Gaurav Savadi
msg tools
I'm an avid BGO player, and I also own the game. I really love this game and want to play it more often on the table.

However, the learning curve is steep for this, and the time is also an issue. Maybe not so much for 2p, but definitely for 3p and 4p. I'm wondering what other people do so that this game makes it to the table more often?

Do people play shortened versions? Peaceful versions?

I'd like to know your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aristotler wrote:
I'm an avid BGO player, and I also own the game. I really love this game and want to play it more often on the table.

However, the learning curve is steep for this, and the time is also an issue. Maybe not so much for 2p, but definitely for 3p and 4p. I'm wondering what other people do so that this game makes it to the table more often?

People learn the game and it gets faster with each play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
By our fourth play my mate and I were finishing full games in 2.5 hours.
We both learned from the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gulbranson
United States
Lindstrom
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I didn't have to try too hard, everyone knows going in how long it's going to take and anyone that is interested in civ building at all will usually give it a shot. Thankfully I have a decent sized group of friends, I've gotten at least 10 people to try it and they don't stop at one play either, even though they usually get rocked. I get in 1-2 3/4 player games a week on average and we always play the full version.

When new games get stale, we always return to TTA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous
msg tools
I personally prefer to play this game as a two player game in person (with one other opponent). I find that there's virtually no downtime because as soon as one player starts his/her end of turn sequence, the other player can start on his/her turn. With three players, there's quite a bit of downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
warren maruschak
Canada
winnipeg
manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Within my game groups, the game takes 45-50 minutes per player, so time is never an issue with our games. IMO this game is best with four players, and my four player face to face games never last much longer than 3.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grab
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot on BGO, but I like it the most with 4 players on the table, full version. It just feels much more fun. But yes, it's a long game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aristotler wrote:

Never less than 3
Never peaceful
Never shortened

Some people want everything from TTA, and unfortunately for them, they cannot have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
The longer the better. Not all my friends agree, but luckily we've got a steady group of four enthusiasts.

Incredible though that people finish within the given time. We take an evening an age (not counting A and IV of course). Not always being able to gather every week, means live games can take more than a month. My friend's got a huge table, so we just leave it and take pictures for the record. And in the meantime we play online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.