Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Cat Five
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, to my knowledge downgrade is never possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eMale wrote:
ngajoe wrote:
No, to my knowledge downgrade is never possible.

How come? Sounds ridiculous? Is that why there's no such an option on the board?
There are so many games, out there, where you have the option to pay with more money than needed - and no change given!

You can pay with more than needed, by putting larger tiles on or using food vertically, or with silver. I've perhaps once ever realized that if only I hadn't upgraded that one tile feeding would be easier, and just moved on with a "whoops, didn't look far enough ahead" shrug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eMale wrote:
silvergoose wrote:
if only I hadn't upgraded that one tile feeding would be easier

You get me...!

Yup! I'm just saying that my answer is that it's like buying a whaling boat...and then the next turn realizing that 3 silver could have been really useful for something else and why oh why did I buy that boat...

Sucks, move on, etc. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Bugger this. I want a better world.”
badge
"Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible."
mbmbmbmbmb
eMale wrote:
Can I do that? Freely?

No you can't do that. Leather is not edible. Only red and orange goods can be used in the feast, blue and green are not valid choices and there is no way to "downgrade for free".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter St. John
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thematically each of the spaces represents your Viking tribes doing something, like crafting, going to the market, or trading with other cultures.

If you could just downgrade with no Vikings being used it wouldn't make sense.

They certainly could add a space to the board that represented your Viking downgrading items, but no one would ever use it, especially given you could just use a Viking at the market to solve your food problem.

It is true if you plan poorly you will end up with an inefficient feast and not score as well, but isn't that kind of the point of a board game, better decisions lead to better scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that the tiles follow a progression of yellow to red to green to blue simply represents a level of raw materials and effort required to produce the end product; it does not represent the actual conversion of one type of good into another. After all, you cannot make cutlery out of animal pelts, or fish from flax, or a coat of mail from a set of robes.

Similarly that the tiles are double-sided should be seen as no more than a convenience to aid handling and a shortcut to avoid having to print twice as many of the things. In some ways, the game might be better if each tile showed the same item on both sides (partly because it would reinforce the message that they don't represent the same thing, one thing upgraded from the other, but mostly because they wouldn't get flipped accidentally - I've seen it happen). That would add to the cost - and bulk - of the game though, probably unacceptably so. Hence the double-sided tiles could be regarded as a necessary compromise.

I think that the idea that tiles could be flipped in either direction) is perhaps an artifact of other, similar games where it makes more sense (yes, you can make an oven out of clay. Or out of bricks. So you pay in clay, but if you have flipped your clay to bricks you can still use them as clay). Not so in AFFO, where the tiles represent very different stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.