Hide
2 Posts

Lucidity: Six-Sided Nightmares» Forums » Variants

Subject: Possible Method for adding more players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Michael
msg tools
This game looks really interesting. I especially like the idea of replacing the all too common "bust" mechanic with the very thematic "become the nightmare, but keep playing".

I feel like the next step would be to find a way of expanding it to 7-8 players, especially since this has a lot of out of turn player involvement.

Here's my theory:

Take a second instance of the game, and add 1/4 of the total dice (equally distributed among colors) for each player beyond 4.
When a player becomes a nightmare, they keep their Shadow dice in place, but also gain the power of said nightmare.
Out of turn, they may only claim 1 Shadow of their color from other players. The rest resolve as normal.
If another player achieves an even greater level of Shadow of their color, the Nightmare reverts back to a dreamer, retaining all the points/dice they accrued during that time, and the new player becomes the Nightmare instead.

So for example, Bob becomes the Nightmare of the Depths with 4 blue Shadows. However, Sarah has 3 blue Shadows, and on her turn she chooses to prioritize blue dice. Every roll Bob is able to claim 1 of Sarah's blue Shadows, but by the end of her turn she's still managed to retain 5 blue Shadows, after Bob claims his 1 per roll. Bob now reverts back to a regular Dreamer, who happens to have 4 blue Shadows, Sarah is now the Nightmare of the Depths with 5 blue Shadows, and anyone who wants to steal the Nightmare of the Depths from Sarah will need to achieve 6 blue Shadows, after giving up 1 per roll to Sarah.

Depending on how it plays it also might be worth changing the 15 point victory condition, but that's minor.

What are people's thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great suggestion, Adam! I can imagine this as more of a social game, especially with that many players.

You might need to limit turn length by reducing the number of times players can push at the end of their turn from twice to once.

You might also want to have players become Nightmares initially at collecting two Shadows of the same colour. (When I tested with two players, I needed to increase the number of Shadows required from three to four. I assume the same in reverse. If you can have a Nightmare card stolen from you, you would need to be able to get that card earlier and easier.)

Funny, this could result in situations where a player is particularly annoying and thus another player wants to strip them of their card. Or situations where the risk of sending a player a dream of your colour is a double-edged sword (allowing you to activate your card, but also risking that they steal your Nightmare card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.