25 Posts

Century: Spice Road» Forums » General

Subject: Love the game, bought but couple of issues, gripes and questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Whyle
msg tools
mb
Played demo at UK Expo and liked it so much got a copy straight away. But couple of issues, gripes and questions.

Issues and Gripes

1. £35 and no playmat (no even cardboard one)!! - recently got copy of Concordia + Britannia/Germanica expansion for £50 and there's a lot of pieces and board. Caverna £55 and that's a spare building block of components.

2. Why aren't there symbols representing the colours? Terrible if you're colour deficient.

3. If I sleeve the cards they won't fit in box without losing nice insert. Though when/if I get a play mat the insert will have to go.

Rules / Components Question

1. Why are there reducing amounts of counters for 'higher' value spices when the rules say if you exhaust a supply use a substitute. Could it be an advanced version where you're restricted by the supply?

Like to point out I love the game, different enough to Splendor (we'll still play Splendor) and be interesting how the Trilogy will work together and individually, but the 3 issues/gripes shouldn't get past the design / publishing check list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
JollyMack wrote:

3. If I sleeve the cards they won't fit in box without losing nice insert. Though when/if I get a play mat the insert will have to go.

Play mat doesn't fit in the box, toss the insert anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordy Lelon
Belgium
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
In its defence:

1. Splendor also only has cards and is priced only slightly lower. C:SR has the bowls, the coins and the cubes. You also don't really pay only for what's in the box. You also pay for the art, development of the game, as well as shipping and production costs.

2. Reducing amount is because the lower resources are used more often. Yellow is used a lot, while you will probably only be having a few browns before turning them in for points. Making equal amounts of all seems not necessary (either limiting the amount of yellow, or having too many browns which will never be used).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jlelon wrote:
Splendor also only has cards and is priced only slightly lower.

Besides the cards, Splendor also has those nice heavy poker chip like gems that must have some production cost associated with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
sverbeure wrote:
jlelon wrote:
Splendor also only has cards and is priced only slightly lower.

Besides the cards, Splendor also has those nice heavy poker chip like gems that must have some production cost associated with it.

Splendor's pokey chip are more cheaply made in the latest printings. Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I'd rather have a board rather than 4 Cups I could provide myself, just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
jlelon wrote:
In its defence:

1. Splendor also only has cards and is priced only slightly lower. C:SR has the bowls, the coins and the cubes. You also don't really pay only for what's in the box. You also pay for the art, development of the game, as well as shipping and production costs.

2. Reducing amount is because the lower resources are used more often. Yellow is used a lot, while you will probably only be having a few browns before turning them in for points. Making equal amounts of all seems not necessary (either limiting the amount of yellow, or having too many browns which will never be used).

I will add that the insert complain is made for close to close to 100% of the games out there that have a molded insert.
If they made it to accomodate sleeves, people would complain that the cards are moving everywhere. They have to choose between sleevers and non-sleevers. The majority will always win (especially in a game where even if the cards deteriorate to the point of being able to identify them at a glance, it still would not change the game much).

With Caravan's insert, you can store the game vertically, and nothing moves at all in the box. It's litterally one of the best inserts made in recent years. Wanna sleeve? Toss the insert...

What i will concede is the colours and symbols. Although:
- Even if 10% of the population is colourblind, it's not 100% of that 10% that is having trouble with the colours in this particular game. The red, green and brown in this game cannot be differentiated by around 1% of males. Maybe others won't see them the same... but they'll still be able to distinguish them. At one point, would you design a game for all types of handicaps out there (you would never end designing).
- Symbols? Sure, they could have... They'd have needed to change the cubes to shapes. Higher production cost though... and you were already complaining about the price.

And about the price comparison... Splendor is commonly criticized for being able to fix in a deck box and yet shipping in a huge box. I don't think Caravan will suffer that criticism. There are a lot more stuff in Caravan.
In fact, i would have personally liked it more if Caravan's box was a standard shape. It would've been larger than "needed" for sure, but it would prevent the Tetris puzzle in the games shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JollyMack wrote:
2. Why aren't there symbols representing the colours? Terrible if you're colour deficient.

deedob wrote:
What i will concede is the colours and symbols. Although:
- Even if 10% of the population is colourblind, it's not 100% of that 10% that is having trouble with the colours in this particular game. The red, green and brown in this game cannot be differentiated by around 1% of males. Maybe others won't see them the same... but they'll still be able to distinguish them. At one point, would you design a game for all types of handicaps out there (you would never end designing).
- Symbols? Sure, they could have... They'd have needed to change the cubes to shapes. Higher production cost though... and you were already complaining about the price.

Am I the only one that think that the generic cubes and their color have a purpose??? If the 3 games in the trilogy can be mix and match to be played together, maybe that it was a design choice to keep generic cubes and color (instead on fancy wooden tokens) in order for them to be able to represent different things.

deedob wrote:
In fact, i would have personally liked it more if Caravan's box was a standard shape. It would've been larger than "needed" for sure, but it would prevent the Tetris puzzle in the games shelf.

It is a standard shape. It's a Carcassonne / Isle of Skye standard rectangular shape.

EDIT: Typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to point out that I sleeved all my cards. I used an Exacto blade to trim the card well of the insert. All of the cards still fit, and the rest of the insert still holds everything in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Have to agree with all the OP's points.

The "not color blind friendly" issue is one that many game producers still don't seem to care about. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Whyle
msg tools
mb
WBuchanan wrote:

I agree. Board over Bowls.

Although they're nice, it's much easier to supply own bowls than a board, and you could just place the counters on board in colour areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
JollyMack wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

Although they're nice, it's much easier to supply own bowls than a board, and you could just place the counters on board in colour areas.

The mat is much more costly to produce than the 4 bowls.

The bowls make setup for this game take less than 20 seconds, fit in the insert and prevent the cubes from moving in the box even when it is stored vertically.

If i had to provide my own bowls, they would actually lose their main function, which is storing and quick set-up and teardown. You could simply make 4 different piles of cubes on the table and forget bowls entirely.

In short, the bowls are actually a part of the insert. They are really well designed. You can't take any bowls to replace them... where the mat can be replaced by any neoprene mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
JollyMack wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

Agreed. Many of us love the art in board games. The board complements the feel of the game really well and adds a huge amount of art to enjoy while playing. It's beautiful so leaving it out and only allowing a few people to have it feels like putting marketing above product. We aren't used to that in board gaming where you have a few small companies producing amazing things for the love of it. For me it's very sad and just puts me off the company.

But the bowls are nice too of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Rikboy wrote:
JollyMack wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

Agreed. Many of us love the art in board games. The board complements the feel of the game really well and adds a huge amount of art to enjoy while playing. It's beautiful so leaving it out and only allowing a few people to have it feels like putting marketing above product. We aren't used to that in board gaming where you have a few small companies producing amazing things for the love of it. For me it's very sad and just puts me off the company.

At 20$ (guessing) more for the mat for it to be included in the game, people would have complained it's too expansive.

If you want the mat, it can still be ordered.

Where's the problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's generally considered appropriate to make posts specific to a forum in that forum. You have basically combined two posts into one. You also have a generic title that doesn't work well in the rules forum. I would suggest, either in the future or now if you're so inclined, making a new post in General with your gripes and then renaming this post with specific wording about your rules question. Though it could be argued that even that isn't really a rules question. This should probably entirely be in General.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cotter
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Got my copy on Friday at UKGE for £28 (Games Lore)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
deedob wrote:
Rikboy wrote:
JollyMack wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

At 20$ (guessing) more for the mat for it to be included in the game, people would have complained it's too expansive.

Where's the problem?

It isn't available outside the USA so not an option for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Whyle
msg tools
mb
Hi Donny, thank you for the advice. I've only posted a couple of times before, so any advice is helpful. To be honest I wasn't expecting so many replies. How do I change this post to be in the General section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JollyMack wrote:
Hi Donny, thank you for the advice. I've only posted a couple of times before, so any advice is helpful. To be honest I wasn't expecting so many replies. How do I change this post to be in the General section?

Now that it's posted, you can't. Though clicking the red X at the top of the thread offers a "wrong forum" option. Doesn't seem to be getting enough clicks, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Rikboy wrote:
deedob wrote:
Rikboy wrote:
JollyMack wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

Where's the problem?

Only in the USA? Its a Canadian company and they ship to the US from Canada... They also ship to the UK and France (still from Canada). You did actually check before complaining, right..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
cormor321 wrote:
Rikboy wrote:
deedob wrote:
Rikboy wrote:
JollyMack wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

Where's the problem?

Only in the USA? Its a Canadian company and they ship to the US from Canada... They also ship to the UK and France (still from Canada). You did actually check before complaining, right..?

Yes the option didn't come up for me. I emailed them weeks ago now and never got a reply. So I assumed it was not possible to buy outside of certain locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Dork
United States
Silver Spring
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards don't even fit in mine when they aren't sleeved. Insert is pretty bad.If you plan on playing the game. I will trash it soon. If the playmat box was a little longer could put everything in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
The Red Player wrote:
(Games Lore)

Games Lore rocks! Kudos to Paul for running such a great operation, and for helping me out these past two years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
BlindsideDork wrote:
Cards don't even fit in mine when they aren't sleeved. Insert is pretty bad.If you plan on playing the game. I will trash it soon. If the playmat box was a little longer could put everything in there.
mMy cards all fit fine in the insert. Once sleeved, a little work in the card well with an Xacto blade allowed me to fit the sleeved cards in the insert just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
BlindsideDork wrote:
mMy cards all fit fine in the insert. Once sleeved, a little work in the card well with an Xacto blade allowed me to fit the sleeved cards in the insert just fine.

Me too. All my unsleeved cards fit the insert perfectly. In fact, the cards are flush and don't move at all in the box, even when stored vertically.

I think this is the best insert to have been made in recent years. The cubes in the bowls stay inside them and because of that, the game can be setup and stored in seconds. This is the first time i've seen an insert actually decrease the setup and teardown time required for the game.

My only personal negative about the game is the oversized cards. I think i would have prefered regular size, as they are easier to handle, hold, shuffle, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.