Popular Tags: [View All]
Gertjan Davies
Netherlands
Enschede
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I've ploughed through the threads, but couldn't find an relevant topic, so excuse me in advance if i missed it.

I played with a friend and he chose Interplanetary Cinematics and in his starting hand he also got advanced alloys, which works well together. Giving him and income of 40 credits (20 TP + 20 from the steel by not spending any of his steel).

After he also got lucky with the drafts giving him some mines, we decided to call it quits since he could almost buy anything. This was a complete whitewash after 5 rounds.

Did we play incorrect? Because we immediatly made a houserule, the 20 steel stays on the coorperate card for discount purposes only with building cards, steel obtained in other ways 'behave' like the normal way.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Was the player taking 20 Steel every generation? Because the 20 steel they receive at the start of the game for the corporation is only a one time benefit. All other steel would have to come from his production due to mines and such.

While advanced alloys is fantastic with any corporation that starts with steel or titanium it shouldn't allow them to buy "almost anything." Steel only allows you to discount cards with a Builder tag on them, and that is only about 30% of all cards (rough estimate on my part there).

And yes, Advanced Alloys do count for starting resources such as the 20 steel.

While it does sound like a fantastic opening for your opponent it most definitely isn't unstoppable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you interpreted advanced alloys as giving one income per steel (or titanium) the player has. That's incorrect, and getting 20 income for a pretty cheap card would indeed be broken. Advanced alloys only means that all your steel is worth 1 more when paying for building cards (so they are worth 3mc) and titanium is worth 1 more when paying for space cards (so 4mc or 5 if you are phobolog). The iconography can be confusing but the text is pretty clear here I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertjan Davies
Netherlands
Enschede
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought the Dutch version, some players in my groups like to have such text heavy games in their native languages. I prefer to play in English,

But long story short we read the text wrong.

We interpreted it as get one income per steel/titanium in posession.

But they give an extra 1 discount per cube, if i read it correctly
That is a nice combination, but not as OP as we thought.

I on the other hand had the coorperation with focus on building cities and had an effect cards which also give +2 M when a city is build, which isn't to shabby either.

Thanks for giving me a push in the right direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting that card is basically a 11 credit increase to your corporation starting money. It's simply a kickass card. Very strong start indeed, especially if you also have something that gives Steel/Titanium production from turn 1.

Also very powerful with Mining Guild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

As a golden rule: both, steel and titanium are ONLY used to pay certain types of cards. They don't give extra M€ income.

None of the existing cards in the deck will allow you to gain more M€ during the Production Phase using either Steel or Titanium.

Cards such Advanced Alloys (71) increases the value of steel and titanium +1M€, meaning they are worth 3M€ and 4M€, respectively when paying for cards.

Hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev Matiushenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
CBpegasus wrote:
... Advanced alloys only means that all your steel is worth 1 more when paying for building cards (so they are worth 3mc) and titanium is worth 1 more when paying for space cards (so 4mc or 5 if you are phobolog). ...
Let me get this clear: Phobolog + Advanced Alloys = 1 titanium = 5ME?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Univanger wrote:
CBpegasus wrote:
... Advanced alloys only means that all your steel is worth 1 more when paying for building cards (so they are worth 3mc) and titanium is worth 1 more when paying for space cards (so 4mc or 5 if you are phobolog). ...
Let me get this clear: Phobolog + Advanced Alloys = 1 titanium = 5ME?

yep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Advanced Alloys is a good card, but overrated: You're not net-positive until you've turned in your 13th steel and/or titanium cube.

9 (+3 to keep) = $12 is a significant percentage of your starting cash with any corporation, and there might be much better things in your starting hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.