Popular Tags: false_premise [+] [View All]
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love these types of discussions. Seems like this is a warning sign to stay away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Good excuse to buy another set IMO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
What is Cool Stuff selling it for? Many times, the "sale" is their "regular online price" but gets more traffic for a specific title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
It's a game with tons of expansions!

Sell the base game for cheap, get folks in to buy expansions for "less cheap"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
It's a game with tons of expansions!

Sell the base game for cheap, get folks in to buy expansions for "less cheap"

This!

The base game is the hook... No worry at all that it's at that price today.

I think it's in FFG's best interest to get it into the hands of as many gamers as possible... once you play and "need" those extra units. That's where the money is made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're selling pre-order stuff for essentially the same discount. I don't think this is a fire sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hart
msg tools
I think the game has a good year to build up before anyone can know if it's a winner or not. Once there are at least 4 armies with a good selection of troops we'll have a better idea. Right now for me $70 is still too much to buy in, once it hits $50 then I'll bite, but then again I want the figures for other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1manworkshop wrote:
I think the game has a good year to build up before anyone can know if it's a winner or not. Once there are at least 4 armies with a good selection of troops we'll have a better idea. Right now for me $70 is still too much to buy in, once it hits $50 then I'll bite, but then again I want the figures for other games.

$50 is around wholesale pricing. That's definitely a fire sale. So if it's a winner, don't expect to find that price too often...! (and if it's a loser, well hey, like you say, the minis are really nice!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasty man
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol the title made me laugh as this title has been barely out over a month. so CSI put it on sale maybe they over bought and need the space it is a bulky box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To sell it for that big a discount it makes me wonder if they got the nod from FFG that its going the way of Battlelore 2nd ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
OliverOil wrote:
To sell it for that big a discount it makes me wonder if they got the nod from FFG that its going the way of Battlelore 2nd ed.

Do you actually have those thoughts wandering around your head?

They're silly ones. You should get rid of them.

It's not even on sale for less than the old normal price would be before asmodee started trying to bend everyone over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OliverOil wrote:

What?! Where do you get that idea from? They haven't even finished releasing all the things that they have in the development pipeline. Why would they be killing it when they haven't even seen the potential sales of the full game with 4 factions? I mean, at least Warhammer: Diskwars had some Organized Play tournaments before getting pulled, but this one is supposed to be a major Organized Play game and hasn't had a single large-scale tournament. Surely they're willing to see how this does over a couple years before dropping it. FFG doesn't strike me as a quick cash-grab kind of company. They gave BattleLore: Second Edition a fair shot; it lasted several years. This game already has way more product in production and they'll surely wait a few years to see how it does before giving up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telemicus wrote:
lol the title made me laugh as this title has been barely out over a month. so CSI put it on sale maybe they over bought and need the space it is a bulky box

I have two copies and I need the space......

Seriously oversized gigantic box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Diaz
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In typical FFG fashion, they sell you a "starter" set that's half a game in which you're forced to buy another core or tons of expansions to actually play the game in the way it was intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been wanting to jump in with two base sets and here we go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Apocalypse Dude wrote:
Been wanting to jump in with two base sets and here we go!

Limit one per buyer... Also doesn't make it sound like any kind of clear-the-shelves sale...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
no laws in ceres... just cops.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like Armada was dying when they put those core sets on sale, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a game is on the FFG Christmas Sale, it's over.

Until then it's fine.

Seriously though... It's kind of lame that they're selling the musician, banner and champion dudes separately. $30 for a unit upgrade seems expensive to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lrdjr wrote:
In typical FFG fashion, they sell you a "starter" set that's half a game in which you're forced to buy another core or tons of expansions to actually play the game in the way it was intended.

For a table top minis game, this core is a fantastic value. 2 Cores gets you a full 200 point army (of limited options) for 2 factions. There aren't many other games of this kind on the market where you can get that. Most will offer a starter warband set that's maybe 1/4 of a full, standard force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
Lrdjr wrote:

For a table top minis game, this core is a fantastic value. 2 Cores gets you a full 200 point army (of limited options) for 2 factions. There aren't many other games of this kind on the market where you can get that. Most will offer a starter warband set that's maybe 1/4 of a full, standard force.

I have read many many comments that disagree with your assessment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
OliverOil wrote:
kingbobb wrote:
Lrdjr wrote:

They are all, every last one, incorrect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
OliverOil wrote:
kingbobb wrote:
Lrdjr wrote:

They are all, every last one, incorrect

Feel free to let them all know individually via geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone post some actual numbers so we can put this debate to rest? I've been looking at prices of starter sets for various miniatures games to try to figure it out myself, but I have no idea how many points are included in these starter sets, nor how many points the main games are supposed to be, so it's hard to figure out just how good of a deal Runewars' core set is.

Until we see some comparisons with actual numbers, it just seems like a situation of people saying,
"Yes it is!"
"No it isn't!"
"Yes it is!"
"No it isn't!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
Can someone post some actual numbers so we can put this debate to rest? I've been looking at prices of starter sets for various miniatures games to try to figure it out myself, but I have no idea how many points are included in these starter sets, nor how many points the main games are supposed to be, so it's hard to figure out just how good of a deal Runewars' core set is.

Until we see some comparisons with actual numbers, it just seems like a situation of people saying,
"Yes it is!"
"No it isn't!"
"Yes it is!"
"No it isn't!"

Age of Signature, $125 MSRP, 47 figures.
Warhammer 40K Dark Imperium, $160 MSRP, 53 figures
Kings of War, Trident army, $85 MSRP, 54 figures
Gates of Antares, $112 MSRP, 39 figures.

This obviously doesn't compare size or quality of the figures, and each start set comes with various dice, templates, books, assorted fluff, and whatnot. But Runewars compare favorably on quantity, at least for the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
Budgernaut wrote:

"Yes it is!"
"No it isn't!"
"Yes it is!"
"No it isn't!"

Age of Signature, $125 MSRP, 47 figures.
Warhammer 40K Dark Imperium, $160 MSRP, 53 figures
Kings of War, Trident army, $85 MSRP, 54 figures
Gates of Antares, $112 MSRP, 39 figures.

That's all fine, but I could find as much myself. My concern is how much of a full army that gets you. How many points are in each of those boxes and how many points are full games? To me, I don't care as much about price-per-figure as I care about cost to field a tournament-legal army. Without access to the rules, it's tough to say. And games like Age of Sigmar that play with widely different point limits make comparisons even more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.