11 Posts

Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Theater Movement Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
Hi!

First, thanks for the wonderful game Mark, it's a truly great and original game.

My friend and I were playing the campaign game yesterday (I played the training scenarios myself) and a few questions came up.

1. Where in the rules are Rumors discussed? I'm assuming Phornio always receives 2 rumor markers as do players after debates. Are

2. Military Expeditions: This is how units move correct? I was trying to follow the flowchart to move Spartan forces from Athens to their will of the assembly objective near the top of the map, they would have had to pass through several athenian units. We were a little unsure how to resolve this and I left blocks behind while moving in order to satisfy the traveling stacking limits.

3. Follow up question, can you place theater issues anywhere? like for example lets say you put a league marker down first on a neutral box with no units, then you place next a military issue to move units there so a league can then be built when the league is revealed, is that legal? What happens if a league issue was revealed but conditions in the area wouldn't allow for the league issue, does nothing happen?

4. Strategic Redeployment: Units can just move anywhere during this phase correct? Does the AI need to follow a process?

Thanks and sorry if I mangled your game with my interpretations of the rules, thanks!

Ray
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberto87 wrote:
Hi!

First, thanks for the wonderful game Mark, it's a truly great and original game.

My friend and I were playing the campaign game yesterday (I played the training scenarios myself) and a few questions came up.

1. Where in the rules are Rumors discussed? I'm assuming Phornio always receives 2 rumor markers as do players after debates. Are

2. Military Expeditions: This is how units move correct? I was trying to follow the flowchart to move Spartan forces from Athens to their will of the assembly objective near the top of the map, they would have had to pass through several athenian units. We were a little unsure how to resolve this and I left blocks behind while moving in order to satisfy the traveling stacking limits.

3. Follow up question, can you place theater issues anywhere? like for example lets say you put a league marker down first on a neutral box with no units, then you place next a military issue to move units there so a league can then be built when the league is revealed, is that legal? What happens if a league issue was revealed but conditions in the area wouldn't allow for the league issue, does nothing happen?

4. Strategic Redeployment: Units can just move anywhere during this phase correct? Does the AI need to follow a process?

Thanks and sorry if I mangled your game with my interpretations of the rules, thanks!

Ray

1. Rumors, References: 7.5, 8.3,

8.41: "If a Rumor is revealed, it is resolved with no effect.

and yes, Phormio plays like a player, 15.61 A and B

2. It sounds like you did it correctly, for reference 9.32 specifically covers Military unit movement during Expedition Assembly (9.3).

3. Yes you can place issues in any theater in any order.

3. To your point about placing a League followed by a military issue to enable the subsequent League issue is in fact the heart of the game and exactly what you should be trying to accomplish. So, yes, legal by intent.

3. If an issue is revealed, such as a League issue in an enemy controlled or neutral theater, the League issue may be discarded as its conditions are not met.

4. Yes units can be placed (they do not move) anywhere where the conditions for its placement have been met.

4. As far as Phormio goes he always plays legally, so Spartan units have to end up in Theaters with Spartan bases etc. Whenever you have a question create two options and roll the die to decide.

I thank you for your kind remarks and your support. I hope my answers clear up your questions.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
MarkHerman wrote:
Liberto87 wrote:
Hi!

Ray

1. Rumors, References: 7.5, 8.3,

8.41: "If a Rumor is revealed, it is resolved with no effect.

and yes, Phormio plays like a player, 15.61 A and B

2. It sounds like you did it correctly, for reference 9.32 specifically covers Military unit movement during Expedition Assembly (9.3).

3. Yes you can place issues in any theater in any order.

3. To your point about placing a League followed by a military issue to enable the subsequent League issue is in fact the heart of the game and exactly what you should be trying to accomplish. So, yes, legal by intent.

3. If an issue is revealed, such as a League issue in an enemy controlled or neutral theater, the League issue may be discarded as its conditions are not met.

4. Yes units can be placed (they do not move) anywhere where the conditions for its placement have been met.

4. As far as Phormio goes he always plays legally, so Spartan units have to end up in Theaters with Spartan bases etc. Whenever you have a question create two options and roll the die to decide.

I thank you for your kind remarks and your support. I hope my answers clear up your questions.

Mark

Perfect! Glad to know I was doing movement right. This clears everything up, thanks again for the game and quick reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Gotti
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hello,

question 2 for me its not clear, it means this ?
when a military expedition is resolve i committed Stratego Tokens and units come to the resolving Theater thats clear, but when i cross with my reinforce units a enemy theater with more military value i must stop or i left units there to satisfy the exit condition to go further.

thx in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SonofAleric wrote:
hello,

when a military expedition is resolve i committed Stratego Tokens and units come to the resolving Theater thats clear, but when i cross with my reinforce units a enemy theater with more military value i must stop or i left units there to satisfy the exit condition to go further.

thx in advance

I am very unclear on what you are asking. Please ask this as an explicit example so I do not inadvertently mislead you with an incorrect answer.

That said, if you go to the Playbook, pg 22, right column 2nd paragraph and on through page 23, I cover in excruciating detail how to move during a Military Expedition. Hopefully that will help until I understand what you are asking.

All the best,
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
SonofAleric wrote:
hello,

thx in advance

I think i understand, was the same question I had, if you are moving a group of units and move into a space with enemies you must leave blocks in the enemy occupied space equal to the amount of enemies there in order to continue moving. So yeah you would drop blocks off as you move, I think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Gotti
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yes this is my question so i drop blocks in same turn without stopping
and go further ?

thx Raymond
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
SonofAleric wrote:
and go further ?

thx Raymond

Yep! Thats how I understand it, no worries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberto87 wrote:
SonofAleric wrote:
and go further ?

thx Raymond

Yes and remember that you are leaving blocks equal to the military value of the enemy blocks and bases. Bases count "2" as both land and naval units when figuring military values.)

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
Borz wrote:
Liberto87 wrote:
SonofAleric wrote:
and go further ?

thx Raymond

Yes and remember that you are leaving blocks equal to the military value of the enemy blocks and bases. Bases count "2" as both land and naval units when figuring military values.)

Cheers.

whoops I almost forgot that, thanks for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Gotti
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thx all
what a great game !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.