Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

This week marks the 50th anniversary of the conflict known as the Six-Day War.

The ripple effects of that struggle on the narrative of world history are still having an impact today.

Any plans to play a game on this subject?

I enjoyed creating this simulation of the fighting at Abu Ageila:

Memoir 1967 -- a scenario from the Six-Day War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

This week marks the 50th anniversary of the conflict known as the Six-Day War.

The ripple effects of that struggle on the narrative of world history are still having an impact today.

Any plans to play a game on this subject?

I enjoyed creating this simulation of the fighting at Abu Ageila:

Memoir 1967 -- a scenario from the Six-Day War

No plans on playing a 6 Day War game. There's only a handful of games that cover the topic and none so far cover it well. It has some obvious difficulties simulating as a two-player game (minus Modern War's Six Day War: 1967 use of Battle for Germany's competing front system). The war was one sided even if there were tense battles like at Abu Agheila and in Jerusalem. I still feel there's a void to be filled but only if done properly with strategic and political tensions and an uncertainly that the Israelis will dominate (yet still not deviate too far from realistic capability). Basically, the Arabs need to have options and fun too at an operational and strategic level without having McClellan Rules.

I have two games on the topic but not necessarily because they cover Six Day War: Sinai and Elusive Victory: The Air War over the Suez Canal, 1967-1973. I also played a bunch of The Arab-Israeli Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have The Arab-Israeli Wars and The Arab Israeli Wars in my collection and have played both quite a bit. As you say, there are no games that do a really good job of depicting this war, unfortunately.

Of the two games mentioned, the latter game actually does a surprising job of representing the strategic war in it's entirety. The game is based on the Axis & Allies game engine, but don't let that fool you. I have had a quite a bit of fun with this one, even going so far as to get a larger version of the map printed, as well as painting up a bunch of minis to use in place of the plastic and cardboard counters. It is much more fun this way, without a doubt. The third image below shows the difference in the original map and my larger, reprinted map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Dammit, I was going to post this. As a kid growing up in the 1960s, I was thinking that war was only like Vietnam: infantrymen creeping through the jungle, short and wild firefights, torrential rains, hardly any visibility, etc. Then the 1967 war happened, and it opened my eyes to the potentialities of modern warfare.

The social, cultural, political, and historical ramifications of the '67 war and the territory occupied by Israelis at the end of the war are still too fresh and close to make much sense of, even half a century later. At one point, the Israeli-Arab conflict was the issue of the Mideast. Now, it's faded pretty much into the background for everyone except the Israelis and the Palestinians.

Btw, GDW's "Sands of War" had a couple of decent scenarios on Abu Aghelia, both 1956 and 1967.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
pete belli wrote:

A very well-known photo from the war. I recall SPI using it for their Sinai game, as well as encountering it in various history books over the years. Centurions got a lot of the press after the war, but those old Super Shermans did pretty well in the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jb jeanba
France
flag msg tools
Time to play Desert Falcons or Sands of War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

A very well-known photo from the war. I recall SPI using it for their Sinai game, as well as encountering it in various history books over the years. Centurions got a lot of the press after the war, but those old Super Shermans did pretty well in the war.

Yep, and most numerous.

By my count, there were 8 Super Sherman battalions most containing a mix of the M50 sporting the long 75mm gun (used on the AMX-13 that was based on the Panther 75mm) and the M51 using basically a sawed-off version of a 105mm. One of these eight only had the "M1" which was WWII era Shermans with the 76mm (the Israelis just renamed the M4A? versions to M1).

There were 6 battalions of Centurions (all with the powerful 105mm) plus 3 independent companies (one having the original 20pdr).

Rounding out the rest of the tanks, there were only 2 battalions of M48's (mostly M48A2 with some M48A3's and all with the 90mm).

There were still 4 AMX-13 battalions left, used in district tank battalions and reserve units as well as in some recon units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bruce
United States
Colchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I put SPI's Sinai on the table just for this occasion.

I have not played this one in many years, but I remember the 1967 scenario as a very fun game, especially for solitaire play. My only problem is the (now faded) black lettering on dark blue for the Israeli units is a major eye strain. I have the original edition of the game. I note from the pics on BGG that there was a 2nd ed. with light blue Israeli units. Wish I had those!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IDF (Israeli Defense Force) is a great tactical level game with scenarios set within the 6 day war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.