Century: Spice Road» Forums » General

Subject: Saffron>Cardamon>Cinnamon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I don't have the game yet so maybe it's explained in the rules but why this order of value?

Shouldn't saffron be the most valuable? It doesn't really matter in the long run, I just wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find where I read it, but apparently it's accurate to the time set in the game. Cinnamon was more valuable back then....apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
I can't find where I read it, but apparently it's accurate to the time set in the game. Cinnamon was more valuable back then....apparently.

Thanks for your comment. However I'd need to see proof from whomever said that.

https://www.economics.utoronto.ca/munro5/SPICES1.htm

>"saffron has always been the world's most expensive spice."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I would wager the explanation is in the game history.

It had 2 distinct themes when it was still called Caravan. The colors may be only a leftover from that time...
They may have kept the same colors, but just replaced their names for color-equivalent spices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This also bugs me, to some degree, it won't ruin the game for me though, but I would have prefered it to be accurate. But maybe that's just because I'm a historian and I am too sensitive to some historical details ;-)
I agree with the game designers that cinnamon was one of the more expensive spices in the day, even more expensive than pepper at the time, which was already one of the most expensive spices; in Dutch we still have a word in our modern vocabulary going back to the 16th century, when pepper was one of the most expensive spices: "peperduur" which means "as expensive as pepper" and is used when you think something is over the top expensive. You could say that saffron is "peperduur"
But I also think saffron was and is one of the most expensive spices, so for me, it should have been saffron on top, and not cinnamon. But in the end, it are just colored cubes, so I'll go with the flow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz B
Poland
flag msg tools
Did you found any additional info? I've also done some investigation but found only information that both Saffron and Cinnamon were very rare and expensive spices in the past ages. "Cinnamon was so highly prized among ancient nations that it was regarded as a gift fit for monarchs and even for a god..." (Wiki) Do you know to which century the game refers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartoos wrote:
Did you found any additional info? I've also done some investigation but found only information that both Saffron and Cinnamon were very rare and expensive spices in the past ages. "Cinnamon was so highly prized among ancient nations that it was regarded as a gift fit for monarchs and even for a god..." (Wiki) Do you know to which century the game refers?

I meeaannn... in some games you really want to immerse yourself in the theme... but a generic cube trading game isn't one of them. They are yellow, red, green and brown cubes... the goal is to get cards with the highest VPs by trading in the cubes they depict. I can't imagine a reason why it matters if/when there was a time when Cinnamon was rarer than Saffron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz B
Poland
flag msg tools
It is not a problem for me, despite this weird order I enjoy the game. I'm just curious if the order has been done by mistake or it is historically correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

You can call these cubes whatever you like. There is no possibility that we will ever refer to them as Turmeric, Saffron, Cardamom & Cinnamon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

You can call these cubes whatever you like. There is no possibility that we will ever refer to them as Turmeric, Saffron, Cardamom & Cinnamon.

If you have the mat though, they are illustrated on it.

Hard to ignore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:

Hard to ignore.

I have the mat and they are called "Yellow", "Red", "Green" and "Brown"... every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
deedob wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:

Hard to ignore.

I have the mat and they are called "Yellow", "Red", "Green" and "Brown"... every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying anyone else can't call them by their "proper" name. I'm just saying that no one in the games I've played has ever called them anything but the color they are despite the mat displaying the spices prominently.

But if you find role playing a spice trader fun, I'm not here to tell you otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends have settled on Pee>Salmon>Broccoli>Poop, and I'm pretty sure no earthly force will change this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.