15 Posts

Sub Terra» Forums » General

Subject: Sub Terra - Extra Components? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Cooknell
England
flag msg tools
Hi, I bought Sub Terra at the Games Expo on Saturday and I'm a bit puzzled by a couple of extra components I seem to have. One appears to be a sort of screen thing and the other 2 appear to be some sort of interlocking pieces. I can't see any reference to them in the manual and I'm slightly baffled as to what they are and what they're for. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Raines
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
--------
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It took me 25mins with my copy, but if you bend, fold, and slot the pieces together, you end up with a tower to stack the cave tiles in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cooknell
England
flag msg tools
Ashypants wrote:
It took me 25mins with my copy, but if you bend, fold, and slot the pieces together, you end up with a tower to stack the cave tiles in.

Ha ha! Excellent! Any chance of a photo of the finished article? I have all the visual skills of a blind hedgehog in a sack, so seeing the finished article might help me not utterly destroy the pieces.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put one of these together when I got home from the expo on Saturday. It's not too tricky, but I did find that it has trouble staying together, so if anyone has any ideas on how to make it more solid, I'd appreciate it.

Also... it doesn't fit back in the box when assembled! And I think that disassembling and reassembling each time you use it would be a) a pain and b) likely to break stuff, so for now, I'm leaving it outside the box, but I can see it might just get chucked at some point because of the inconvenience. Which is a shame, because I love the concept.

(If no-one beats me to it, I'll put a photo up here for you this evening).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Young
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe it's the tile holder assembled at the 8:10 mark of this Sub Terra unboxing video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRDlNDxJ7Vw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilly
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like the idea but can't get it to stay together, any tips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you're putting it together the right way up - it should lean backwards once complete. Also, there are hooks in each of the slots that are supposed to keep the floor and ceiling in place, so make sure to use those. Finally, realise that no matter what you do, it isn't very secure in any case. I'm thinking of seeing if I can use some toothpicks to make it stay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
(If no-one beats me to it, I'll put a photo up here for you this evening).

As promised. And the toothpick idea worked a treat! I coloured them black with a permanent marker and wedged them in. Now it's very solid.

Of course, it still won't fit back in the box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, those black toothpicks add even more flavor! Nice job, and thanks for the pics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cooknell
England
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone - no way on earth I'm figuring that out without your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Smith
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks for posting the photos.

It looks to me like there was a bit of mix-up when designing the tile holder. The tabs inside the slots look like the they're meant to hold the "floor" and "ceiling" in place, but they're upside down!

If you want the holder to stay together with the tabs, you need to have it upside down, with the crinkle-cut edge on the ground and the holder standing rather upright.

That, and the fact that it doesn't fit inside the box, mean the holder is less than useful. Which is a shame, as it's a good idea and looks great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Smith wrote:
Thanks for posting the photos.

It looks to me like there was a bit of mix-up when designing the tile holder. The tabs inside the slots look like the they're meant to hold the "floor" and "ceiling" in place, but they're upside down!

If you want the holder to stay together with the tabs, you need to have it upside down, with the crinkle-cut edge on the ground and the holder standing rather upright.

That, and the fact that it doesn't fit inside the box, mean the holder is less than useful. Which is a shame, as it's a good idea and looks great.

In my experience, it didn't matter which way up you put it. The tabs just weren't big enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Smith
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I ended up cutting some T-shaped "shims" from the counter sprue card and putting them in the slots on the all of the box. The "upright" of the T goes throught the slot, and the top "bar" stops the shim pushing all the way through.

That's enough to force the floor and ceiling onto the tabs, keeping the box in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McAssey
msg tools
Hahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick alter
Luxembourg
luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.