Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if this suffers from its big brother's primarily complaint, that all building are available at the start (mitigating variety, promoting self similar solutions, and analysis paralysis)?

The idea that new buildings are seeded semi-randomly from the actions of the players alleviates some of those concerns (not everything is available at the start), but I've been unable to determine whether:

a) All buildings will eventually be available, so the variability is more timing than absolute (still positive, in my estimation).

and/or

b) Whether any variability exists in the revealed starting buildings.

Just curious. I'm definitely excited to nab a copy when it releases in the states.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
This runs through the setup pretty well:

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/138136/caverna-cave-vs-cave/...

It appears that the 6 starting buildings and 4 starting actions are always the same, but after that the rooms are completely random from the set pool and the actions come out in tiers, but are random in the tier. I believe at the end they mention that often not all rooms will be excavated by the end of the game, which means you won't see all rooms each game (and you'll certainly not see them in the same order).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
What Chris is saying is that it's gonna be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
What Chris is saying is that it's gonna be awesome.

It does look cool. I never played the Agricola minigame, but on the other hand I've never played "normal" Caverna, and this looks pretty cool. Also, Rosenberg games tend to be too long to play w/my wife on weekday nights (she's usually up for ~1 hour before starting to fade after dinner/putting down child), so I'm hopeful this will be a hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.