Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a line on the rules that I find confusing. It says something like you may freely move one worker from the boat to the sled. But the heading above this says that to move to the sled from the boat costs 1 worker.

So which is it? Does it cost me a worker to shift to the sled, or can I do it for free?

(I understand that both must occupy the same tile.)

And if it costs a worker to shift, does that mean I am essentially doing a diagonal shift from boat to sled camp?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvan Sidlo
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It costs 1 worker (1 crewman strictly speaking) to transfer crew, no matter the number of crewmen you shift. The cost may be paid (moving to the resting space) by one available crewman either onboard or on the sled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
The term freely doesn't mean for free. It means readily.
For the cost of 1 crewman, the player can readily move as many crew as he wants between the Ship and Sled columns of his Individual board.

I am not sure I understand your diagonal shift question. On the board, the boat and sled have to be on the same tile to shift crewman. On the player board "the transferred crewmen stay in the same condition--Available or Resting." Thus, you are moving or transferring crewmen left to right or right to left, never diagonally. So, for example, you could move Resting crewmen from the Ship's resting location to the right column into the Resting Sled location (or vice-versa).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod S.
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the diagonal shift question, and that is exactly how we played it. Maybe we are wrong but, we played it where you have to have an available crewman on either ship or sled to then move to the other (into the resting section) "vehicle". To me it doesn't make sense that you are able to use a spent/resting worker to take another action. Also, after performing that action it makes sense that that one worker (not the other crewman that you bring along) needs to be placed in the resting area of the new "vehicle".

If that is not the way it is meant to be played I would be shocked. Also, if it isn't a part of the rules, that will be a house rule when I play it, because that only makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people are mostly saying the same thing here.

There are two steps:
1. To perform this action, you first move one meeple (either in your boat or in your sled) from the ready space down into the resting space.
2. Next, you can move as many meeples as you want horizontally (between your boat and sled). Meeples moved in this step stay in the same row, and do not switch between ready or resting status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi C.
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules clearly state the activating meeple can be transferred to the resting of the other side. In other words, you are allowed to transfer the entire crew, including the activating meeple, to the other mean of transportation and abandon one. The so called "diagonal shift."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, still not quite getting it, since I think I am reading three ways.

Let's say I have 7 workers in my boat. If I want to transfer 2 workers to the sled, do I:

1) Move 1 worker to the boat rest and slide 2 to the active sled position;

2) Move 2 workers to the boat rest position, and 2 to the active slide position;

3) Move 2 workers diagonally from the active boat position to the rest sled position.

Also it sound like if it's (1) or (2) that the activating worker can be placed in the rest position of either the boat or the sled.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:

Let's say I have 7 workers in my boat. If I want to transfer 2 workers to the sled, do I:

2) Move 2 workers to the boat rest position, and 2 to the active slide position;

3) Move 2 workers diagonally from the active boat position to the rest sled position.

It's 1).

Quote:
Also it sound like if it's (1) or (2) that the activating worker can be placed in the rest position of either the boat or the sled.

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi C.
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:

Thanks!

You have two choices:

(1) is fine; alternatively you can also transfer the two workers to the sled one to the active and one to the rest position. The one in the rest position is the boat worker you just used for the transfer (transferred "spent") and the other is a straight transfer (active to active).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.