Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Fortress America» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fortress America -- original game -- help with rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cornelia Yoder
United States
Traverse City
Michigan
flag msg tools
Some friends and I dragged out a copy of the original Fortress America (Saddam version) and played it for the first time in many years. Of course we all fell in love with it again, but in the course of play, some questions came up that don't seem to be covered in the rules. I'm hoping someone here can clarify for us.

Each invader gets a certain number of BATTLE/CONTROL tokens, not all the same number. Is each invader limited to that number of areas controlled, or does each invader actually have an infinite number of those tokens, or some other way to handle running out?

We had a lot of questions on partisan cards, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a full list and description of what the cards do.

For example, we had a lot of discussion about what happens when partisans appear in sections or areas where an invader is in control. Does the partisan still appear and the invader immediately lose control? If invader units are there, do they combat immediately?

Some cards said they couldn't be used on an invader-controlled city, but other similar cards didn't state that, so are city spaces available unless the card says not? What if they are defended?

Lots of questions like that came up, so if anyone knows of a more through explanation, I'd sure love to have it.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CorneliaYoder wrote:
Each invader gets a certain number of BATTLE/CONTROL tokens, not all the same number. Is each invader limited to that number of areas controlled, or does each invader actually have an infinite number of those tokens, or some other way to handle running out?


There is a hard limit for military units, but I didn't see one for the markers in either the old or new rules. I would go with group consensus since you can argue either way. My hunch is that the breakdown was related more to giving each faction a realistic quantity based on the territories they were likely to have access too while keeping the piece count down instead of printing another token board.

Quote:
For example, we had a lot of discussion about what happens when partisans appear in sections or areas where an invader is in control. Does the partisan still appear and the invader immediately lose control? If invader units are there, do they combat immediately?

Some cards said they couldn't be used on an invader-controlled city, but other similar cards didn't state that, so are city spaces available unless the card says not? What if they are defended?


Default to the rules as per Action 1: Reinforcements - Partisan Cards, unless the card states otherwise:

- Reinforcements from Partisan Cards cannot be placed in invasion zones, enemy-occupied territories, or unoccupied enemy-controlled CITY territories (with the exception being the "Major Airlift!" card).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelia Yoder
United States
Traverse City
Michigan
flag msg tools
jyeackle wrote:
CorneliaYoder wrote:
Each invader gets a certain number of BATTLE/CONTROL tokens, not all the same number. Is each invader limited to that number of areas controlled, or does each invader actually have an infinite number of those tokens, or some other way to handle running out?


There is a hard limit for military units, but I didn't see one for the markers in either the old or new rules. I would go with group consensus since you can argue either way. My hunch is that the breakdown was related more to giving each faction a realistic quantity based on the territories they were likely to have access too while keeping the piece count down instead of printing another token board.

Quote:
For example, we had a lot of discussion about what happens when partisans appear in sections or areas where an invader is in control. Does the partisan still appear and the invader immediately lose control? If invader units are there, do they combat immediately?

Some cards said they couldn't be used on an invader-controlled city, but other similar cards didn't state that, so are city spaces available unless the card says not? What if they are defended?


Default to the rules as per Action 1: Reinforcements - Partisan Cards, unless the card states otherwise:

- Reinforcements from Partisan Cards cannot be placed in invasion zones, enemy-occupied territories, or unoccupied enemy-controlled CITY territories (with the exception being the "Major Airlift!" card).


Thank you, Jeff, this is about what we did, but there were still discussions about what happens (for example) if a partisan is to appear in the West, but there is no unoccupied space. So from this, it would appear that you just don't get the partisan?

Since no one has posted any link to more detail on these, perhaps you would answer a couple more specific questions...

1. There are a couple of cards that say "... destroy an invading unit (somewhere) and take control of the same or adjacent territory." So does this mean that you have to choose a territory that has no enemy units after you have destroyed just one? There is no battle with any remaining units?

2. "Army veterans rally together adjacent to St. Louis." Does this "together" mean that all 4 infantry on that card must be placed in the same territory, or can they be spread out as long as they are each adjacent to St. Louis?

3. Partisans "... raided the invader strongholds." Does "stronghold" mean they can raid an unoccupied city, or is that just flavor text?

Thanks for helping out
Cornelia
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CorneliaYoder wrote:
what happens (for example) if a partisan is to appear in the West, but there is no unoccupied space. So from this, it would appear that you just don't get the partisan?


Exactly, and there will also be many cases where you can only fulfill part, but not all of, a partisan card, which is perfectly legal, especially when it comes to component availability.

Quote:
1. There are a couple of cards that say "... destroy an invading unit (somewhere) and take control of the same or adjacent territory." So does this mean that you have to choose a territory that has no enemy units after you have destroyed just one? There is no battle with any remaining units?


If the enemy occupied territory you choose has more than one enemy unit, you destroy one and then, if possible, take control of an adjacent unoccupied enemy controlled territory. If there is only one enemy unit in the territory you choose, after that unit is destroyed you then have the option to take control of that territory (as long as it's not a city of course) or an adjacent unoccupied enemy controlled territory (again, if possible). If the territory you select to eliminate a unit from is occupied by more than one enemy unit, and it's surrounded by occupied enemy controlled territories, then you would ignore the second part of that sentence since it's not doable.

Quote:
2. "Army veterans rally together adjacent to St. Louis." Does this "together" mean that all 4 infantry on that card must be placed in the same territory, or can they be spread out as long as they are each adjacent to St. Louis?


As it doesn't specify, you can choose how to place the units (all in one or spread out), as long as they're in territories adjacent to St. Louis and meet all the normal placement restrictions.

Quote:
3. Partisans "... raided the invader strongholds." Does "stronghold" mean they can raid an unoccupied city, or is that just flavor text?


Just flavor text, only the MAJOR AIRLIFT! card allows for placing units into an enemy city territory (occupied or unoccupied).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Stalker
msg tools
I'll see if I can figure out how to post images here. If so, I can try to post a complete decks contents, broken down by the three categories I organise them into.




So, in the above two cards, we get the same mechanic, namely kill 1 (Any Unit), and take control of that or an adjacent territory. My questions on this stem from the duel aspects of the card. We know from the rules, that unless a card specifically allows it, you CANNOT place units directly into an unoccupied, enemy controlled city. But these two cards don't require that rule to be broken, so could you kill a unit in a city (Not place units in a city), and then place the units the card grants adjacent to the city where you killed the unit?

Comes down to is there a difference in killing in and then placing adjacent to a city, vs not being able to take a unit out of the city at all, as the card says "Not good in Cities"? This seems to me to be unclear, at least to me.

Is it ok to post all the cards in three big images?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Navander
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
You can not kill a unit in a city using either of the cards you show.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Stalker
msg tools
erna3113 wrote:
You can not kill a unit in a city using either of the cards you show.
Thank you sir!

That was my take, but then I had doubts, and didn't really know whether or not I had been correct to prevent their use in killing city garrisons or not. Glad to have confirmation, and thanks for the speedy reply.

Also, I forget to re-ask, is it ok to post the whole deck in three big images?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.