Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't back the game on Kickstarter (though I would have had I found it soon enough). So I bought the game on BGG market (with some excitement) and I am not hunting down the (unnecessary really but cool) 3D sculptures.

Unfortunately, eBay can be problematic and it turned out the construction area was missing it's mast. I think that is meant to be the crane. Fortunately, I have a big "bit box" full of bits and bobs and I think I have found a good replacement.

Course this is just the initial gluing (using zap CA). I may apply a tiny bit extra glue to this once it dries, but I think it looks pretty close once it's painted. Here they all are.

Not quite sure what to do with the greenhouse. I'm guessing I should go to my hobby shop and maybe try to find some really small scale Railroad trees to put inside? Maybe even those wouldn't be small enough though. Any ideas? Note that I have the dome for the greenhouse, it's just not in the picture.

Curiously I'm already starting to paint some 3D "city" tiles for Terraforming mars.

I'm not sure what color to paint the domes -- grey or I tried a bone white here with an idea of brushing white on using a black wash and then maybe a white drybrush? Not sure if that would look good or not. I'm not that experienced a painter but I suspect that both of these projects should probably look similar.

Any suggestions on techniques or color schemes? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used something like this:

and it looks like this:

Paints used:
Black primer.
Citadel Technical Martian Ironearth or Citadel Texture Marian Ironcrust + Soft/Strong Tone (Army Painter) + Anti-shine Varnish (Army painter)
The rest is Army Painter:
Ash Gray/Matt Black/Matt White - most of the buildings
Crystal Blue/Deep Blue - solar panels
Hydra Turquoise + Blue Tone - water in the greenhouse
Greenskin + Green Tone - for greenhouses
Full Plate Metal + Soft Tone/Dark Tone - for metal components (tanks, solar panels frames etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MordimerMort wrote:
I used something like this:

and it looks like this:

Paints used:
Black primer.
Citadel Technical Martian Ironearth or Citadel Texture Marian Ironcrust + Soft/Strong Tone (Army Painter) + Anti-shine Varnish (Army painter)
The rest is Army Painter:
Ash Gray/Matt Black/Matt White - most of the buildings
Crystal Blue/Deep Blue - solar panels
Hydra Turquoise + Blue Tone - water in the greenhouse
Greenskin + Green Tone - for greenhouses
Full Plate Metal + Soft Tone/Dark Tone - for metal components (tanks, solar panels frames etc)

The first picture doesn't show up for me. Something about permission.

Turned out that 4 pieces of my minis were broken off in my eBay purchase and not included so I can't even glue them back on! I replaced the missing pieces as well as I could from my bit box. Two towers from water processing, one tank from the lab I think or the education center, and the one from the construction site.

Anyway, I did see the Martian paint at my hobby store but I didn't buy it then. Maybe I should go back. Is it just the color or does it kind of break up like your stuff shows? Nice work by the way.

How do you get the white domes, grey base, then black wash, then white drybrush? Or do I have that wrong? What did you use for the little vegetation under the dome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok, here I am with all 3 broken miniatures with my repairs and primed (so that the metal is the same color now as the mini.

The original repaired construction mini is in the center. The spire on the dome is a metal part subbing for the construction crane. Then the water reclamation plant on top of the sand sponge has it's two towers to the left replaced with a bit more exotic towers. Even so, they look pretty cool. Different, but not unbelievable. The third one which isn't maybe so close is the Lab I think (or maybe the Ed center) to the left of the Water plant. The tank in the greenhouse circle to the right was broken off and missing and has been replaced by a cone. On the whole, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome but I'm not pleased by the seller using a generic picture with everything intact and dodging responsibility when queried.

These things are hard to get so I wouldn't send them back, but I would have liked him to at least show some remorse. These particular missing parts were probably missing from the game manufacturer but I figure if you're selling them on eBay without even warning about the generic photo, you bear some responsibility. I may go get the martian paints first before I try to paint them. I'd appreciate MordimerMort giving me some info on those special martian paints -- any special techniques using them and so forth. And tell me about that greenery in the greenhouse too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the broken image.
Here's the link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ChIza-DqGxeDBQSkttVG95Y00...

I used Black primer on every mini, then added Ash Gray, drybrushed with Matt White and added some details with Matt Black / Metal / Pure Red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MordimerMort wrote:
Sorry for the broken image.
Here's the link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ChIza-DqGxeDBQSkttVG95Y00...

I used Black primer on every mini, then added Ash Gray, drybrushed with Matt White and added some details with Matt Black / Metal / Pure Red.

Thanks. Those plants look real. Or are they good looking artificial ones? Where did you get them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well went to the hobby store and got some of the Martian paint. Watched a video on it and it's certainly different. Here's what I'm going to try.

The solar panels has a lot of flat ground around the buildings. I'm going to paint it orange red first. Then I'm going to spread on the Martian ironearth so that it's thick but not too thick (not as thick as the iron crust paint). Then I'm going to put it under a lamp and let it dry for a day. Then I may like the way it looks. If not I may try a wash and a dry brush though I'm not sure what order. If it looks good, I'll use it on the others.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy working my way through this. The martian paint is cool but hard to apply sparingly. You have to smear it on to make the best outcome and it's had to do that around small parts. Still, it has such a cool look. This is nowhere near done but you can see the Martian Ironearth surface. Hopefully it will all look OK when I'm done but I kind of like what the Ironearth looks like when it dries. It's going to take forever though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is it, the final version! I'm not the best painter, I had to repair the items thanks to an eBay seller selling me damaged goods (probably not knowing but definitely not caring after the fact), and then I had to paint them up. Not as good as the pictures in this game's images I was using as a model though right? But I think they will do. Now how do I carry these delicate things around with me when I want to play the game. I have NO idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.