B-17 Flying Fortress Leader» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Crossbow, March 1943, week 3 session report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Ratynski
msg tools
mbmbmb
Week 3 Overview:
Doing ok, but behind on VPs. Decided that another BG was needed, so the Hell's Angels, 303rd (G) BG, were assigned to allow 3 BGs per mission. Command decided that the V-targets were priority (since the campaign rules state any damaged V sites result in drawing more V-sites.. figured might as well try to take them out, get the VPs and reduce the overall number of V sites next month.

This meant using more standard bombs, but I did have 12 SO points left to buy some of the better ones, some for each mission, and that turned out to be a good decision.

Strategy: as mentioned before, destroy the V sites before more targets appear! 3 BGs per mission, going after the 2 damaged sites (V02 and V11).

Recon: successful on V11 (High); V02 was High already so no roll, though recon did notice that the prior damage had not been repaired) and decided not to recon another site this turn.. that may have been a mistake).

Wk 3, Mission 1: V11. The 91st and 385th were joined by the 303rd, and had fighter cover from the 4th FG. Good thing too. Event had the Germans adapting so Wray could not use his evasion if needed (it wasnt). Fighter response was Poor once again, but as we entered the target zone a ME-410 attacked! The 4th intercepted... 410 misses, and the 4th returns the favor.. repeat for the 2nd pass, and on the 3rd the 410 destroys 3 of the 4th, but the 4th manages to shoot down the 410! Drawing a chit, another 3 return home due to fuel, leaving the 4th Okay, but barely (but since in zone 11, should not be an issue).

Bomb run: FLAK was ineffective for the most part though the 385th continued to be a FLAK magnet and lost another point. Bomb run was steady, good view of the target, and our lead bombardier nailed it! Most of the ordnance hit the target, completely destroying it! Return flight was uneventful.

Wk 3, Mission 2: V02, 306th, 93rd, 97th, with the 78th FG flying top cover. LW response was POOR, and with no chits between us and the target the groups had a relatively stress free flight to the IP. In addition, +3 SO due to event (re supply) was a nice surprise! Now, if only the target zone would cooperate on this run...

FLAK damaged 1 in the 93rd but did not throw off the bomb run, and most of the ordnance hit the target! Completely destroyed, the groups turned for home...to find out that the LW was torqued and readying to attack (event was to re-roll at +3).. but, the pilots must have been drunk as the response was still Poor! Easy run home.

End of week 3 (and end of the month): 14 VP, with +3 SO left to carry over. At this rate, will get a Poor rating so I need to pick up the pace and destroy more targets.. but there will be more LW response, I am sure.

Will cover the month activities in the next report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Davis
msg tools
mb
Hi Dave,

Nice report! This game is both immersive and challenging at the same time.

Cheers,
Derek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned thinking about Recon again - did you have 2 Recon units bought as I thought you could only recon once per week?

Nice report - I've been pleasantly surprised by this game after being disappointed in Tiger Leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.