Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: Starting point to learn the rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

So I am new to war-games, heard good things about this one and thought it might be a good starting point for a relative newbie like myself so I ordered COH ATB plus the Eastern Front solo expansion. I have seen that the rules for the expansion that came in the box went through some changes and one should instead download rules directly from the publisher's website--is that correct? I do find all the rules from the base game, the expansion and then changed/updated expansion rules to be a little bit overwhelming. Does anyone have good advice of how to best learn the rules keeping in mind I am just going to be playing it solo?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and have a great day!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Michael,

If you just bought the game and expansion new, the rules you have may be pretty up-to-date. There is a version number on the cover the rulebooks (bottom right, REALLY hard to see) and you can compare that to the version number of the documents on the website.

Generally, I think it's a good idea to NOT start directly with the solo expansion but to play a couple of the two-player scenarios by yourself (playing both sides) to better understand the basic concepts BUT (and that's a big but) there is a pretty substantial difference how the 2-player and the solo games of CoH handle a central aspect, which is the activation of units/phasing (solo if actually much better in that and easier to understand) so I'm not 100% convinced, this approach is necessary for CoH (maybe others can chime in)

Of course, everyone is different in how he/she learns things but what I find extremely helpful are "let's play" or "tutorial" videos on YouTube. There are some really good one for CoH and also the solo expansion that will get you to the point where you can start playing the game and only look into the rulebook "on the fly". Will post some links later ...

have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Here are some YouTube videos that I thought were very good for learning the base game and solo extension:

Very well-structured explanation of the main rules:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmQtJ0tbDbI&index=1&list=PLZ...

Rules primer for the solo expansion:
[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JRE3A88fFU&index=5&list=PLZ...
[/url]

Some playthroughs of the solo expansion that are quite instructional:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4CZEUP-aYI&index=6&list=PLZ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKxVizh1OD4&list=PLZa-XAh2J1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I would also learn the base game first (soloing both sides of the first few scenarios, if you don't have someone else to play with) to learn the core mechanisms before then learning the additional info need to manage the solitaire AI expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I bought the game just to play solo. I did find the rules to be quite overwhelming! The base game rules were harder to internalize than the solo rules. However, this file is a huge help for the base game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/97236/conflict-heroes-2nd...

I learned the solo rules from the original printing of the rulebook. With the extensive modifications made in the newest version, it should be pretty clear how to operate them. You can also look at some overview videos, as posted above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I jut jumped straight to the solo and did OK. I read both rule books first, but it wasn't that bad. The first game was slow, but it's totally doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Learn to play the first basic scenario from the base game, 2 sides.

2. Do the same with scenario 2

BUT skip both times the AP spend mechanism rules of the base game and use - from the start - the spend number on the solo cards.

This way you see how CoH went from a gamish wargame to a splendid wargame with the solo expansion.

Then read the first solo rules section to play firefight one of the solo expansion.

Some (solo) rules easely missed.

1. Blue cards for the AI means your AI unit will never do a spend check and a blue card activates any AI unit, spend or fresh.
2. Blue cards for the AI always means the AI tries to group fire/attack (because the units will never become spend).
3. Each time an AI is killed, you put one Blue Card out of its AI deck.
4. Read the movement of vehicules carefully.
5. Do not forget most vehicules have turrets that can fire outside of their front arcs with a +2 penalty.

The flow charts are very handy as well as the rules index.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.