Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there ever a thought that the Soviet army and the SPA could have been independent players with different win conditions? Whilst they are very closely aligned, I'm left wondering if a trick wasn't missed there somehow as the two phases for the Soviet player are pretty isolated?

Reminding me of Churchill where Britain and USA have a naturally close relationship but the Japanese player it much more detached for a lot of the game. There's obviously no common enemy to everyone in this instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You meant the Soviet instead of Japanese player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
You meant the Soviet instead of Japanese player.
Heh, yes. I was that bad at it I might as well have been on their side!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Was there ever a thought that the Soviet army and the SPA could have been independent players with different win conditions? Whilst they are very closely aligned, I'm left wondering if a trick wasn't missed there somehow as the two phases for the Soviet player are pretty isolated?

Reminding me of Churchill where Britain and USA have a naturally close relationship but the Japanese Soviet player it much more detached for a lot of the game. There's obviously no common enemy to everyone in this instance.

Yes, in our very first draft of the game, it was indeed a 4 player game, 2v2, where the Soviet and the SPA players were controlled by different people.
The truth is most of the decisions left by the SPA phase are fairly trivial (go and shoot at the most vulnerable player), and the real meat of that decision is "how many cards can i afford to expend?" which is only meaningful if the SPA player knows what are the retrieval capabilities of the upcoming Soviet hand, and when the "Authorities open fire" headlines are coming up. Separate it into two hands, and then allow full communications between them seemed pointless, and disallowing the communication would have made the SPA decisions more arbitrary.

EDITed to add: there was never a version where one of them would win and not the other. That just didn't make any thematic sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah there's enough COIN games out there already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.