it have it's entire figure depicted and not just it's head as if rising up through the water? Any thoughts?

Hydra lives in the swamps - land doesn't always mean solid ground - all swamps, bogs, ponds and the like are still considered "land" cartographically-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Mello
msg tools
merethif wrote:
neo_maximus1 wrote:
On another note, if the Hydra is mostly going to be on land, shouldn't it have it's entire figure depicted and not just it's head as if rising up through the water? Any thoughts?

Hydra lives in the swamps - land doesn't always mean solid ground - all swamps, bogs, ponds and the like are still considered "land" cartographically-wise.

Different resources state either swamp, marsh or lake. I use US GIS (geographic information system)in my line of work. All bodies of water of a decent size (including very small) are shown on every map. Even marshes or swampy areas that are not filled with water year round are shown as a body of water just with a different symbol. I work closely with U.S. Fish and Wildlife and all their maps also show any marsh or swamp. I researched many different organizations, in the U.S. and Canada, that use maps and they all show them on their maps. I couldn't find any (I'm sure they exist, you can find anything on the internet) that don't. Also, it's a reach to think that the entire map and each individual section on the game board of Lords of Hellas has a swampy area. It seems reasonable that if the Hydra is always shown on an image of land, that you would see it's entire body. It's not a big deal though. It just could have made a fantastic looking game look even better IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Hamtzany
msg tools
Building a monument is also the trigger for a round end and to clear all used special actions.
I guess you could say that this signify time passage, and so heroes have time to really rest and the priests are finally done praying at the monuments and can go home (And probably first go to the toilet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured that those praying at the advancing monument sacrificed their life force to their god and in the process allowed their god to strike down the blasphemers praying at the monuments of other gods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.