Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so despite the counter errors and rule book oddities, I've completed my first game (and LOVED it...2nd one already on tap for this evening after work!).

I want to make sure I understand the Victory Point calculations correctly, so I'd like your feedback on how many VP's I got in this game. Here is a photo of the final board layout:

I was playing the intro scenario, Easy Fox, and this photo shows everything still on the board. I eliminated the German units from WN 60, WN 61, WN 62N and WN 65N. I also eliminated a Replacement unit from A1.

It's my reading of the rules for VP's that I ended up with either 0 or 1 VP. Even though I have units in control of WN 60 and A1, I do not get VP's for them as per 13.22, those hexes are still in active Fields of Fire. I do not get VP's for WN 62N or WN 65N, as per 13.2, 1st bullet, I do not control the S WN hexes. So that leaves WN 61. I have no unit there, nor do I have a neighboring unit "in control" of that hex. However, per 13.22 bullet point, I still get the VP if "US communication can be traced to it" and it can "and German communication cannot, and the hex is not in a German field of fire". Here's where I'm not sure. There is no field of fire, but Communication...Per 12.2, a "German position is in communication if you can trace a path of hexes of any length from the position to any exit hex...The path may not pass through...a pavilion hex adjacent to a beach hex" (emphasis mine). The path does not pass through a pavilion hex next to a beach hex, but the hex itself, WN 61, IS a pavilion hex next to a beach hex. In this situation, is WN 61 in German communication? If so, then I ended up with 0 VP's; if not, I have 1.

What do you say?

Thanks,

Tony

P.S. At least I didn't lose due to Catastrophic Loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
WN61 is in communication as you figured out. Isn't it also in the field of fire of WN62? There's a green sporadic fire dot there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you're right, it IS in WN 61S Field of FIre...when looking at it this morning, I must have totally blanked on that, as there was no German unit in 61N.

When you say "is in communication", you mean German communication?

So, 0 points

Thanks for the response!

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
Right...it is in German communication.

The rule about being in US communication but not in German communication typically doesn't come into play until much later in the game when there is actually something besides the ocean behind the US line.

From the picture, I'd say you did well for a first game. Clearing WN60 can be pretty tough, so kudos for getting that done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got really lucky early on with a Hero event and made it possible for me to advance up the bluffs without using one of my 2 allotted Actions per turn.

That, to this point, seems to be the key to at least the early portion of the game...use those Free Actions at any and every opportunity, and save the "2" actions for where you absolutely need them and can't perform for free. Getting the HQ and the General units in play can also help with that later. Prior to that, the Infantry Self Preservation free action can be your friend

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tpholt wrote:
P.S. At least I didn't lose due to Catastrophic Loss.

For your first game, consider this a victory!

This is a fabulous game that I am currently playing as well. It gets one of my two "10s".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Mooney
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, miles better than my first performance on the same scenario. I did so poorly Ike sacked me and I spend the rest of the war shoveling sh*t in Louisiana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.