Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
123 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: WIP - LIttle Udon Shop - 2017 Solitaire PnP Contest (Contest Ready) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WIP Thread For Little Udon Shop
Entry for the 2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1787772/2017-solitaire-...

Summary: The Emperor has stated that he is hungry! And he has requested the building and proliferation of new eateries in Edo! Not everyone can eat everything, but everyone CAN eat udon! It just depends on how they like it spiced! Can you run a successful udon shop AND please everyone, maybe even the Emperor himself? Begin running your own udon shop to find out!

Image:

Components:

1-4 8x4 Player Boards
3 16mm White Dice
1 16mm Blue(or non-white) Die

55 "Hobbit" Cards:

5 Spice Storage Cards

50 Class Cards:
25 Lower Class Cards
8 Upper Class Cards
8 Court Class Cards
4 Dragon Cards
4 Wind God Cards
1 Emperor Card

5 White Tokens/ 16mm Squares
5 Red Tokens/ 16mm Squares
5 Yellow Tokens/ 16mm Squares
5 Black Tokens/ 16mm Squares
5 Blue Tokens/ 16mm Squares
1 Grace Marker

Length: 60-90 minutes

Build Time: Medium

Gameplay: The object of the game is to fulfill the orders on the customer cards while they are in your shop before they leave to the discard pile. Roll the three worker die to see what spices you can get and roll the blue imperial inspection die to see what spices are restricted. You can collect and store your die, or place them on a customer card right away. Fulfill the customer card, score the card. There are special, challenging customers that must be taken care of first before normal play is resumed, but these are worth big points! Try to beat your own hi-score!

Link to Rules: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1UZ2uFPc6XtbWpJbkpSR0Njd1...

Link to Components: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1UZ2uFPc6XtREpwTE9idG5Cem...

Link to Board: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1UZ2uFPc6XtUTd1YXRVTHhNem...

I would like volunteer play testers to be assigned to my game.

Categories:
Best Regular PNP Build
Best Game Playable on an Airline Seat Tray
Best Worker Placement Category
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Spicy Udon Shop - 2017 Solitaire PnP Contest (idea)
Reserved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mini-Post Update #1

So. I was looking at this trying to type it out as succinct as possible when I was happy with what I had, I thought, well, why not use it in the rule book?

It is by far MUCH easier to read and more pleasing to the eyes. So I figured may as well. Then I thought again and went, oh, you know, a lot of these addendums are edge cases, I could PROBABLY shove that into a faq to make shorter rules. The idea of the rules is to keep them short and simple to read. How often do these edge cases come up any way? Well, if I've learned anything studying these forums and listening to podcasts, not very but they do come up. And when they do come up you'd best have an answer for them.

So now what? Do I stop the current rule writing style in favor of a simpler, cleaner one? Or do I continue as is, and then edit out the edge cases and place them into a faq at the end? The rule book may go a bit longer then 8 pages because of that. Then I wondered if I would like editing the rule book to make it cleaner.

I thought a bit and turns out I would. And then I thought again and thought, you know? I LIKE reading the rule books.

I like figuring out the games and how to play them. I think. I've not read a rule book that's given me a headache yet (even the print and play ones). And maybe that's coming, but for now, I like it. I kinda like reading rule books. Weird.

So, a minor update about my life. I sort of run a small internet business to help pay the bills. That's a bit of a headache. I also have to run the house kinda by myself because my younger brother can't help me because of his back. (Listen to the Funding The Dream Podcast Special Episode which airs after episode 268 to find out more about his condition. Thanks Richard!) So there's that. I got a few minutes to make the entry post because it was late and I had a smidgen of time. This week and the next is small business week due to billing. I also have to mow the yard by myself. I can read rules because well unfortunately my bathroom breaks take 30 minutes or so (could be longer, but people got frustrated, yes we've had it looked at). AND not only do I have THIS game but I also have a steam game coming to it's market soon (that's what i keep telling myself).

So there you go. A small window into why I'm so busy and what my schedule looks like. HOWEVER, I will make time to write the rule book. I've been looking forward to this since last year. And it's easy to get discouraged looking at the front runners that roll and squash everybody else and just quit because of it. Because you think no sane gamer in their right mind would play your piece of garbage but I digress. What I am looking for here is just some feedback. Lot's of it hopefully.

I just hope I have an enjoyable game this time. Time? Wait what time is it when is next bathroom break good god that's a lot of text okay when do I have to put the chickens up I need to finish the deposit ticket and plug the bills in and make dinner then wash dishes THEN....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert-

Random bits: Yeah, life.

Don't worry about the length of the rulebook. Lots of rulebooks are longer than they seem when you put in pictures and sidenotes and such. Mine's currently sitting at about 7 pages and it's all text and icons. And I'm not done yet. Rules are where other rules readers can come in and make suggestions.

The game sounds a bit like At the Gates of Loyang. The cards are the customers- will there be a set order or number of cards? Can I make the game harder/easier by using more of some cards than others? (This last bit is something I'm working on in my game.)

Keep going- don't quit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the encouragement Eric!

While I was play testing I looked at that method. Since it was in one of the games I like (Gem Rush) I thought it might work here. While in Gem Rush, you burn cards every turn, when I used it, did not make sense for this game. I also do not believe that removing a certain number of cards would make the game easier (pretty sure i tried it). The game is rather light as it is. Removing certain cards would make the game more difficult and harder to get a higher score.

The 'screw you' cards are scoreable. Whereas before in other versions were not, and REALLY screwed the player over (negative points!). Letting them be appeased eased up the burden of them showing up significantly. The card order is basically a 54-ish card deck with suits starting at 1 ending in 16. With the early cards, 1-5, there are no special powers, with those starting at 6 and above. With the cards past 10, those have special scoring rules as well. So as not to screw the player over that much.

One of the reasons I'm trying to simplify the rule book is so that more people will want to read it. A 15 page rule book? I don't got time for that! But that's the idea, to make it quicker to read. After, of course, I finish it.

As far as making the game easier, that's why you talk to other people. I have 2 unused Samurai Ronin cards that were to act as part of a seven samurai set with special scoring rules. Now I guess I could try to come up with a way to use them to make the game easier with them in, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mini-Blog Update/Rant #2: Art

One of my problems with these contests is of course the art aspect. The rules of the contest state(or rather, stated) that everything needs to be worked on during the contest time frame. While that has changed, you still see games with stunning art entered on day 1 or 2. And of course the rules apologists go 'spirit of the thing anyway' and such nonsense. Leaving some of us less talented already WELL behind and neglected by the player base because of cool looking hotness must be good.

Again, the contest has changed and most of that is tongue in cheek. Most of it.

Still, that leaves me with a problem. Art assets take a while to make. Especially if you're not very good with art. So either the art takes a long time to make, taking out development time, or you have to spend a long time looking for free/found art that matches your game. The latter being very rare most cases. Because each game is so unique, they each carry their own individual art needs with them and don't all fit within a generic art pack.

So, during a small break, I found I had some spare time and could do some asset fantasy gazing. I hopped on to rpgnow and perused some of the stock art collections. Lots of these were $15 or less than. Some were very affordable. I am making some money now, I could spend some of it on generic art if I really wanted to. But I've a problem with looking. I think, if I narrow down my search enough I'll find exactly what I want and it's just down here. While it has happened, it hasn't happened that often. Less often than not. I realized I was doing this, and stopped scrolling and went back to work.

Still that left me something to ponder. If I want some art for this, which, it currently doesn't have any. DO I go the generic route and hope to find some art that matches my theme? Or do I pony up and pay an artists to work on assets that I might want to use to promote the "REAL" game? Kinda difficult to choose. In the end I chose neither. Not because of the cost issues, but also because of the time issues as well. If I don't get the paid for art in before the deadline, well, I'm a fish out of water at that point.

So what to do then? In the end, I probably won't be buying any art. Though it might be nice, I don't think it's a good idea at this point. And besides, there's some public domain art that isn't that bad. So I'll probably look into cropping and snipping and pasting some of that.

Here's hoping you don't have as many art troubles as I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you have done a bunch of work from this post. This is great, but there is something about your post that bothers me: The history element.

The tag says that the emperor is hungry and tells people to start building eateries in Edo. Here are my problems with this:

When the emperor of Japan could have made these declarations (and people would have listened to him) it would have to be in the times before or after the Shogunuate.

If the game takes place before the Shogunuate, then the cities would have to be Heian-Kyo, which was the capital of Japan circa 900-1100 give or take. Edo was a town, but not one where the Emperor would make any such decree.

On the flip side, the other time when the Emperor could make such a decree would be during the Meiji restoration (post-shogunate). While it's true that the Emperor had moved his court from Kyoto eastward to the city of Edo, the city was also renamed at this time, Edo to the more familiar "Tokyo".

I understand that this set up is supposed to be humorous, but it really ought to be accurate, or set in a fantastical location. This might be better, since I can't envision a Japanese emperor making such a request of the population...

xhunterko wrote:
WIP Thread For Spicy Udon Shop
Entry for the 2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1787772/2017-solitaire-...

Summary: The Emperor has declared that he is hungry! And he has ordered the building and proliferation of new eateries in Edo! Not everyone can eat everything, but everyone CAN eat udon! It just depends on how they like it spiced! Can you run a successful udon shop AND please everyone, maybe even the Emperor himself? Begin running your own udon shop to find out!

Image: Coming Soon

Components:

1-4 8x4 Player Boards
3 16mm White Dice
1 16mm Blue(or non-white) Die

55 "Hobbit" Cards:

5 Spice Storage Cards

50 Class Cards:
25 Lower Class Cards
8 Upper Class Cards
8 Court Class Cards
4 Dragon Cards
4 Wind God Cards
1 Emperor Card

5 White Tokens/ 16mm Squares
5 Red Tokens/ 16mm Squares
5 Yellow Tokens/ 16mm Squares
5 Black Tokens/ 16mm Squares
5 Blue Tokens/ 16mm Squares
1 Grace Marker

Length: 60-90 minutes

Build Time: Medium

Gameplay: The object of the game is to fulfill the orders on the customer cards while they are in your shop before they leave to the discard pile. Roll the three worker die to see what spices you can get and roll the blue imperial inspection die to see what spices are restricted. You can collect and store your die, or place them on a customer card right away. Fulfill the customer card, score the card. There are special, challenging customers that must be taken care of first before normal play is resumed, but these are worth big points! Try to beat your own hi-score!

Categories:
TBD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mark! Thanks for your feedback.

As you can imagine, when doing research for this time period this is one of the things that I came across. While the emperor may not be able to say 'off with his head' and it was done, I imagined that a person of such influence would have a certain degree of leeway. So yes, the story aspect is meant to be slightly humorous.

And while it may have been a small town at the start of the period, Edo eventually grew to have a wide influence. I simply imagined, being a unifying symbol, the Emperor would try to spread his favor around from time to time and see things the government council might not. So this declaration might spur on the development of such places like Edo and her cousins. Especially since the castle town had such a start in the history of the period it would be a wise thing to encourage such growth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Selected image to represent the game:

Yes. I know what that painting is before you go 'well actually'. Perhaps you would like to fork over a few hundred to pay for art assets instead hey where'd you go? Oh well. I have also decided on the following categories to be judged upon:

Best Regular PNP Build
Best Game Playable on an Airline Seat Tray

I don't expect to make anything that will knock your socks off here. Almost everyone else has already done that. The goal of SUS is to be a light, enjoyable solo game that scratches that solo itch. Hopefully it does that well.

Back to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you make the game about sushi?thumbsup The title could easily become Sushi Shop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about it. But I like my ramen. ^^

I also thought it might be confused or C&Ded by another well known sushi game. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xhunterko wrote:

I also thought it might be confused or C&Ded by another well known sushi game. whistle

If you type sushi into the board game search field above, BGG gives you about 35 games on sushi, all published in the years before and after Sushi Go!. Sushi isn't a trademarked idea, so I wouldn't worry about getting a cease and desist letter unless your game is actually Sushi Go: The Noodles Game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I come from video games so I'm just being cautious. And besides that I like the name and the fact that it's noodles. I like my ramen. ^^

I'll probably be setting up a google doc to help with writing my rule book. Now provided I can find the correct rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's the ukiyoe artist for the woodcut above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*shrugs*

My best guess would be Utagawa Hiroshige. But I've no idea. I'll probably eventually find it. But I've lost sleeping time. Care to help me out with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xhunterko wrote:
*shrugs*

My best guess would be Utagawa Hiroshige. But I've no idea. I'll probably eventually find it. But I've lost sleeping time. Care to help me out with this?

I have good news and bad news. Good news is I found it! Got to www.eat-japan.com/sushi-perfect/sushi-knowledge/sushi-histor...

Bad new: It's not Hiroshige. It's inspired by Hiroshige, which based on the caption under the picture, I would infer to mean that it's a modern artist's interpretation of Hiroshige's work. Which would mean it's probably not in the public domain ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is indeed good and bad news. I guess that means I have to go looking for art again. I guess I can leave it up for now, until I find something different. Luckily, there are plenty of public domain pieces out.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always sad when you find the perfect image and can't use it.

Here is a link to public domain Japanese art:

https://www.loc.gov/collections/japanese-fine-prints-pre-191...

I'll try to find something if/when I have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrowing it down: https://www.loc.gov/collections/japanese-fine-prints-pre-191... shows Ukiyo-E images of eating and drinking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Caroline, but you don't have to. I think I'll just go with a graphic and a title or something.

Thanks again! ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - LIttle Udon Shop - 2017 Solitaire PnP Contest (idea)
Sliiiiiight name change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xhunterko wrote:
Thanks Caroline, but you don't have to. I think I'll just go with a graphic and a title or something.

Thanks again! ^^

No problem! I get bored waiting for things to load at work sometimes.

I have a number of sources of art in the public domain if you need them - most taken from geeklists on BGG/RPGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
xhunterko wrote:
One of my problems with these contests is of course the art aspect. The rules of the contest state(or rather, stated) that everything needs to be worked on during the contest time frame. While that has changed, you still see games with stunning art entered on day 1 or 2. And of course the rules apologists go 'spirit of the thing anyway' and such nonsense. Leaving some of us less talented already WELL behind and neglected by the player base because of cool looking hotness must be good.

Just to be clear, the contest rules don't prohibit people from working on their games or the art before the contest starts. The only rule has been they can't share it online or get public playtesting before the contest starts. Nothing was changed in the contest rules this year regarding that.

There is a category for people who worked on their games only during the contest but it isn't a requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that other contests have this stipulation, however. So maybe that's the source of confusion?

On the art issue, this contest does a good job of getting your game played, regardless of art ability. I am not a graphic designer, nor do I have a lot of time to get art on cards done, but my game got lots of plays last year on cards with just text. Chris' volunteer idea really helps with this. Also, if an artist like the game, he/she will layout your game with beautiful art! If your game is good, you might get Todd or Ilya or Caroline or another artist who hangs around these contests to put something pretty together.

My advice if you are concerned about this is to get the cards done in as basic as form as possible, and the rules, too, and see what happens. Don't worry about winning the contest, worry about making a great game. Everything else will continue from there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
xhunterko wrote:

Just to be clear, the contest rules don't prohibit people from working on their games or the art before the contest starts. The only rule has been they can't share it online or get public playtesting before the contest starts. Nothing was changed in the contest rules this year regarding that.

There is a category for people who worked on their games only during the contest but it isn't a requirement.

I know Chris, I know. Again, it was mostly tongue in cheek.

But you start the project, then all of a sudden see these overproduced games with art and they get all the attention and you just lose all motivation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.