Subject: No Orders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Could someone please clarify what are the implications if you choose not give a formation any orders.

I can't see anything in the rules hat explains what happens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
There is really no benefit to having no orders, so it should not be chosen per se. Rather, no order is what you revert to if you (usually voluntarily) void your formation's defence order by moving more than 1 hex or starting a melee.

With no order you are resigned to independent move (1/2 MA if qft passed) for all your units (which is what you can do with a geographical order anyway if you want to post units in other places) and do not get any defensive benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Bjorn.

If I am understanding correctly, no orders means you have to relay on Independent move - I thought that may be the case but I wasn't sure from the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also played this way. I think the Defense Order is useful only when the Cavalry are closing in and you want to fire with the -1 DRM bonus when the enemy is close by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
thirtybrowns wrote:
Thanks Bjorn.

If I am understanding correctly, no orders means you have to relay on Independent move - I thought that may be the case but I wasn't sure from the rules

It may not be chrystal clear but I think we should be careful no to read too much into the "no order" concept, remember that no order is really only the absence of a proper order: geographical and defence are the possible orders to give unless I read the chapter wrong. No order status as far as I can tell, is only used in two cases:

a, for OOC units and cav in a formation with defence order: "Units outside command range and cavalry units even within command range are considered with “no orders” and must use IM." Here the formation retains its prior order.

b, when a unit "uses an “independent move” to move more than 1 hex, or attacks in melee combat, the entire formation immediately loses its defence order benefit, until a new defence order can be issued to that formation. Remove the formation’s order chit from the defence box and place it in the no order box.[...]"

A bit further down we get general information: "Units or formations with “no order” may only use independent movement (IM). Units with “no orders” can fire and declare melees normally."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Lawrence Hung wrote:
I also played this way. I think the Defense Order is useful only when the Cavalry are closing in and you want to fire with the -1 DRM bonus when the enemy is close by.

I think you have that backwards, if you are in defence order your units are penalized if they suffer artillery fire, not the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent GERARD
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And getting the DRM in clear terrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delirium_EU wrote:
Lawrence Hung wrote:

I think you have that backwards, if you are in defence order your units are penalized if they suffer artillery fire, not the other way around.

Ah, Bjorn, you are right. I was confused by the word "Reversely" in the rules, thinking that the opposite effect for artillery fire, following the cavalry attack on infantry in defense order. Sometime I thought that the rules are cluttered with some unnecessary wording. A case in point was that my opponent just thought that there would be a one-hex guaranteed movement from IM when reading rule 11.2. I don't know why such a thought comes up to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Delirium_EU wrote:
Lawrence Hung wrote:

Ah, Bjorn, you are right. I was confused by the word "Reversely" in the rules, thinking that the opposite effect for artillery fire, following the cavalry attack on infantry in defense order. Sometime I thought that the rules are cluttered with some unnecessary wording. A case in point was that my opponent just thought that there would be a one-hex guaranteed movement from IM when reading rule 11.2. I don't know why such a thought comes up to him.

I don't see the word "Reversely" in the rules. Could you point out where you were confused by this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Delirium_EU wrote:
thirtybrowns wrote:
Thanks Bjorn.

It may not be chrystal clear but I think we should be careful no to read too much into the "no order" concept, remember that no order is really only the absence of a proper order: geographical and defence are the possible orders to give unless I read the chapter wrong. No order status as far as I can tell, is only used in two cases:

a, for OOC units and cav in a formation with defence order: "Units outside command range and cavalry units even within command range are considered with “no orders” and must use IM." Here the formation retains its prior order.

b, when a unit "uses an “independent move” to move more than 1 hex, or attacks in melee combat, the entire formation immediately loses its defence order benefit, until a new defence order can be issued to that formation. Remove the formation’s order chit from the defence box and place it in the no order box.[...]"

A bit further down we get general information: "Units or formations with “no order” may only use independent movement (IM). Units with “no orders” can fire and declare melees normally."

This seems rather clear, but that is not saying it couldn't be more clear.

Edit, perhaps there should be a quick note at the top of the orders section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
11.1.b

Enemy cavalry units attacking friendly infantry lead unit under
a defence order will not benefit from the -1 DRM for attacking
infantry and artillery in the open [see “Terrain effect chart”].
Reversely, enemy artillery fire versus a hex in open terrain with a
lead infantry unit with defence order will get a -1 DRM bonus to
its fire DR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
11.1.b

Enemy cavalry units attacking friendly infantry lead unit under
a defence order will not benefit from the -1 DRM for attacking
infantry and artillery in the open [see “Terrain effect chart”].
Reversely, enemy artillery fire versus a hex in open terrain with a
lead infantry unit with defence order will get a -1 DRM bonus to
its fire DR.

Thanks Lawrence, but that is not from the current version of the rules; it looked odd, that is why I asked.

I would use the current version.

-Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

I think it may have been clearer to me if the word 'may' was replaced with 'can only'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.