Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Looking for the name of a toy from back in 1970 or so. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Motley Reynolds
msg tools
It was designed for kids, but it was an actual injection molding machine you could use to create cowboy figures. One of the metal molds was for a cowboy hat. The way the machine worked was, you'd put the mold in the machine and turn it on. When it got hot enough, you put in a colored resin blank into the top, and then pull down on a handle used to force the resin blank into the melter and then into the mold. You'd then turn the machine off, and when it cooled you removed the mold and then the newly formed cowboy hat or figure from the mold. Anyone remember these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Raymond
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Was this it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.samstoybox.com/toys/WesternInjector.html

This?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Motley Reynolds
msg tools
CallieMo wrote:

Yep, that's it. Thanks! My parents did not have a lot of money, but they always got us each a few of the coolest toys at xmas, and unusual stuff rather than the cult toys of the season. My dad would stay up all night putting the stuff together. One year I woke up to find a 4' x 8' fully landscaped golden gate slot car setup.

Can you imagine an Injector set that you can use to make all kinds of game components and minis at home instead of having to buy them with 50% markup and shipping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how toxic the plastic fumes were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was happy with anything made by Marx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Motley Reynolds
msg tools
Thunkd wrote:

Good question. But prolly no more toxic than all the fire retardants off-gassing from everything like curtains to chairs to sofas to carpets and mattresses in our homes. They even put the stuff in baby clothing. But I digress...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

well, i don't think it was a big deal. I don't seem to have any mintal empair mints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of the old monster maker kits I used to play with. You'd squirt the coloured goop into the molds, put them into the super hot plate thingy, then take them out. That was amazing stuff, you'd have tabs on one part that would slot into other parts and build the monsters up.

Sigh. Kids today get no cool toys.

edit: Ah, Mattel Thingmaker Dragons, that's what I had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Stewart
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Sigh. Kids today get no cool toys.

Except those lucky kids with 3D printers... pretty much takes the place of these types of toys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.