Subject: Block war game (with dice rolling results) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Block war game using dice rolling mechanic.. Need suggestions for an easy to learn and play game. I think my kid (13yrs) will like the idea of the "fog of war" with dice rolling results because she loves to roll dice. Just having trouble finding both mechanics in a game. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
dcm70 wrote:
Block war game using dice rolling mechanic.. Need suggestions for an easy to learn and play game. I think my kid (13yrs) will like the idea of the "fog of war" with dice rolling results because she loves to roll dice. Just having trouble finding both mechanics in a game. Any suggestions?

I don't know of a block wargame that doesn't use buckets of dice so not sure where the difficulty in your search is. I would highly recommend Hammer of the Scots. It's low unit density and relatively low complexity. To this day it still might be the best block wargame...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a third player, Triumph & Tragedy is a great game with blocks and dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
m3tan wrote:
I don't know of a block wargame that doesn't use buckets of dice so not sure where the difficulty in your search is.

I don't believe Bonaparte at Marengo and Napoleon's Triumph use dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard III: The Wars of the Roses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
OP wrote:

Perhaps the simpler Columbia Games, e.g. Quebec 1759, or (a little more complex but more interesting) Julius Caesar? Or Wizard Kings for a fantasy setting might appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcm70 wrote:

If you want a simple introduction into block gaming, I think the absolute best for that is War of 1812, which as about 4-5 pages of rules. Both players have to play offense and defense, land and naval, and the game is playable in half an afternoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

If you want a simple introduction into block gaming, I think the absolute best for that is War of 1812, which as about 4-5 pages of rules. Both players have to play offense and defense, land and naval, and the game is playable in half an afternoon.

This is the best recommendation yet. I prefer Quebec, because I like simpler and faster games, but Columbia's 1812 is excellent. It's simple enough for a 13 year old, but has some real meat that you'll discover as you play it multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the scots is my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on age listings here, Julius Caesar is within reason for a 13 year old, so that's my pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.