Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My defenders in a narrow approach are a leading artillery unit and a (non leading) guard unit.
I'm surprised when the lead attacker is revealed to be another artillery unit causing me to learn the hard way to never pair a guard with a defending cannon!
After the initial result of one point from the barrage, I go through the defender loss sequence on page 7. I reach the third bullet in the sequence.

"If the leading infantry and cavalry and counter-attacking units are eliminated, any excess losses are applied to other defending units named in step 2, with the choice going to the defending player."

When I reach this step, if I WANT to choose the lead artillery unit to be the loss over the guard unit (that was a non leading non counter attacking defender named in step 2), can I save the guard and sacrifice the cannon?
Other similar questions regarding artillery and this sequence are concerned with "saving" the artillery. But the way I read it, it seems when you get to the "other defending units" (which has been clearly demonstrated in other posts to include the leading artillery unit), you can decide on "anyone" in THAT subgroup to be the casualty. Correct?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I understand the rules the same way as you do. You may sacrifice the artillery and save the Guard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're literaly describing Attack Example 3 from the rulebook. Under the illustration on page 8 you'll find the following description of how the example proceeds:

rules, page 8 wrote:

In step 10, the defender losses are calculated: the defender takes a loss of one for the amount the attack result is above zero, and chooses to assess the loss against the non-leading unit (he does not have to assess it against the leading unit because that unit is artillery...

The language I've called out with bold font wasn't chosen casually. The player in the example made a choice to take the loss by the non-leading unit; it was not a requirement. Choosing to assess it against the leading artillery was the other alternative, and sounds like a good idea in your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
You're literaly describing Attack Example 3 from the rulebook. Under the illustration on page 8...
I often overlook the example text when searching for an answer.
Sphere wrote:
...and sounds like a good idea in your situation.
Sure. Go ahead. Rub it in. cry
Worst I was expecting was a 2 strength unit in the enemy approach and not a surprise artillery unit. I should have had a 2 strength of my own in the approach to take a cannonball because the guards hate it when their tall hats get holes punched through them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the following statement correct both tactically and legally?:

After losing a battle. When choosing defender losses per the steps in the rules, you should always choose, if you can, to eliminate any defending artillery units NOW as a battle loss instead of infantry or cavalry before the Retreat step. This will save you from additional morale points being lost due to retreating artillery automaticity being eliminated.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me rephrase:

Make sure your artillery dies with honor!
Otherwise, your troops morale will suffer even more when the gun crews abandon their guns to flee like rats!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, if you have a choice, you obviously should avoid extra losses by abandoning otherwise unharmed artillery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I'm looking at this is because it's a unique moment in the game's combat system when the defender can penalize "himself" with a moral point loss just by making the wrong decision of "who" to lose. And unlike artillery in other approaches or non defenders in reserve, artillery defending in an attack CAN be counted as a loss and not just an extra casualty of a retreat. Just two more subtle facts of this multilayered system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Though a bit morbid, this thread is about how to kill one of your own units legally.
And so I offer the following:

A counter attack unit is named.
A one strength unit is turned face-up.
The counter-attacking unit takes an immediate one-strength point loss.
The unit is eliminated.

Legal? I believe so.

You might say that it's crazy nonsense and no one would ever do it! Keep in mind that I'm exploring what's "legal" and not what's rational.
I personally know one experienced opponent who would take the suicidal strength and morale loss just to mess with your mind. Crazy stuff is his style of play. Distracting, unnerving, unsettling tactics that attack your own rational view of a game. He pushes the legality of the rules which in itself is a distraction as you are forced to look up and rule on an absurd action. The above sequence is one such example. Legal as far as I can see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had to do something similar in my last game. Due to the capacity limit of the locale, I had to get rid of a 1-strength unit in an approach in order to bring some stronger units in for an attack next round.
So I attacked with 0 leading units, killing the unit with no damage to the enemy, who was entrenched on the other side of the approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.