Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Mayo
United States
LAWRENCE
KS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the combat is all done through drawing combat cards (for both you and the monster), won't this get old really fast?

I could see that being fun for a few games, but after a while you're just drawing to see if you will/won't hit a specific section of a monster, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel monster combat is a bit bland even without considering replayability.
Also all monsters share the same cards (right?). So the monsters only differ in their special ability and the symbols they need to be killed. I would also prefer the combat to be a bit more tactical, it should make a difference if i hit the foot or the head first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayo
United States
LAWRENCE
KS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cool factor is definitely there. But Kemet exists. And so does Blood Rage. And they're much cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WafflesAndWorlds wrote:
The cool factor is definitely there. But Kemet exists. And so does Blood Rage. And they're much cheaper.

Good for you I guess

Some people don't like either of them though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayo
United States
LAWRENCE
KS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
WafflesAndWorlds wrote:

Good for you I guess

Well that's what I'm asking. Does this do MORE than those cheaper games? Or is this just Blood Rage: Mega Edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WafflesAndWorlds wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
WafflesAndWorlds wrote:

Good for you I guess

Well that's what I'm asking. Does this do MORE than those cheaper games? Or is this just Blood Rage: Mega Edition?

I see. Well I don't see anything in common with blood rage, so I cross it off the list.

For me it's the heroes, and the different win conditions that set it apart other than it's amazeballs presentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
WafflesAndWorlds wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
WafflesAndWorlds wrote:

Good for you I guess

I see. Well I don't see anything in common with blood rage, so I cross it off the list.

For me it's the heroes, and the different win conditions that set it apart other than it's amazeballs presentation.

I'm on the fence also as Kemet was a big disappointment for me and my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
I can comment a bit more of the Monster combat and say that's it's a actually got some fairly nuanced elements.

First there's a hard limit of 4 Combat cards in hand during the game. The only exception to this is during the Hunt phase (fighting a monster). You begin the Hunt by drawing Combat cards equal to your hero's strength. This important as the Hunt is essentially a hand management mini-game. The longer you've spent building up your hero before the fight, the better your chances (especially if the monster has evolved).

You start by playing any number of Combat cards that show a symbol matching any undamaged spaces on the monster card. You deal a damage to those areas and then the monster retaliates. *Edit* Changed this to reflect that you can actually play multiple cards to deal damage to multiple spaces at once. It may not be ideal to do this unless you can kill the monster though, as you'll still need to defend!

At this point the next player in clockwise order plays as the monster and draws 2 Monster Attack cards and selects 1 to play. These cards have all have a strength number associated with them as well as a special ability if the attack is undefended.

The attacking player then has to choose handle the attack. They can play any number of cards from their hand to meet or exceed the strength number from the Monster attack card. If they do choose to defend it, depending on the number of cards they played, they are then able to draw additional cards from the Combat card deck.

-1 card played = draw 2 cards
-2 cards played = draw 1 card
-3+ cards played = draw 0 cards

If they choose not to defend, they suffer a negative effect, as well as an injury listed on the Monster Attack card and draw 1 card. An injury means flipping the token on one of their 3 stats to drop that number to 1 (If a hero ever suffers a 4th injury, the Hunt immediately ends).

At this point the Hunt goes back to the first step with the attacker choosing to play a Combat card with a matching symbol on the Monster card. If they are unable to deal a wound here, the Hunt immediately ends.

If the Hunt ends for any reason, all damage remains on the monster leaving it vulnerable to other players.

So within that system there's a handful of other little combos to help with combat like a number of Zeus's blessings. Many of them give you some kind of advantage or ability to deal extra damage to monsters. There's also Artifacts with similar benefits. You can also combine 3 of the same types of weapons to damage any space if you're desperate.

As for the Monster Attack cards, they are pretty varied but also, there's only 18 of them. Which means since each "round" of combat with a monster means draw 2 play 1 from that deck...you're going to see most of those cards every time you fight. This helps you plan a bit as you start to know what to expect as the fight goes on.

Anyway, it's not a super deep system or anything but it can certainly be pretty interesting based on the the state of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayo
United States
LAWRENCE
KS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matt,

That's a really tidy summary. I'm still on the fence. One one hand, I like that there are a lot of influences for your combat decisions. On the other hand, the mechanic never changes. Monster #6 plays out like Monster #1, with the only variables being the particular defenses of that monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
On the other hand, monster hunting is but one of many other game features and perhaps does not need to be designed as if it were the main feature?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WafflesAndWorlds wrote:
Thanks Matt,

That's a really tidy summary. I'm still on the fence. One one hand, I like that there are a lot of influences for your combat decisions. On the other hand, the mechanic never changes. Monster #6 plays out like Monster #1, with the only variables being the particular defenses of that monster.

Glad to help if I can! As for the the differences in fighting other types of monsters? Yeah you're not wrong. Most monster fights are going to play out roughly the same, just with different damage symbols, special attacks to defend and potential evolutions. The main unique elements of a monster are in their rewards for slaying them (a unique Artifact) as well their Region attack after a monument is built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that might be following this thread I wanted to quickly clarify something I believe was incorrect in my post above (I've made the edit there now).

Someone pointed out that in a latest revision of the rulebook there was a line added that cleared something up for me. You can actually play multiple Combat cards to deal damage to multiple spaces at once. It may not be ideal to do this unless you can kill the monster though, as you'll still need to defend...but still a good thing to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.