Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
mbmbmb
Good production, but with couple of bad choise.
Essentialy this is a card game, so the cards are the main component that should be well developed but:

1. the material of cards is not top, a linen core shuold be a must in this type of game.

2. the graphic on the cards are too much different among each other. There is no consistency among all, and the final result seems a prototype deck with photo mixed with arts. With this deck also the game experience is not immersive as should be, and the feel of playing with a prototype deck is always present.

3. The font should be a litte more bigger.

Do you agree with me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First look at design choise
Hi Francesco,

As it happens, these topics have been hashed, and rehashed, and discussed, and re-cussed, and any other cool verbs you can think of . . . to death!

Short answer, that sums up what I've read on the eighty-'leven threads about this topic:

d10-1According to the publisher, the cards are top-quality (black-core cardstock). Some people say they are not as thick as they ought to be, but in a game with this many cards, that might be a blessing. I heard a lot of noise about them early on, but it seems to have subsided; apparently they're lasting fine so far. I personally don't have any trouble with them.

d10-2Graphic design is a contentious point. It doesn't bother me, but many people share your opinion. (It reminds me of my old science textbooks, which enhances rather than detracts from the theme for me.)

d10-3I haven't had any trouble with the font size, nor do I recall much talk about that.

d10-4The biggest issue people talk about is the player cubes sliding around on the player boards. The wealth of third-party products available* indicates that this issue is taken seriously by a number of players, including myself.

And by the way - since you titled the thread, "design choices" I expected to read about the game design - rules and so forth - these issues I would call something like "component design choices" or "production choices".

*for example, https://www.etsy.com/listing/480579817/terraforming-mars-pla...

EDITED to add dice markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This dead horse has been beaten so badly, PETA is officially boycotting the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above points. I'd have preferred linen cards, but the ones that shipped seem to be sturdy enough. Then again, I sleeved the entire game, so I suppose it doesn't matter either way in the end. I also like the art style, and I'm usually pretty nitpicky about such things. Spartax's comment about it being reminiscent of an old science textbook really nails it for me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valenso wrote:
This dead horse has been beaten so badly, PETA is officially boycotting the game.

Exactly. We've all moved on to complaining about Gaia Project now. Keep up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No, I don't agree with you.
2. No, I don't agree with you.
3. Meh. Maybe, but make up your mind - a bigger font means less room for art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furry Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Bigger font? Who other than new players ever reads he cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Actually, the cards are the 'user interface' / graphical design elements in the game that I have the fewest problems with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EternalFury wrote:

Bigger font? Who other than new players ever reads he cards?

The only thing that should be bigger/more prominent is the asterisk that tells you that you really have to read the card. I sometimes realize only on the second or third look that there is some important information in the text.
(After all I think that it would have been better to use the text only on the cards where it is nescessary. But I understand why the designers did it how they did - when you look at race for the galaxy and all the complains about the iconography...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
France
flag msg tools
I hate linen cards with a passion. They take dirt much faster and are hellish to clean without wrecking them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
^^^
Gamers clean cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card art thing is a design choice. The designers said they were inspired (if that's the word) by popular science magazines, which use the most appropriate type of image for what they're discussing, rather than sticking rigidly with the same style all the time. It's fine not to like it, but understanding the intention might make it more palatable to you.

Edit: to answer your question, I do not agree with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The font is indeed unnecessarily small and hard to read sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroCool_ITA wrote:
Do you agree with me?
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.