Popular Tags: [View All]
Rocky V
United States
INDIANAPOLIS
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi

I have a wooden table that I normally use for gaming..but I recently took a medium sized ping pong table for the basement and was thinking of using it for gaming also. I have an idea, please suggest if that is good or anyone have a better suggestion.

Use the felt that I saw on Amazon that exactly fits on the table which is 72 length and 32 wide and them put some table clips to not make it move.

Felt
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E99ZGM/ref=ox_sc_act_t...

Table Clips
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HAU2BM2/ref=ox_sc_act_t...

Below is the table that I purchased
JOOLA Midsize Table Tennis Table
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012QJZTI/ref=oh_aui_deta...

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many legs on that table and may get in your way when seated. The clips are going to be visible. Not sure about that felt.. I use a round wood poker table with an extra topper so no felt for me. If you have the room and are quite handy, you could build a dedicated game table. There are forums here on bgg about people making there own game tables. One day, I will try to make a game table myself or buy one of those pricey Geek Chic's or similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
32x72? how does that even work for pingpong?

Also seems small for gaming. Like the width of crappy plastic fold out ones that are too thin, and too long to use all the length since you can't really put people at the ends.

so meh. I'd look elsewhere for something to put effort into turning into a gaming experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky V
United States
INDIANAPOLIS
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
its Medium ping pong..so the dimension 72 X 32. Also most of the games I play ..that size is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A lot of people play 2-4 player games and that table size would be fine for that. It all depends on the board size of each game of course.

That link on Amazon says the table is 36" wide which is actually a pretty ideal size for most games as most players around the table can reach all the way across the board without standing up.

Once tables are 40" or more in width... they can be a little too wide to comfortably reach across for some players.

Of course if you have big sprawling boardgames, the extra width can be an asset but for the majority of games with 2-4 players... or even 6, I think that size is fine.

I think that felt cover with clips could work fine as well.

One other advantage I see is that this table splits completely in two... so you could essentially have two 36" x 36" tables if/when you want to play smaller 2 player games at a meet up.

This looks to be a fairly flexible solution.

Of course you aren't spending $1000 on this unlike some of the fancier tables so you'll have to use some of that money you've saved to buy even more good boardgames to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the early eighties I found felt in a starry night sky pattern and bought enough to over a full sized ping pong table. We used to use it to play Star Fleet Battles with miniatures on the ping pong table in the squad bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think about 40-42 inches wide is ideal. Ours is 60x36 (a common dining table size in USA) and occasionally feels a bit narrow for games with a large main board plus player boards and bits.

Why would I need to reach all the way across? Am I stealing my opponents dubloons when they aren't looking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Talmanes wrote:
Why would I need to reach all the way across? Am I stealing my opponents dubloons when they aren't looking?

Your win:loss ratio is obviously a lot lower than mine as I play on a narrower table using the above mentioned tactical advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A full size table tennis table is 5' x 9'... not really ideal at all for most Euro/card games but for Warhammer/mini type games and other huge wargames I could see it being useful.

That would be 60" wide and 108" long.

I have a dining room table that's 42" x 60" (with additional leaves that can add more length)... and that works well for many games but I also find a narrower table works also.

Even a 30" wide x 72" long "cheap" plastic table works ok as it's portable and can accommodate 6 to 8 players depending on the game.

As far as the top surfaces go... there is an advantage to the felt tops as they help with picking up the cards more easily... but it's not as if you can't game without that either. Wooden topped or plastic topped tables are more than adequate as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:

Some games involve moving your own pieces anywhere on the board. Some involve taking a card blindly from the other side's hand. It means more exercise, but who wants to get up and go around the table with others worrying about hiding their hidden ... stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky V
United States
INDIANAPOLIS
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the advices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you wanted something really nice to cover that table... you could try a neoprene based mat.

They are basically like a really large mouse pad. The neoprene is underneath and on top is a nylon type fabric coating which give a really nice padded surface to the table.

The neoprene won't move around because it's heavy enough and has a rubber type grip and there won't be creases in the surface as the map will lay perfectly flat.

It's a more expensive option of course because for a 3' by 6' neoprene pad you'll likely pay $50+

Beautiful surface though and would likely be a good surface for that table.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Tabletop-Battlemat-Carrying-...

The excess would hang over the table on that specific mat on each side as it's 4'... like a table cloth basically which I think is fine but it could be cut if you wanted it to fit perfectly.

There are also some mats that are 36" x 36" so two could be slid together and there would be only the smallest of gaps where they meet

The mats are ~2mm thick so the edges where they meet would not likely be an issue (and again the mats could be used on two tables if the main table is split).

Another site that carries good quality neoprene material in even more varieties and sizes:

http://www.foamorder.com/neoprene/neoprene.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.