Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam vanLangenberg
Australia
Cheltenham
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't pointless censorship, what you have written is not a review. At best it is a session report. A review needs to contain your opinion of the game. All you wrote was a vague memory of a game you played many years ago.

It was considered poorly structured because the entire piece was a single paragraph. Did you read it out loud? It's a great way to tell whether or not your writing flows properly. It was considered irrelevant because it adds nothing. You didn't even say whether or not you enjoyed yourself while playing.

The next time you find yourself the victim of "pointless censorship", first look at the reasons behind it and then consider the fact that maybe they have a point.

Have a read of this thread before your next review attempt: Wanna write a great review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering: did you check the box for "This is a good post, give me some GeekGold"? I have some vague memory that articles were only sent off for moderation if that box was ticked. But maybe all reviews/session reports get sent that way...I don't know. I just post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, some people who have even a little bit of "power" feel that they simply must occasionally use (abuse) it.

I've enjoyed your session reports. If you decide to write them somewhere else let us know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not giving an opinion one way or the other, but I had a post rejected once and it ticked me off for a while too. I know the feeling. Just remember that was one person. There are thousands of us on here and most of us are interested in what you have to say, especially on a game that is this old. Being out of print keeps the number of posts down, so I'm always interested in just about anything anyone has too say here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one rejected and a couple others approved. I didn't see much difference between the three. Now I save what I write. If not approved for sessions (which give geekgold, which I do not think is why most people post a session report), I just post in General and it sails on through.

I think the moderators may be a little harsh when protecting the geekgold.
Still love this place, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

MrWD53 wrote:
It was submitted to sessions and rejected, so wasn't a review-had you read my repost you would have seen this...

This is not as clear as you may think it is. I thought it was supposed be a review because your introduction to this reads,

MrWD53 wrote:
Sorry guys, going to stop posting-for some reason a harmless review of the D-Day mission ...

If this is meant as a clarification it is not so clear that that's what you're doing;

MrWD53 wrote:
Bizarrely I can copy and paste it here-complete with rejection 'reasons' from sessions moderators

If you're unhappy about someone's interpretation of your work, you might consider it from the other perspective (when you look at someone else's work) and be a bit more forgiving.
If I were submitting a memory like this, I wouldn't consider it a session. It's an interesting reflection, but a bit short on the details that I would look for in a session. That may have figured in their considerations.

Also, your claims of censorship are a bit grand, considering you have just posted the entire thing here without any trouble. Many professional organizations use a form of peer review like this, and being rejected by it doesn't constitute censorship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

MrWD53 wrote:
Also abundantly clear if you read the posts I have made recently.

I'm not talking about what clarifications you may have made recently. I'm talking about your OP and your submission. Neither Adam nor the moderators were privy to your additional clarifications at the time of their offerings.

MrWD53 wrote:
Finally-it is not a vague memory

I didn't call it a "vague" memory. Since this is all about communication let's be honest about it, please.

MrWD53 wrote:
-it was part of a run of short thoughts

If this is true, then you can see how the moderators might have been confused about what it really was.

MrWD53 wrote:
about replaying the Ambush games 25 years after I last played them, i.e. I have played Missions 1-4 over the past two weeks, 25 years after I last played the game. And my posts are reflections on those games played very recently.

Where, in your submission does it make this clear?

MrWD53 wrote:

Subject: 25 years on....D-Day drop into Destiny
Now this one I remember...

Again, this is introduced as a memory, not a recent playing.
Though what's in your head may be clear, it's not coming out so clearly in print, as some of us have attempted to point out--after you posted to a public forum. You can choose to 'listen' to these opinions or just carry on being a victim. That's up to you.
Do you treat your editors like this?

edit to remove superfluous quote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can continue to post to session reports. Just don't click the option requesting its moderation for geekgold.

(For what it's worth, from the written text, I didn't realize it was a replay either)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MrWD53 wrote:
Well I guess I know why this site is called boardgame geek now....
1. I didn't check any boxes to ask for 'geek gold'-that would be beyond tragic.

It's currency on the site. It's not tragic or beyond tragic or beyond sad or whatever other condescending things you've written. But I think I was wrong about the check box for "good posts" - session reports might always go through modding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure BGG admin have their reasons for moderating in one section and not another. But just my thinking on the matter (for whatever that's worth) is that it makes sense to moderate reviews but not other sections.

Keeping reviews to a higher standard keeps that section more spare and, ostensibly, higher quality in order to better serve their purpose. Being able to gauge one's own interest in a game by perusing reviews is an important function on this site, in my mind. It has certainly served me well and guided my money toward some great finds as well as veered me away from things that weren't right for me. But I didn't have to wade through page after page of reviews, pseudo-reviews, and...other things. (My first thought writing this is the rules forums of some games where it feels like everyone and their dog is starting new thread after new thread to ask the same questions over and over again.)

On the other hand, freedom of expression to get a variety of viewpoints is also valuable here so having other forums that are not tightly moderated allows for that. So it doesn't feel like an inconsistency to me so much as giving us both unfettered sharing and a leaner review pool.

This is my take on the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Lorayne
msg tools
MrWD53 wrote:
Anyway I actually have a life, and don't take board games or internet forums as seriously as some obviously do. Rather than get stuck in a geek obsessed tale spin of pointless arguing with people who should get out more, this correspondence is closed. Post what you like hereafter-I aint coming back.

You sure talk a lot about something you apparently don't care for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Looks like he's taken his ball and gone home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the rules clearly state that we can talk about anyone who is not here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So...maybe the moderation was right, but the real question is whether being right was worth driving away a new erudite member? I would say not.

It reminds me of an old saying, something about when driving a car you might have the right of way but if taking advantage of that right of way caused a preventable accident was it really worth damaging both parties?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above. One of my least favorite things about the internet is what anonymity allows one to say and act. Probably a nice dude. I almost left for a similar reason until I realized I was getting more positive from BGG than negative. I just don't post quite as much as I would otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to sound harsh and I don't want to drive away people who will be positive members of this community. So many perspectives coming together to discuss a love of boardgames is wonderful.

But whether or not erudition was present, the seeming defensiveness and petulance makes me think that not only was BGG not right for him, but he was not going to be right for BGG. Discussion is what happens here. Playing nice with others, allowing for differing perspectives with equanimity- those traits along with a love of boardgames are what this community needs. I consistently sense all three from you, lucky henry. He seemed to be sorely lacking in the first two. Which is fine and I think he made the right choice for him. But I don't think BGG will miss out on his absence. That's just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coil23 wrote:
I don't mean to sound harsh and I don't want to drive away people who will be positive members of this community. So many perspectives coming together to discuss a love of boardgames is wonderful.

But whether or not erudition was present, the seeming defensiveness and petulance makes me think that not only was BGG not right for him, but he was not going to be right for BGG. Discussion is what happens here. Playing nice with others, allowing for differing perspectives with equanimity- those traits along with a love of boardgames are what this community needs. I consistently sense all three from you, lucky henry. He seemed to be sorely lacking in the first two. Which is fine and I think he made the right choice for him. But I don't think BGG will miss out on his absence. That's just my opinion.

Thank you, Matthew. Fear not, I wasn't implying that you drove him away. I was alluding to a couple of self-righteous-sounding people higher up in the thread who took issue with the post being in the wrong forum (gasp! can't have that!) and then belittling him for not knowing better. They could take some lessons in playing nice with others and allowing for differing perspectives. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I agree that a measured response is best.
It's worth pointing out, here, that he was impugning the efforts of moderators. And yes it was a rant, and though they may be anonymous, the moderators, too, deserve to be treated just as fairly. So to ask for some consideration on their behalf is not out of line, either. It's a shame he couldn't see how they may just have misunderstood what he was trying to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

lucky henry wrote:
coil23 wrote:

Thank you, Matthew. Fear not, I wasn't implying that you drove him away. I was alluding to a couple of self-righteous-sounding people higher up in the thread who took issue with the post being in the wrong forum (gasp! can't have that!) and then belittling him for not knowing better. They could take some lessons in playing nice with others and allowing for differing perspectives. shake

This is no more fair.
If you have an issue with someone you owe it to that person to share your concerns with him and not leave a cloud hanging over anyone who was part of the thread.
Not sure I'm seeing much yielding of the right of way here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.