Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the USA will no longer play along in the Paris Climate Accord, should the North America region be part of game?
Two key aspects of the Climate Accord:
1. Prevent the global temperature from rising 2 degrees by limiting CO2 emissions (build Greener power plants and discontinue use of fossil fuels)
2. The larger richer countries that made big profits using fossil fuels decades ago will contribute (CEPs) to poorer countries to help them develop greener power generation sources.

I know this is just a game, but what is happening in real world events seem be related to the mechanics of this game. So what would happen in a game where one region will not be cooperative?

Edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Rivest
Canada
Blainville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What wil lhappen to the North American region?
They could add a 1 vs all variant, where one player is the U.S. and the others are the rest of the world. The U.S. player is aiming for economic growth at all costs without having to worry about climate change, while the other players have to work together to control the carbon emissions and thus play the real game.

Just kidding. In the long run I'm optimistic the U.S. will wake up and go back fighting climate change, so making them out of the game because of what happens in 2017 probably wouldn't age well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponsonby Britt, OBE
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: What wil lhappen to the North American region?
I would suggest you move this topic to the Variant section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ponsonbybritt wrote:

Yeah I was thinking variant also at first, but then this is really a general question of what would happen if there is a lack of cooperation. In the old version a lack of cooperation would destroy the planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bogusgig wrote:
ponsonbybritt wrote:

Yeah I was thinking variant also at first, but then this is really a general question of what would happen if there is a lack of cooperation. In the old version a lack of cooperation would destroy the planet.

So it would be a variant that you can't win...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Was the US even part of the Kyoto Protocol when the original game came out?

Anyway, there is much more to North America than the US!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alejandro velasquez
United States
Bryan
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
"lingered in the twilight of our sun and moon but loved best the stars..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting out of the agreement is not that easy and will take some time. IT will take about 4 years for them to be removed. Like Obama said, by the time the US is out of the agreement the new president-elect has the call if they are out of it. Let us hope that America chooses a leader at that moment, that does care and prioritize the environment above his personal interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
majagua wrote:
Getting out of the agreement is not that easy and will take some time. IT will take about 4 years for them to be removed. Like Obama said, by the time the US is out of the agreement the new president-elect has the call if they are out of it. Let us hope that America chooses a leader at that moment, that does care and prioritize the environment above his personal interests.

Yes. 4 years to get out and it would only take about 30 days for the US to recommit to Paris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good to hear a bunch of city mayors (at least that's what I thought I read) deciding to stick with the accord anyway, despite what your president has decided...

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anness
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so everyone is clear, North America is not just the US. Canada has no part in what those people below them do. Canada's "leader" doesn't do anything so nothing will change with Canada in the next 2.5 years lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
And neither is Greenland. I'm very certain Greenland are very keen to make sure the temperature does not rise that much higher than it already has there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ah kaiser
Canada
Woodstock
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our "leader" kayaks to press conferences and delivers them in sandals and life jackets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a18sUQsDpts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Waenink
New Zealand
Whangarei
Northland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahkaiser wrote:
Our "leader" kayaks to press conferences and delivers them in sandals and life jackets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a18sUQsDpts

Canada's former "leader", Stephen Harper, arrived at a few press conferences using snowmobiles and jet skis. Different day - different political party - same PR stunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.