Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: solo_rules [+] yokohama [+] [View All]
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another wonderful game with multiple paths to victory and a wealth of interlocking/interacting parts — many thanks to all involved. Looks like I’ll be exploring the tactical and strategic joys of this one for quite a while. But… it calls out (to me, at least) for a solitaire variant.

So, after some brainstorming and play-testing, I hereby offer this one…

———————————————————————————-

You’ll be playing against what I call an “impeding auto-player” AI (which I will refer to as the “AP” from this point forward), which gets in your way and helps move the game long like a second player would — and there are tentative “win levels” included at the end, against which you can compare your scores.

You’ll need a D6 and a D10 (you could also use a deck of cards made up of the Ace-through-10 for this purpose if you do not have a D10 — just shuffle it and draw from the face-down stack, reshuffling as needed) to help the AP make some of its decisions. Use the 2-player set-up, and you will play as the first player and play normally. All standard rules and procedures remain in effect except where otherwise specified.

Here’s how the AP plays…

PLACEMENT STEP: The AP always has 3 Assistants. First, roll the D10 and go through the areas in “reading order” (i.e., start with the upper left area and go right, then back to the leftmost area in the second row, and so on) to determine the AP’s “target area” (I like to use a token of some sort to temporarily mark this area) for placement.

On its first turn (and on any turn after having moved its President and Assistants to its hand), the AP will then place 1 Assistant in this target area, and the other 2 in adjacent areas in reading order.

On subsequent turns (NOTE: the AP will almost always have 1 Assistant in its hand after the Recovery Step) the AP will place its Assistant in the area which completes the shortest path from its President toward that target area — when there are equal options to choose between, it will: 1) avoid your President if present in one of those areas; 2) place by reading order. If it places an Assistant in an area with your President, take 1 yen from the bank (NOTE: and pay 1 yen to the bank if you place an Assistant in an area with the AP’s President).

MOVEMENT STEP: (If using a token to mark the target area, remove it now). The AP’s President then rolls the D6 (“adjust” the roll to simplify: e.g. 12/34/56 if there are 3 areas, 123/456 if there are 2 — again, in reading order) to randomly choose among areas it can legally move to, and does so. If it passes through an area with your President, take 1 yen from the bank.

If there is no legal move available for the AP’s President, it will remove its President and all 3 of its Assistants from the board and end its turn.

AREA ACTION STEP:

Church: Use the D6 (or the D10 if 7 spaces are available) to choose an open space on the Church Management Board and place one Assistant (from its reserves) there.

Customs: Use the D6 to choose an open space on the Customs Management Board and place one Assistant (from its reserves) there.

Laboratory: Use the D6 to choose and take one Technology Card (will count toward the Technology Bonus points at game end).

Port: Use the D6 to choose and discard one Order Card.

Then, for these areas and all other areas, roll the D6 (again for the areas above) and take the following action there:

4 — if it has not yet built one, construct a Shop on the best (highest VP; extra reward to break ties) space;
5 — if one is present, discard the 5-Power Bonus Token;
6 — if the space is open, construct a Trading House.

If the AP takes an action in an area where you have constructed a Trading House, take 1 yen from the bank.

————————————————————

That’s pretty much it. I did flirt with just using the D10 to select an area to place the AP’s President and take an action each turn, but as this excludes the possible 1 yen payment benefits for the player during the AP’s Placement and Movement steps, I found the specified movement system to be better — and it is actually quite simple to use once you get the hang of it.

Here are the proposed “Win Levels”:

<140 VPs: Novice Merchant.
140-159: Fair — You are starting to learn the ropes.
160-179: Good — You are able to make a living now.
180-199: Excellent — You are becoming a respected and well known merchant.
200-219: Outstanding — You are now considered one of the top merchants in the city.
220+: Master Merchant — Congratulations! You are now the most renowned and
respected merchant in the city.

I hope I explained things clearly and didn’t leave something important out. Any questions, feedback, and/or suggestions for improvement would be most welcome, as always.

Thank you for your attention. I hope you find this variant for this marvelous game to be as much fun as I am…!

6/5/17 EDIT: After scoring 219(!) tonight, I decided to tweak the "Win Levels" a bit to accommodate the more skillful play which apparently comes with experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Manson
France
Istres
Bouches du Rhone
flag msg tools
badge
Thank you!!Now I can give a try to this superb game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Bergeron
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks ! I will try this very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are most welcome.

I attained my highest score (172 pts.) so far last evening, and have been doing progressively better with each play -- and so those "win levels" are at this point feeling about right. But I'd love to hear what kinds of scores others are attaining, so please feel free to share your results here...

Thanks. Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolay Nikitkin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Very interesting approach for a variant. i'll try this one out for sure.

Thanks for posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chifanpoe
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this, I will give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for posting a solo variant. Will try it later in the month. Played with four on a few occasions; none of my scoring is meeting your lowest target score ... curious to see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
247 in first playthrough. I must have done something wrong or misunderstood a rule.
I don't think the AI does enough to push for the end game. I found myself completing one order after the other, with no real fear of any end game trigger.

It was fun, though. The movement is well thought out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, Rasmus, and thanks for your feedback. That's quite a high score for a first play-through, indeed -- my highest score of 219 came on around my 4th or 5th play.

And, yes -- the main ways the AI can "push" to end the game is by taking actions in the Church and/or Customs areas, and so this is certainly one potentially random/"swingy" factor operative within this variant. I actually toyed with the idea of having the AI to some degree prioritize these areas when they fall within its network of possible areas to which it could move, but wound up just adjusting the "win levels" upward instead.

Glad it was fun, anyway! That's always the main thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Robertson
Chile
Santiago
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good Variant.

I played yesterday using it and ended wit 124 point, so I'm a Novice Merchant.

My problem was that with the dice roll was three 6s in a row, so the AP put three Trading House at the beginning of the play and the game ended with the last Trading House. Normally, what is the End Game condition in your games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, Jaime -- and thanks. That was sure a nasty run of 3 consecutive 6s by the AP there. Of the 5 possible end game conditions, I can't recall offhand which one(s) have most frequently served to end my games thus far.

Sometimes you can do things to increase chances of extending the game and thus increasing your score a bit -- but sometimes (as in the situation you noted here) that tricksy AP can just spin things out of your control and end the game more quickly than you wish. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popular Culture
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mb
I'm just wondering if you would. Consider making this a PDF download on the files page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry -- I'm embarrassed blush to admit that my computer/tech skills are minimal and inadequate to that task. But if anyone else would like to do this, you certainly would have both my permission and gratitude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ran this a few minutes ago and got 312 points. I stalled the game to near the very end. A lucky placement and movement to the Port by the AP ended the game. Otherwise, I would’ve ended it myself. Thankfully, I still got one more round to push for the final points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an awesome score...! Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
On Step 2B of the PDF rules it says to place 1 AP assistant on the area that completes the shortest route. But if the president is on 4 and the target is 10, that would be two spaces right? So you would have to place two assistants correct?

Also, if the President is already on the board and the target area doesn't have an assistant on it, do you place one on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, Gordon J. In response to your questions...

1) The target space actually just sets the direction -- i.e., you place the Assistant toward/in the direction of the target space, even though in some cases you will not reach it.

2) Not necessarily -- only if you actually reach it (i.e., it is adjacent to your President or one of your already placed Assistants.

Does that clarify things adequately? If not, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Elad wrote:
Greetings, Gordon J. In response to your questions...

1) The target space actually just sets the direction -- i.e., you place the Assistant toward/in the direction of the target space, even though in some cases you will not reach it.

2) Not necessarily -- only if you actually reach it (i.e., it is adjacent to your President or one of your already placed Assistants.

Does that clarify things adequately? If not, please let me know.

Yeah, makes sense. Thanks. Just played my first game and it went well. Thanks for making this variant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are most welcome. Glad you are enjoying it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard P.
Germany
Leichlingen
flag msg tools
Gave it a try today. Scored 122 and 226. First game ended relatively quick as automa placed all trade houses. Had more luck in my second game which I ended on my own by placing the fifth assistant on the church board.

But very nice variant, enjoyed it a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback -- glad you enjoyed it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Amiel
msg tools
Very good job, Dale!
My score on my first try: 222
I have some questions about placement/movement steps:

1) If AP's president is not currently on any area and target area is area number 10, do you place assistants on areas 10, 1 and 2?

2) If AP's president is adjacent to the target zone and an assistant is currently on it, do you place an assistant on the president's area?

3) If my president occupies an area with one of AP's assistants, and a AP's president occupies an area with another of his assistants (if I have placed an assistant with him, like in question 2), do you move him to the area with his third assistant anyway, or only if the die score matches?

4) On the church/laboratory, do you count only open spaces and place one of AP's assistants inevitably, or count all spaces and place an assistant only if the space isn't occupied yet?

Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, Guillaume. In response to your questions...

1) No -- work with adjacent areas in reading order, which would be areas 8 & 9;
2) Again, adjacent areas he could legally move to in reading order -- so maybe, depending on where the 3rd assistant is:
3) If I'm understanding your question correctly, he would indeed move to that 3rd area as it's the only legal move he has;
4) Just count open spaces.

Hopefully that clarifies things? If not, don't hesitate to get back to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Amiel
msg tools
Yes, I think! I will play a new game asap and see... Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Arce
Argentina
Rosario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great variant! Thanks a lot for sharing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.