Hide
10 Posts

Deadball» Forums » General

Subject: Successful Bunt for a Hit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Musa
msg tools
Looking at the rules, the only way to have a successful bunt for a hit is if the defense has shifted. Why no possibility of a hit in a "normal" situation.

2nd: the bunting on a defensive shift lists some double play results. How is that possible when the rules also state that bunting on a shift is only possible with the bases empty?

How are people interpreting that dichotomy?

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never want and will never use bunting for a hit. Those hits are already in a player batting average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Musa
msg tools
Hmm, ok. Guess it's a bit of a philosophy question. My main belief is that the main thing a batter can do wrong in an at bat is to get out. So to go up with the express purpose of getting an out is very wrong in my book. I can see bunting if there is a possibility, even a remote one, of getting a hit. But to just give up the out doesn't seem right.

Guess that's just me though.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bunting is generally a good strategy in any game where runs are at a premium. You can score a run with two singles if there is a sac bunt inbetween. Otherwise you need 3 singles. The chance of a big league player getting down a successful sac bunt is much higher than that same hitter getting a hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Endres
msg tools
opel70 wrote:
2nd: the bunting on a defensive shift lists some double play results. How is that possible when the rules also state that bunting on a shift is only possible with the bases empty?

Been wondering about this myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
opel70 wrote:

Guess that's just me though.

Tim

The sacrifice is a time tested legit baseball strategy. Im comfortable with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Akers
msg tools
designer
publisher
opel70 wrote:
Looking at the rules, the only way to have a successful bunt for a hit is if the defense has shifted. Why no possibility of a hit in a "normal" situation.

According to the rulebook, only speedy runners can bunt for a hit in a non-shift situation. If you'd like to have a normal runner try to bunt for a hit, maybe have them roll a d6 and reach base on a 1? Or a d4 and treat a result of 1 as "Single, DEF (3B)." Let me know how it works! (This is something I'm experimenting with for Deadball: 1909, since bunting for a hit will be a bigger part of that game.)

And you're right--there's a contradiction in the rules for the shift. It says that you can only shift with bases empty; it would be better if it said that you probably only should shift with the bases empty. You can shift at any time, which means that a double play is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Musa
msg tools
ouijum wrote:
And you're right--there's a contradiction in the rules for the shift. It says that you can only shift with bases empty; it would be better if it said that you probably only should shift with the bases empty. You can shift at any time, which means that a double play is possible.

Ok, I get that you probably wouldn't want to shift depending on the men-on situation. I'll adjust that in my "processing".

Thanks again for this great, easily approachable, game. It has really been fun playing with my son and helpful in figuring out scoring for when we attend "real" games. He is just about ready to create his own league. He's already started playing with creating a few teams.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Akers
msg tools
designer
publisher
opel70 wrote:
Thanks again for this great, easily approachable, game. It has really been fun playing with my son and helpful in figuring out scoring for when we attend "real" games. He is just about ready to create his own league. He's already started playing with creating a few teams.

Oh, that is so cool! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out -- suggestions for random names or help making a schedule. He may want to consider starting with a 4 team league, as it makes things a little more manageable. Or, use 17 man rosters (like I'm doing in Deadball: 1909), and relax the pitcher fatigue rules to make it so you don't have to do as many substitutions, which makes the game go way faster.

Please share what he comes up with -- I can't wait to hear about his teams!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yesa Fakename
United States
Guam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...oops?
Did I mis-interpret something? Or did I rules-lawyer something that didn't exist?

I was under the impression that a batter who bunts and rolls a "4" reaches first, but, in the event there is/are runners on base, the LEAD runner is put out?

If I'm wrong on this one, let's just say I'm glad my weekend testing as shown some PROMISING results....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.