Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
My shell is bigger than your apartment
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for my next medium/heavy euro and I cannot decide between these two.
They look different on a first look, but they are both worker placement (dice placement is a kind of wp) that you have to gather goods to satisfy a demand in order to get points and money(contracts on Voyages of Marco Polo/ beer recipes on Brew Crafters). Also both seem playable with 2 players, which is a big plus in my case.

Voyages of Marco Polo
is on my wishlist because I do not own any dice placement game. I used to have Castles of Burgundy. While I liked its mechanisms very much, the fact that some knowledge tiles would not appear on 2 and 3 player games was crucial for me, because clearly could work in favor of some players. Also I have traded away Grand Austria Hotel, because the dice could work against you and I found the depth of decisions actually below the average[/geekurl].

Brew Crafters seems like a solid worker placement, which scales well with all player counts and has an interesting theme, but I cannot tell the depth of it. Also I am afraid of it being a bit repetitive/not so exciting.

Here is a list of my tastes

Medium - heavy games I like: Terra Mystica,Fields of Arle, Concordia, The Gallerist, Vinhos, City of Iron (second edition)

Games will not buy: Viticulture Essential edition (Nice game, but I find too much luck involved in cards you draw), Myrmes (the theme!), Scythe (had it, played it, did't like it), Caylus (not bad, found it's mechanism a bit outdated), Food Chain Magnate (too heavy for some of my friends), Le Havre (I don't think I need another game with too many resources), Lord of the Ice Garden ( Heavy kingmaking problems), Russian Railroads (The theme does not appeal to my gf at all), Glass Road (I did not like this game at at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Withers
msg tools
Have you considered Bruges?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will S
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Brew Crafters but I can assure you that VoMP is a great game that gets better with every play for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
bhider wrote:

I think that it is a too tactical game with luck involved to it. Also the english version is OOP (at least I cannot find it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhider wrote:

If Viticulture is too random, adding dice to card draws like in Bruges will feel even more random.

+1 to Voyages here. Especially with the promo expansion characters (but the promo bonus chits you can skip if you don't like too much randomness)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco Polo is stellar. The characters are so unique. And playing each one and trying to take advantage of their bonuses is almost a game within itself. And I also recommend the bonus characters you can buy at the geek store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
We like many of the games you like - for example FoA and The Gallerist are top 5 games for us. I own Brewcrafters (a required posession for Portland OR eurogamers) and have played VoMP.

Brew Crafters reminds me of a fiddly variant of Agricola. Some people love it, while others (myself included) find it not worth the effort. I think we played it twice shortly after I bought it a few years ago, and it hasn't been played since. It's a shame the designers didn't include a solo variant - I'd probably play it by myself occasionally if so. I suggest you play a game before deciding to buy.

VoMP is fun and well designed, but I wouldn't bother to own it. You might like it more if dice placement and asymmetric players are exciting to you. The dice placement I prefer to this are Roll for the Galaxy and Steampunk Rally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't speak to Brew Crafters, however Voyages is an amazing game. Unlimited reply value. I to love Terra Mystica and I think Voyages is a good mix with being different enough to really grab you. You might want to look at Anachrony if you want something different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and I think they are both worth owning. If I had to pick one it would be Marco Polo. It feels a bit more polished than Brewcrafters and I enjoy the dice placement aspect. But you can't go wrong with either game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
S0laris wrote:
I am looking for my next medium/heavy euro and I cannot decide between these two.

Setup and breakdown for Brewcrafters is a greater challenge. I've found Marco Polo to be more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
From the feedback I get, I think that Marco Polo has the edge , so probably I am concluding on it. Thank you guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.