Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the numerous threads and statistics available it's blatantly apparent that a 2 instigator game is much more difficult than a 3+ investigator game. Unusually, when a game has been released and physically in people's hands is when scaling issues can becomes apparent, thus in order to correct it you have to do variants or house ruling to make the experience enjoyable. This, although not great, is understandable due to the medium of board gaming - they can't physically recall every game, amend it, then send it back to everyone, it just isn't realistic.

However, Mansions of Madness doesn't have this excuse. Nothing that denotes the difficulty and scaling of the game is physically in the box - it's all in the app. There's nothing stopping them from doing a quick update to try and scale the game for two players. They could give the players slightly longer, give them more starting resources, spawn less monsters etc. So why don't they? I have no idea. I don't know if they are aware of it. I don't know if they agree with it. I don't know if they're currently working on an app update that would fix it. I don't know if they just can't be bothered to do it? I haven't a clue, and this is the frustrating thing.

One of my favourite things about BGG is being able to communicate with the designers and those associated with the game. Whether it's them helping you with rule clarifications, offering advice or just talking with you about their game in general, I love this aspect of the forum. FFG don't seem to have any representation or willingness to reach out to people on here which I find very disappointing. I like FFG's games and they are clearly very professional when it comes to product quality, but I find it hard to have any affinity with them as a company. It would be great to have an idea what updates they may be planning for the app, what their strategy is for the game in general, or just answer a couple questions to put things to bed. I'm aware they have no obligation to do any of this, and I'm not demanding they do or think I have any divine right to expect them to, I just find it odd that they wouldn't want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that this post contains mostly opinion, but from dealing with the computer game industry for many years I can imagine the board game world works in a similar fashion.

FF is a pretty unique company in terms of its size, cash flow, and the way it deals with licenses. As such it comes along with a lot of red tape usually in the form of particularly strong Non Disclosure Agreements that keep employees from speaking to the public. The "Speak out of turn and loose your career" kind. So one can forgive the designers for being tight lipped.

Still in this day and age you would think they would hire a PR manager for social media at the very least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of it like going to see a band. If you go to a local bar to see an indie band (i.e. buy a game from a regular game company) there is a pretty good chance you will get the opportunity to chat with them as they pack up their gear or sell t-shirts at the merch table (i.e. talk with the designer on BGG). If you go see Bruce Springsteen (i.e. buy a game from FFG) this just ain't gonna happen because there are too many people there to make it feasible for him to be accessible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's FFG's policy that their employees can't interact on BGG in an official capacity. They do have their own forums, but I've never gone there so I'm not sure how responsive they are there.

Regarding 2P, I play at that player count most of the time and have really enjoyed the game. I do like 3P+ more, but 2P is not anywhere near being broken and I don't think they need to do anything about it. There are lots of board games out there that don't scale perfectly at different player counts (Rahdo can tell you all about games that are bad at 2P) and the companies don't do anything about it (releasing rules changes online is much easier and cheaper than modifying an app) so FFG is the norm here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
I think it's FFG's policy that their employees can't interact on BGG in an official capacity. They do have their own forums, but I've never gone there so I'm not sure how responsive they are there.

They are as much as responsive there as here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is fine with 2 players so I don't know what they are supposed to be bothered by. It is harder with 2 than 3 players I have found but not broken by any means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
a 2 instigator game is much more difficult than a 3+ investigator game

From now forward I will think of playing this game as being an Instigator, causing things to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that you have to remember: just because something is believed true by a vocal minority does not mean it holds true for a (quiet) majority. FFG has to also consider how many players they might alienate with this 'fix' you propose. ("I used to love this game. Then they dumbed it down and made it too easy!")

Let's at least allow for the possibility that FFG is more aware of the facts and variables involved than we are, having done more research into the matter. Have you even tried contacting FFG with your concern over game difficulty to see how they respond before you came here to declare them apathetic/ignorant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
One thing that you have to remember: just because something is believed true by a vocal minority does not mean it holds true for a (quiet) majority. FFG has to also consider how many players they might alienate with this 'fix' you propose. ("I used to love this game. Then they dumbed it down and made it too easy!")

Let's at least allow for the possibility that FFG is more aware of the facts and variables involved than we are, having done more research into the matter. Have you even tried contacting FFG with your concern over game difficulty to see how they respond before you came here to declare them apathetic/ignorant?

I have tried twice contacting FFG before over two separate matters. Once they referred it to their legal department then it went dead, the second time got no reply at all except perhaps the automatic one. So yes, in my experience I have found them to be apathetic/ignorant as you so put it.

The rest of your post is speculation. I would like to see a difficulty mode such as easy/medium/hard - that way everyone would be able to enjoy the game by finding which would give the best experience for them. It really shouldn't be too difficult to develop into the app, you're only changing a few parameters depending on how you want to go about it (more time, more items, less monsters etc). Do you not think that would be a good idea, then everyone would be happy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying you're wrong. I've played it solo myself and found it very challenging. I'm just not sure if my experience is the norm or not. I only want to make sure all sides are fairly considered. Especially since most of the games in the Arkham Universe seem to be stacked slightly against the investigators anyway.

I would be okay with a difficulty setting, but again, I'm not everyone. I did once hear a suggestion offered to make 1-2 player games easier, and it requires no reprogramming. Although I confess I didn't use this when I played, the rule is simple. In two investigator games, each investigator gets three actions instead of two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.