The City of Kings» Forums » General

Subject: I love everything! But... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Elliott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Just wanted to pop by and say I have just pre ordered the deluxe. This came after ALOT of research finaly tipping me to back.

The game looks incredible on every level especialy the melding of genres. The production in general is also top notch.

But...
The back of the tiles actively put me off. It may sound crazy but when I first spotted the game I passed it by for this silly reason. If it wasnt for hearing about it again through reddit and taking A second look i never might have backed.

The wierd patern they make when layed down is very off putting, I don't mean to be a downer as i do love evrything else ive seen but just thought id throw this out there as some constructive feedback. I have seen my sentiment echoed quiet a few times among other threads, so atleast I know im not crazy.

Good luck with UK GAMES EXPO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played today at Expo for the first time and it lived up to my expectations (which were high). Forget minor niggles, the gameplay's the thing, and it shines here. Play it and then see how much graphic design decisions bother you. For me, not at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
carlwhite wrote:
I played today at Expo for the first time and it lived up to my expectations (which were high). Forget minor niggles, the gameplay's the thing, and it shines here. Play it and then see how much graphic design decisions bother you. For me, not at all.

I haven't been lucky enough to play the game, but this is the impression I get. After seeing all the effort Frank and his team have put into this game, I just can't imagine they would over look some small details that would truly detract from the gameplay and enjoyment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Rasmussen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the back of the tiles. But, like you said, everything else looks cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
Lover and creator of immersive games, join the adventure!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The back of the map tiles are one of the few things that have had some updates for the final print, here's a concept of how the final version will look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Elliott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Oh wow, those look much better. Nice work and thanks for the sneak peak!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a lot better Imho. The green tiles could use a bit extra I think. Some extra color to break up the green?

But they do look very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mahdavi
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hugely enjoyed both the large run-through and the real game version at UKGE. Frank's passion was obvious, and the gameplay was diverse and interesting between each of the games I saw. You could lose yourself just playing the first scenario. Convinced me to re-open the pledge manager and increase my pledge from £1 to Deluxe.

On the topic of the thread, I'm glad the backs have been updated because my first impression was similar to OP. Everything else in the game is stunning, and the art is spot-on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielMahdavi wrote:
I hugely enjoyed both the large run-through and the real game version at UKGE. Frank's passion was obvious, and the gameplay was diverse and interesting between each of the games I saw. You could lose yourself just playing the first scenario. Convinced me to re-open the pledge manager and increase my pledge from £1 to Deluxe.

On the topic of the thread, I'm glad the backs have been updated because my first impression was similar to OP. Everything else in the game is stunning, and the art is spot-on.

Thanks Daniel, I really appreciate you upping your pledge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen cowgill
United Kingdom
Coldstream
Berwickshire
flag msg tools
mb
Time to get off the fence; I'm in for a deluxe 👌🏼
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hindseth
Norway
flag msg tools
Im rarely in the minority in these things, and I've heard some people complain about the artwork, but I don't understand... I found the artwork perfectly fine from the beginning. As a matter of fact, I really enjoyed the look.

My only gripe would be how the tiles fit together when revealed. Especially the crossroads that have three roads leading into nothing. Very un-carcassonne

Game looks stellar. I Would have loved some of the artwork on my walls but had to stop after pledging for the third tier. (Deluxe? Premium?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Marinov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I haven't looked closely at the game until now, can someone tell me what the colours and shapes of these tiles represent? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vega777 wrote:
Sorry, I haven't looked closely at the game until now, can someone tell me what the colours and shapes of these tiles represent? Thanks!

These are the backs of the tiles.

The green represents the Ageless Realms, which is an easier safer area. The orange represents Azure rise, which is a more dangerous, destroyed area.

The icons are just representative of features from those regions, they don't have any game function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.