Subject: Escape Room Games - Which is most language independent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Poon
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
I teach an ESL class for teenagers in China and I often incorporate board games into part of my classes. The best games are often those with little to no text on them - games like Dixit, Saboteur, and Carcassonne.

I would absolutely love to try one of the escape room games (Unlock, Escape the Room, Escape Room: the Game, EXIT: The Game, etc) with my classes, but ideally the puzzles would mostly be language-independent. I was hoping to get some insight from those of you who've played any/all of the escape room games out there. Which one do you think would be most appropriate for my situation? I've only ever tried the two demos for Unlock, and they seemed fairly language-independent, save for a couple clues that required an elementary reading ability.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EXIT is text heavier compared to what I've seen from Unlock, haven't tried any of the others yet so I can't comment on those. In EXIT some of the puzzles and clues are rhymes or puzzling texts you have to decipher and all of the hint cards have small texts to help you get in the right direction, but I'd say someone who knows a little English should be fine with minimal help - take everything I said with a grain of salt though, as I've only played EXIT in German and who knows what got lost in translation. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poon
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
miruki wrote:
EXIT is text heavier compared to what I've seen from Unlock, haven't tried any of the others yet so I can't comment on those. In EXIT some of the puzzles and clues are rhymes or puzzling texts you have to decipher and all of the hint cards have small texts to help you get in the right direction, but I'd say someone who knows a little English should be fine with minimal help - take everything I said with a grain of salt though, as I've only played EXIT in German and who knows what got lost in translation.

Cool, thanks for the input! I'm not sure all of my students would be good with rhymes, but maybe some of the advanced students would be able to handle it. At the very least, I would be there to help facilitate the gameplay.

Also, isn't EXIT a destructible game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morethanjustmonopoly wrote:
miruki wrote:
EXIT is text heavier compared to what I've seen from Unlock, haven't tried any of the others yet so I can't comment on those. In EXIT some of the puzzles and clues are rhymes or puzzling texts you have to decipher and all of the hint cards have small texts to help you get in the right direction, but I'd say someone who knows a little English should be fine with minimal help - take everything I said with a grain of salt though, as I've only played EXIT in German and who knows what got lost in translation.

Cool, thanks for the input! I'm not sure all of my students would be good with rhymes, but maybe some of the advanced students would be able to handle it. At the very least, I would be there to help facilitate the gameplay.

Also, isn't EXIT a destructible game?

EXIT is destructible, but, there are easy ways to make it reusable. We played the three English games at BGGSpring last week, and all were setup for reuse (and my wife took pictures for her library to do the same).

However, yes, they are EXTREMELY language dependent. Some of the clues are language puns, using specific spellings of homonyms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.