Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After everyone else went to bed, or went home, or went out drinking. I convinced Jim to play some Camels.

Jim is colorblind, red green I think. So some of the camels gave him trouble, though he could tell when they were side by side that they were different. The real problem is that he saw the bubblegum camels as blue. So when I would say something like, "The blue Camels are keen!" he would say, "those camels aren't blue! Your shirt is blue! that Camel is clearly pink." Game designers should really think this through. Colorblindness is a common enough thing, and not that hard to design around.

The first game was a learning game. I stomped Jim mercilessly. I haven't played the game enough to be able to effectively hold back a savage beating.

The second game we explored the merits of large chunks of space vs, lots of little chips. I won again by a healthy margin though jim was catching on.

The third game was fairly tight. I found myself often ending the games a bit prematurely so that Jim couldn't finish his areas. This is much easier to control in a two person game.

The fourth game Jim finnnally came into his own and just outplayed me to a 111 to 103 victory I think. Go Jim.

This game doesn't have the same mechanics as go. But it very much hits the same buttons inside your head, which is where I think the compairsons come from. You have to determine what is most important out of many things that are happening. The various threads in Camels are much more concrete than in Go. I can count how many camels in a color I am behind. I can see the obvious tacts I have to take to cut someone off. All in all as a two player game, I think I would rather play Go than Camels. But in a group of three or more I think this is a satisfying game. Hopefully I will get to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.