Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Whipple
United States
South Dennis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Really like this game mechanic...I tried scanning Geek lists for a list of similar type games but no luck in getting a good key word combo that did not generate a lot of clutter. So, can someone point me to a list of games like this...i.e. card driven story with with some decision making. I have pathfinder but as I recall it is more "deck building" so not the same type of mechanic. Someone mentioned Tales of Arabian nights in these threads and that looks interesting...what else is out there? Thanks

(and I cant resist...Either the rule book author made a bet saying they could produce the worst manual ever seen or its a vengeance move after getting burned by someone on staff, just cant believe it could be that bad without intent...as many have noted, really bad...but the game is good enough to get past the rulebook chaos)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
Sad to say I haven't seen a single thing like this anywhere.

Maybe This War of Mine: The Board Game which has a large narrative aspect around its resource management game. Closest I can think of.

I think this game could be reskinned to the American Revolution really well, and with all the Hamilton craze could do quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb

HHmm, it's not card driven, but En Garde! is pretty close to LoH.

In the game you are an adventurer in France during the time of the 3 Musketeers stories. Each game year is split into seasons and you decide what your character is going to do each week of each season: carouse, fight duels, join a regiment, learn new skills, etc. There are lots of tables you roll against to see what happens for each activity you want to perform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen some comments on CSW that the designer is working on a sequel to this that covers advancement in the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic era. Probably some time away, in any event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet played it but
Legends of the American Frontier
Is the closest I can think in that you develop the history of a character whilst playing.
However I suspect it is a bit short for what you want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard En Garde! mentioned a few times as a game with a similar RPG mechanic while you follow the career of a single adventurer.

I haven't picked up a copy yet, but I see the most recent edition show up on Ebay and Amazon for around $20.

LoH is truly one of my absolute favorites. I keep crossing my fingers that they might re-implemented the system to another historical setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
En Garde!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whipple
United States
South Dennis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
That would go to the top of my list! (response to a Napoleonic era Royal Navy version)

Thanks All...Looks like En Garde is a go!....interesting that one of the current version authors (Chadwick) is associated with another system I am attracted to, "Traveller"

Regards
(Just made it to season IX LoH and so far only a flesh wound ...but now I hear Monty Python music!)sauron

Edit: It is ten minutes after I made the above post. Sat down to LoH, drew "Dangerous Mission" card, wounded, rolled an 8 on wound table. BLAST! KIA. Adieu Grognard Phillipe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
Napoleon sneers at your English sketch comedy references.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
2/68th Armor: Silver Lions!
mbmbmbmb
It should be noted that En Garde! is intended to be a ruleset for use as a Play By Mail game. The more players the better. In the earlier days of the internet there were several PBEM games of this going on, one of which I participated in. There was a fair bit of roleplaying going on and the game required communications between the players before each turn to coordinate special activities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.