Conan» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Overlord Sacrificing his own units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Foreman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
In a game we played the Heroes wouldn't finish off any group of baddies and push them to the end. Is there a way for the Overlord to sacrifice his own units to take them out of play? Can he pay the 2 gems and just remove the tile and the units still in play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only with area affect attacks or scenario-specific effects (e.g. Leap failures which kill Minion units). Dredging can only be used with dead tiles (OL book v2, page 7).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
This is a perfect example of "rules lawyers" ruining a game.
So in a game about Conan, Conan refuses to kill all enemies in a unit to clog up the Overlord's board, so Picts are jumping off of cliffs to benefit the Overlord. I would laugh, but it kind of makes me sick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jppspqr wrote:
This is a perfect example of "rules lawyers" ruining a game.
So in a game about Conan, Conan refuses to kill all enemies in a unit to clog up the Overlord's board, so Picts are jumping off of cliffs to benefit the Overlord. I would laugh, but it kind of makes me sick.

I agree. I refuse to play with rules lawyers, which is also why I shun tournaments. I grew out of the "need to win" back in grade school. Some people never do.

I'm really just posting to point out you're the third person I've seen that posts in the Conan forums with the name JP. Maybe it's time I changed it, so it isn't confusing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kitcat
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's one of the nice features of the Campaign rules. The Heroes gain a campaign point every time they kill off all the units in a tile so there is an incentive for them to not leave one surviving unit for the tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. At first I thought it would be a legitimate tactic for the heroes, but the more they do it when we play, the more I've realized it really does hamstring the Overlord pretty badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most.
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I think about it, I feel like there needs to be a mechanic to consolidate a miniature from a group of like 3 or more that is down to 1 into another group of the same kind, (that is currently not at full capacity) at some sort of cost (I have no idea what that would be to maintain balance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Isn't there a method in the rulebook for the Overlord to thin his board - thinks it's called "Dredging the River" which removes the units and tile from the board (at the cost of some gems for the Overlord)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes the OL can spend 2 gems to dredge the river of a tile. It does mean the OL has 2 less gems for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bad Kam
msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

Please let me precise that the tile must be "dead" (on its bloodied side) to be removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, I should have specified that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Footballzs wrote:
Yes the OL can spend 2 gems to dredge the river of a tile. It does mean the OL has 2 less gems for the rest of the game.

Hmm, from page 7 of the OL rule book:

Dredging the River
At any time during their turn, the Overlord may «dredge the river» by removing one or more dead unit tiles from the game. To remove
a dead unit tile from the game, the Overlord must permanently return 2 gems from their Fatigue zone to the game box.

My emphasis in bold but doesn't that mean the OL now has 2 less gems for rest of game or I am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That’s what I said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Footballzs wrote:
That’s what I said.

D'oh read that too quickly. Guess it's extra clear now then..... modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.